• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bangladesh ODI watch

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Could Bangladesh have finally turned the corner? The ODI side is now possibly better (although not in the rankings) than WI, Pakistan, England and perhaps even a Sanga & Mahela-less SL

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Second best Asian team in Asia in my opinion. I still think they need to win some series outside the sub-continent.

Athlai

Not Terrible
They turned a corner in 2011 when the current generation started to get a few years experience. Their record since then has been ODI standard easily.

I think it shapes up pretty well to when SL became decent if you measure it in years as well. Obviously Bangers have played a lot more matches than SL did when they started out, but the development hasn't been as slow as it has felt.

Athlai

Not Terrible
2023 is their World Cup to lose, IMO :ph34r:
In all seriousness they could still have a lot of their lineup in 2023.

Tamim will be 34
Rahim will be 34
Shakib will be 36
Sarkar will be 30
Nasir will be 31
Taskin will be 28
Rubel will be 33

If you bank on 75% of those guys being there and hopefully at a slightly higher or at the very least more experienced standard than they are now, thats a pretty solid backbone to the team. Gives them 8 years to find players to compliment or replace them.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The success is all down to Mushfiqur btw.

As a side note it should be noted that Flem is a Rahim hater.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Would like to see SL play without Sanga/Mahela in the SC for a while before making a judgement but I find it hard to believe they'd be better than us at this stage, our bowlers are pretty damn good at the choke on turning pitches.

cnerd123

likes this
They turned a corner in 2011 when the current generation started to get a few years experience. Their record since then has been ODI standard easily.

I think it shapes up pretty well to when SL became decent if you measure it in years as well. Obviously Bangers have played a lot more matches than SL did when they started out, but the development hasn't been as slow as it has felt.
Yea 2014 was an aberration. A bad year. They turned a corner when they Banglawashed NZ, and also reaching the Asia Cup finals some time later.

They need to play overseas more. And they need a bit more depth. But they're getting there.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Reminds me of that part in the simpsons where marge is being consoled by the therapist after she remembers her dad being a steward...

"You might say he was a pioneer"

"Yeah, you might even say he was an American hero"

"Lets not go mad"

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Bangladesh have gone from poor to mediocre bordering on good in a fairly short amount of time. Since the team is so young I reckon they'll be well into the 'good' part of the spectrum by 2019.

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
Bangladesh has been good,they've been awesome has a unit.But don't think they have massive firepower left in their tanks.Their bowlers do need to impress.ODI cricket is not that tough.Only test cricket will test them.They need to groom their fast bowlers well.I was impressed by Taskin Ahmed as a pacie.Even Rubel was okay.They need more pace and aggression.That's what these Bangla bowlers are lacking atm.Their batsmen look okay.But they need batsman like Anamula Haque to step up.They've got lot of spinning all rounder.Its high time they need to find a proper fast bowling all rounder.Pakistan had Imran Khan and India had Kapil Dev to lift their spirits when they were going low.Sri Lanka had agggressive batsman in Sanath,Aravinda and Arjuna.Later on they banked upo Vaas And Murali who turned out to be great.Same thing needs to happen from Bangladesh perspective.They need individuals who could lift the burden of the entire nation.If that happens they'll be a side to watch

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cricket-chat/66470-cricket-web-net-fantasy-test-draft.html

Sign up for this fantasy draft,where you could pick the likes of Marshall,Ambrose,Wasim,Sachin in your team! We have 4 more spots to be filled.If interested please do comment on this thread with your preferred team name.At the end a voting procedure will select the prune th no.of players to 8 and finally a final to pick who the best manager is.Mark my words it will be an amazing draft experience.For more info do visit this thread!

cnerd123

likes this
Yea Shakib is definitely the Imran/Kapil/Hadlee/Mankad of Bangladesh.

Also FWIW BD's U-19 unit has been awesome for close to a decade now. I remember following them all the way back in 2005 when Shakib was still playing for them and they were tearing it up all over the world.

They just beat SA U-19 too. As usual, the issue is the young guns are thrust into International cricket too soon and struggle to catch up. Which is why it's important BD build a solid core group of players now, and get the A Team and U-19 guys more exposure overseas, so the next gen can have an easier step up to Nat cricket.

I think BD's struggles with pace bowling will match those of India and SL's closely; due to similar pitches and cricketing cultures. Which is why it's great to see Taskin and Rubel bowling well. Hopefully they have long successful careers in all formats from here.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
As usual, the issue is the young guns are thrust into International cricket too soon and struggle to catch up. Which is why it's important BD build a solid core group of players now, and get the A Team and U-19 guys more exposure overseas, so the next gen can have an easier step up to Nat cricket
It has been a major problem. Still feel Soumya needed another 1 year or so. Same with Anamul. Anamul had to undergo major technique transformation just recently and national team should not be the place for this.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yes, Bangladesh has turned the corner. I have really enjoyed watching them from the world cup onwards. Mahmudullah is fast becoming one of my favourite players to watch. It's great to see them do well.