• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top-ranked team vs Rest of the World XI

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
nah the others are better - kallis offers another bowling option

the bowling in the OD side there is shocking - get rid of flintoff and Vaas and bring in Shoaib and streak for mine

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Chaminda "seven-for and eight for and top wicket taker in the WC" Vaas and Andy "lowest economy rate in the WC" Flintoff?

twctopcat

International Regular
Mouth watering none the less, bring it on! As for kallis, move over for flintoff!! Perhaps a bit of bias there but everyone knows the real truth, freddy is the man!:lol:

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Neil Pickup said:
Chaminda "seven-for and eight for and top wicket taker in the WC" Vaas and Andy "lowest economy rate in the WC" Flintoff?
As Andy Bichel has just discovered, the world cup was a year ago.

But i would still have major considerations for Vaas. None for Flintoff.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Kenny said:
Nice concept, but don't they play enough international cricket already?
Ganguly brought that up today in an interview he had at training. With the amount of international cricket being played, it's going to be tough to fit that in.

Deja moo

International Captain
What if the top test and odi sides arent the same?

so will aus ( theoretically) play rest in a test, and then safrica( again theoretically) play rest in 3 odi's?

and who selects the rest of the world team?

will these be official matches?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
orangepitch said:
What if the top test and odi sides arent the same?

so will aus ( theoretically) play rest in a test, and then safrica( again theoretically) play rest in 3 odi's?

and who selects the rest of the world team?

will these be official matches?
1) If the top teams are different from OD to Test then that is what it will be. It is the best v the rest, so it would be silly to have the second rated team to play the rest.

2) It has not been decided who will select the teams, there is talk that the ICC will nominate a panal.

3) Originally there was talk to make the matches official tests and ODIs but that seems to have died down & the matches will now be first class matches.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
the ICC board would probably select teh side themselves

as for more cricket, well, its not that much more, only 8 extra days of cricket. thats not a big %

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
hourn said:
But i would still have major considerations for Vaas. None for Flintoff.
Flintoff has been bowling and batting even better since the WC.

Not for one moment am I advocating his playing in a World Test side until he gets more wickets, but to totally exclude him from a World ODI side smacks of total bias.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:
You forget that they're not Australian Neil...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Flintoff bat 30.16, bowl 24.62
Streak bat 27.27, bowl 30.00

Akhtar does have a better set of figures than Vaas, but the left handed option has to come into play.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
streak is more experienced...

i would want streak to bat for my team if it were in trouble and he can slog as well as flintoff for mine and leading the Zimbabwean team with the ball. and a good fielder.

if streak were playing for England i would say his stats might read a little better.

Vaas (v Aus)- averages 35 with the ball

Akhtar (v Aus) - averages 27 with the ball

Akhtar adds venom to the attack (as lee does to the Aussie attack) who cares if you have 1 left arm bowler - but if 1 left armer were needed i would suggest a spinner such as Vettori or even Pathan over Vaas

Langeveldt

Soutie
Apart from what he did to SA at Lords, which was amazing... I think Flintoff will get shown up by high quality bowling, especially when it comes down as spin...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
IMO a terrible idea.
Too much cricket already, total waste of time.
I hope and pray it doesn't get First-Class \ List-A Limited-Overs status.
"Rest-of" stuff is never something I like the look of. Just gimmicks.