Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yuvraj Singh

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!

Yuvraj Singh

from all that ive seen of him playing he looks like a great player and would be a great asset to the indian test side - particularly in the field, however the indian batting is strong and it would be hard for him to get in without an injury.

he could replace Chopra, but he has been a valuable asset opening the batting...

the other batsman he could replace is Ganguly - Yuvraj has a higher first class average than Ganguly by 1, so you would think that there wouldn't be too much difference in the batting strength but Yuvraj is a far superior fielder - yesterday the channel 9 commentators where commenting on what a difference someone like that can make to a feilding side.

as for the captaincy - Tendulkar, Dravid, VVS or Anil Kumble all like to have their say and im sure could do at least almost as good a job as Ganguly if not better. just a thought anyway cause the Indian ground fielding could realy use a boost
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

He should replace chopra...chopra is a slow scorer(not that it is a bad thing) but he always gets out at low scores beside 1 or 2 times he plays good.but then India will lack an opener
    liveyalifenikhilsway@hotmail.com -MSN

Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Hello and welcome back
    Rain has stopped and palyers are back in the middle
    Play is about to stop

I am a HUGE fan of Yuvraj, but in no way should Ganguly be stripped of captaincy and removed from the Test side. The only guy he could replace is Chopra, but then India would need to mould another opener. I think Chopra deserves to open in the Pakistan series, and if he does well he can cement his spot. He didn't have a poor test series, just a semi-decent one.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar

Re: Yuvraj Singh

Originally posted by age_master
    as for the captaincy - Tendulkar, Dravid, VVS or Anil Kumble all like to have their say and im sure could do at least almost as good a job as Ganguly if not better. just a thought anyway cause the Indian ground fielding could realy use a boost
    Kumble? Lol. Laxman? Lol harder. Dravid? Perhaps...

Tendulkar? He had his chance and didn't do poorly, but Ganguly has done better. Doesn't he have one of the best captaincy records for India?
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Originally posted by sachintendulkar
    He should replace chopra...chopra is a slow scorer(not that it is a bad thing) but he always gets out at low scores beside 1 or 2 times he plays good.but then India will lack an opener
    Chopra has a good average of 30 but has only 1 50. He's a good foil to Sehwag in the Tests and put on good parterships wit hhim in the Test series. Keep him.

Singh's chance will come.

what crap? there is no way anyone can replace a class batter like ganguly. What you been smoking? I would like some of it.

the only other option if Chopra was dropped(which i don't think he should) would be to move Patel to opener, i think he would do a good job in the tests...

But at this stage i think Yuvraj should just bide his time, one will go sooner or later....

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Originally posted by ReallyCrazy
    what crap? there is no way anyone can replace a class batter like ganguly.
    This is now Tests we're talking about - not his strongest game IMO, even if he is still a good player.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar

Re: Re: Yuvraj Singh

Originally posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    Kumble? Lol. Laxman? Lol harder. Dravid? Perhaps...

Tendulkar? He had his chance and didn't do poorly, but Ganguly has done better. Doesn't he have one of the best captaincy records for India?
    Why do you say that about Laxman Liam ?

He's captained Hyderabad and Rest of India at domestic level and his captaincy has been very impressive.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Originally posted by Mingster
    Chopra has a good average of 30 but has only 1 50. He's a good foil to Sehwag in the Tests and put on good parterships wit hhim in the Test series. Keep him.

Singh's chance will come.
    30 a good average?
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Originally posted by marc71178
    This is now Tests we're talking about - not his strongest game IMO, even if he is still a good player.
    Exactly - he is a good player. One who has a record which more than holds down a Test place.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar

Re: Re: Re: Yuvraj Singh

Originally posted by jamesryfler
    Why do you say that about Laxman Liam ?

He's captained Hyderabad and Rest of India at domestic level and his captaincy has been very impressive.
    Chanderpaul and Hooper both captained Guyana to rave reviews and neither could captain West Indies.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

re:re:re:re: yuvraj

Chopra better than Yuvraj?????
    that's about the funniest thing i've heard all summer.
    yuvraj's talent is amazing....no questions asked!
    - - - - - - - - - -> Z!

International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Yuvraj Singh

Originally posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    Chanderpaul and Hooper both captained Guyana to rave reviews and neither could captain West Indies.
    Maybe so...but isn't every captain unproven then until he takes the reins at international level ?

Ganguly is a good test batsman but has not always looked adept to be in the Indian Test XI IMO.

The best thing would have been to have Dravid captain even thuogh it seems too severe on the guy and he is an introvert by nature so that some one like Ganguly may be replaced by some one like Yuvraj or some one of a better batting talent for tests.

Yuvraj should definitely have played more tests for India. I wouldnt say Yuvraj should replace the likes of a Chopra coz opening is a different ball game. You dont know if he will succeed or fail like several others at that number.

But the problem is, you dont just chop and change captains. Taylor in Australia should have played lesser tests than he did but even Australia who had suitable replacements back then in Waugh and Gilly later on couldnt just 'chop and change'. And Ganguly is doing a very good job as captain.

Its a big dilemna I cant find a solution to. Ganguly has not always looked good enough to hold his place in the test XI though his century in the first test in Australia (his best yet IMO) shows he has improved tremendously now, hasnt always looked the part.

As for the current scenario, Ganguly is batting well now and has gone out of his horrid for/phase of batting in tests. So it will be quite some time before the likes of Yuvraj get a chance sadly.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information