• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Yuvraj Singh

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
from all that ive seen of him playing he looks like a great player and would be a great asset to the indian test side - particularly in the field, however the indian batting is strong and it would be hard for him to get in without an injury.

he could replace Chopra, but he has been a valuable asset opening the batting...

the other batsman he could replace is Ganguly - Yuvraj has a higher first class average than Ganguly by 1, so you would think that there wouldn't be too much difference in the batting strength but Yuvraj is a far superior fielder - yesterday the channel 9 commentators where commenting on what a difference someone like that can make to a feilding side.

as for the captaincy - Tendulkar, Dravid, VVS or Anil Kumble all like to have their say and im sure could do at least almost as good a job as Ganguly if not better. just a thought anyway cause the Indian ground fielding could realy use a boost

NikhilN

International Regular
He should replace chopra...chopra is a slow scorer(not that it is a bad thing) but he always gets out at low scores beside 1 or 2 times he plays good.but then India will lack an opener

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I am a HUGE fan of Yuvraj, but in no way should Ganguly be stripped of captaincy and removed from the Test side. The only guy he could replace is Chopra, but then India would need to mould another opener. I think Chopra deserves to open in the Pakistan series, and if he does well he can cement his spot. He didn't have a poor test series, just a semi-decent one.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
age_master said:
as for the captaincy - Tendulkar, Dravid, VVS or Anil Kumble all like to have their say and im sure could do at least almost as good a job as Ganguly if not better. just a thought anyway cause the Indian ground fielding could realy use a boost
Kumble? Lol. Laxman? Lol harder. Dravid? Perhaps...

Tendulkar? He had his chance and didn't do poorly, but Ganguly has done better. Doesn't he have one of the best captaincy records for India?

Mingster

State Regular
sachintendulkar said:
He should replace chopra...chopra is a slow scorer(not that it is a bad thing) but he always gets out at low scores beside 1 or 2 times he plays good.but then India will lack an opener
Chopra has a good average of 30 but has only 1 50. He's a good foil to Sehwag in the Tests and put on good parterships wit hhim in the Test series. Keep him.

Singh's chance will come.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
what crap? there is no way anyone can replace a class batter like ganguly. What you been smoking? I would like some of it.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
the only other option if Chopra was dropped(which i don't think he should) would be to move Patel to opener, i think he would do a good job in the tests...

But at this stage i think Yuvraj should just bide his time, one will go sooner or later....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
ReallyCrazy said:
what crap? there is no way anyone can replace a class batter like ganguly.
This is now Tests we're talking about - not his strongest game IMO, even if he is still a good player.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Re: Re: Yuvraj Singh

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Kumble? Lol. Laxman? Lol harder. Dravid? Perhaps...

Tendulkar? He had his chance and didn't do poorly, but Ganguly has done better. Doesn't he have one of the best captaincy records for India?
Why do you say that about Laxman Liam ?

He's captained Hyderabad and Rest of India at domestic level and his captaincy has been very impressive.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mingster said:
Chopra has a good average of 30 but has only 1 50. He's a good foil to Sehwag in the Tests and put on good parterships wit hhim in the Test series. Keep him.

Singh's chance will come.
30 a good average?:lol:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
This is now Tests we're talking about - not his strongest game IMO, even if he is still a good player.
Exactly - he is a good player. One who has a record which more than holds down a Test place.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Re: Re: Re: Yuvraj Singh

jamesryfler said:
Why do you say that about Laxman Liam ?

He's captained Hyderabad and Rest of India at domestic level and his captaincy has been very impressive.
Chanderpaul and Hooper both captained Guyana to rave reviews and neither could captain West Indies.

Cactus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
re:re:re:re: yuvraj

Chopra better than Yuvraj?????
:D that's about the funniest thing i've heard all summer.
yuvraj's talent is amazing....no questions asked!

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Re: Re: Re: Re: Yuvraj Singh

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Chanderpaul and Hooper both captained Guyana to rave reviews and neither could captain West Indies.
Maybe so...but isn't every captain unproven then until he takes the reins at international level ?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Ganguly is a good test batsman but has not always looked adept to be in the Indian Test XI IMO.

The best thing would have been to have Dravid captain even thuogh it seems too severe on the guy and he is an introvert by nature so that some one like Ganguly may be replaced by some one like Yuvraj or some one of a better batting talent for tests.

Yuvraj should definitely have played more tests for India. I wouldnt say Yuvraj should replace the likes of a Chopra coz opening is a different ball game. You dont know if he will succeed or fail like several others at that number.

But the problem is, you dont just chop and change captains. Taylor in Australia should have played lesser tests than he did but even Australia who had suitable replacements back then in Waugh and Gilly later on couldnt just 'chop and change'. And Ganguly is doing a very good job as captain.

Its a big dilemna I cant find a solution to. Ganguly has not always looked good enough to hold his place in the test XI though his century in the first test in Australia (his best yet IMO) shows he has improved tremendously now, hasnt always looked the part.

As for the current scenario, Ganguly is batting well now and has gone out of his horrid for/phase of batting in tests. So it will be quite some time before the likes of Yuvraj get a chance sadly.

harry674

School Boy/Girl Captain
sachintendulkar said:
sachin where r u in NJ? maybe we can meet and play cricket sometime.i have whole kit +property to play cricket.

Craig

World Traveller
Re: Re: Re: Re: Yuvraj Singh

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Digging up this thread, but why couldnt Chanders captain WI?

Cactus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
even though i'm getting a bit of track....what's this Anti Ganguly Club??? i'm officially their number ! supporter.....if the founder is in need of any donations, they should talk to me! i'd be only to glad to help!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Richard said:
Exactly - he is a good player. One who has a record which more than holds down a Test place.
No one is denying that. I would love to have Yuvraj in the test team but there is simply no room. Chopra may not have the best average but right now he is the best option India have to open the batting which is a very important role, and Yuvraj is not an opening batsman. The only solution could be moulding Patel as an opener as Blewy said, and then slotting Yuvraj in at 7.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Yuvraj Singh

jamesryfler said:
Maybe so...but isn't every captain unproven then until he takes the reins at international level ?
No.
There is no difference in the rules for domestic and international cricket. So for the same reason that most players who outperform their peers at domestic cricket will outperform them too at international level, captaincy skills are the same at each.