• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

the best captain in the world

Who's the best skipper in the world

• Ricky Ponting

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Khaled Mahmud (we havn't seen habibul yet)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brian Lara

• Sourav Ganguly

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Inzamam ul Haq

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Stephen Fleming

Votes: 29 74.4%
  • Michael Vaughan

• Heath Streak

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Marvan Attapattu

• Hashan Tillakaratne

• Graeme Smith

• Total voters

Choora

State Regular
BlackCap_Fan said:
expecially in the india in nz series!

:lol:
The whole team played poorly in unfamiliar conditions.There is no way one can blame the captain for it.

How did NZ fared in Pak? ...LOL , forget away seies, even in NZ ,NZ team was blown away by just one spell from Akhter.Flemming looked more like the towel boy in that match:P

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Choora said:
What so funny about it? Ganguly has shown time and again that he is the finest captain around!
Well of course that is your opinion.

In the test series I felt that Ganguly was always too keen to go on the defensive, even when his team was well on top......as soon as someone hit a few fours, often he would revert to a ring field - he did this once when he had a lead of some 400 runs! One or two slips, etc.......and often he displays a lack of imagination with bowling changes and so on.

But then that is just my opinion.

With what most people think is a batting line up equal to or better than Australia's, shouldn't India be rated more highly than they are if he is such a great captain?

Choora

State Regular
Kenny said:

With what most people think is a batting line up equal to or better than Australia's, shouldn't India be rated more highly than they are if he is such a great captain?
Should they? is batting alone enough to win matches? Has India's stuggle for the last 16 years overseas been coz of Ganguly's leadeship?

I believe India's rating will improve in near future, that is because the team is now more balanced with superb batters and some fine bowlers, bowles that can perform well abroad too(something which wasn't the case before)

Deja moo

International Captain
I said Ganguly's a great leader of men, not great captain.......if not for him, India wouldnt be where it is now........there's practically no difference between the batting linup of india in 99 and 2003-4, but look at the difference in results......surely its a major improvement under him?

and, India's doesnt have to be better than Australia's for him to be rated a great captain.......we have 3 new bowlers playing their first series...considering this, he's done a great job.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Kenny said:
Ganguly - best leader of men??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And Ponting - 'luckiest captain' - how so?
Well Ganguly has instilled a lot of toughness and self-belief into his men which was not present in previous Indian sides who have traditionally been rather meek.
He has done to India what Ranatunga did to Sri Lanka circa 95-96.

There are good qualities to every captain --- and Ganguly is not without his.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Ganguly - like Graeme Smith - definitely comes across as an excellent leader of men to me.

Both are lacking in other departments, but Ganguly has got the Indian side playing as so much more of a unit and with so much less regionalist bias, it's commendable.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Fleming tactically the numero uno without a doubt....that gets him my vote.

Inzi is one of the worst captains to set foot on the international stage for quite a while.....its only a matter of time before he's deposed , the sooner the better methinks.

Ganguly - as stated by Neil - deserves credit for the way he's brought the Indians together & instilled a real sense of pride & self beleif , particularly in the younger players , Ganguly & India in the 2000's reaks of Allan Border & the Australians of the 1980's , whether similar results will follow only time will tell , they have the raw ability.

Smith has a very powerful squad at his control & handles them efficiently , although his comments to the media on Lance Klusener severely lowered my opinion of him.

Ponting is really not the best man for the job to be honest , he's a good tactical thinker & utilises his side's potential.
But there is a better man for the job....at this moment he's probably in a gym somewhere in St Kilda sweating it out in the hope of being called up for Sri Lanka ....SK Warne.
Now if you take on-feild matters only into account , then really Warne would have no peer , he has one of the best cricket-brains (although I usually avoid this term as its generally BS , I feel its appropriate here) on the planet , he is tactically as good as Fleming IMO & he's a great motivator of men.
He knows the game inside out which is ironic given his lack of insight off the feild , the ACB robbed the Australian cricketing public by letting off feild 'goings-on' cloud their judgement.
But alas that was in February 2002 , since then Warne's been involved in a couple of ***ual misconduct type cases with a South African woman & a 16 year old Brisbane girl :lol:
As well as the infamous pill-popping.
Thanks to deeds of his own doing he will never captain his country , which is a crying shame as I would've gone for him hands down in this particular poll.

Last edited:

Don Ricardo

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Agree with the point about S.K. Warne
In the odd occasions that he has captained Aus in the ODIs he has been brilliant, and really seems to add something to the team through his ability to improvise and not conform to the norms (ie he bowled Ponting first change for a full 10 overs in one game, who repayed him with good figures of 1/40 odd)

Pity these events have contrived to stop him being considered, as i believe he would have been ever in tests due to the greater freedom available in this form of the game.

Don Ricardo

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
orangepitch said:

Best leader by example- Ganguly\Graeme smith

The example ganguly sets is the field is pathetic- he has to be the second laziest fielder in the world (behind inzy), and the way he just drops his shoulders and gives the look of "i dont give a stuff" on his face when things are going bad would not be a great thing to see if you were an indian bowler toiling away. I know you are an indian fan, but come on, remove your eyepatch!

Best leader by example is definately streak. He carries the team on his two broad shoulders, both with bat and ball and in the field.

In all fairness though, i do agree with the point that ganguly is a good leader of men, as he has instilled a spine in what once was am often flimly touring team.

Last edited:

twctopcat

International Regular
Don Ricardo said:
The example ganguly sets is the field is pathetic- he has to be the second laziest fielder in the world (behind inzy), and the way he just drops his shoulders and gives the look of "i dont give a stuff" on his face when things are going bad would not be a great thing to see if you were an indian bowler toiling away. I know you are an indian fan, but come on, remove your eyepatch!
I agree, i don't know how many times this series i have seen him misfield due to lasck of concentration, seems to have a permanent glazed look on his face. I respect the way he believes in every member of his team but in terms of changes in the field etc he just seems to go with the motions until tendlkar or dravid suggests something, which he usually complies with.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Kenny said:
Left of centre ideas too.....bit like Mike Brearley, except Fleming is a better player than Michael.
Only in recent times I'd suggest.

Prior to that, I wouldn't be so sure...

Slow Love™

International Captain
Looking at the list, it strikes me that there are no absolutely brilliant captains around at the moment.

Anyhow, I'd say the top three are Fleming, Ganguly and Smith. I don't rate Ponting very highly, and I think over the next year or so, he's very likely to lose a couple of series (it won't be all his fault though).

Surprised at some of the votes for Streak - while he's certainly an inspirational player and unlucky to be in charge of such a weak squad, I think that Zimbabwe's problems in terms of team strength have only been exacerbated by Streak's lousy captaincy.

FRAZ

International Captain
I voted for Ganguly because simply India has got nothing significant in their bowling department and the way he shapes up a club level bowling attack into a reasonable attack means he is the best .