• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's best ever bowler

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Most bowlers of the pre 1970s bowled at relatively low average batsmen. Aside from a short Bradman era.
The era from Hobbs saw a significant rise in batting averages. I've always assumed this was to do with better wickets.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Benaud rated Barnes as the grestest English bowler and second best quick of all behind only Lillee. I believe he rated Trueman next in line followed by Larwood. He rated them all in his top 6 along with Lillee, McGrath and Lindwall.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Why are people even taking this seriously? It's so obviously tongue-in-cheek clickbait that isn't actually claiming Hoggard is England's best ever bowler -- it's an interesting statistical exercise with no relevance beyond itself, and they pretty clearly recognise that.

The correct answer is Larwood, ftr.

watson

Banned
Why are people even taking this seriously? It's so obviously tongue-in-cheek clickbait that isn't actually claiming Hoggard is England's best ever bowler -- it's an interesting statistical exercise with no relevance beyond itself, and they pretty clearly recognise that.

The correct answer is Larwood, ftr.
Not the Beeb at it again? Snow.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
English cricket is senseless.From what I've seen their best bowler has been Anderson.He has been good in SC as well.He has got Sachin out most no.of times than any other bowler
Oh well then, that's it then.

Dunno why Derek Underwood doesn't rate a bigger mention tbh. Not saying he's the best, just he probably belongs in the argument somewhere.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'm a big fan of batsman and the overall quality of cricket being better in the modern era, but Hoggard? Tell him he's dreamin

Daemon

I'm terrible with these things but the formula seems flawed. If bowler A and B have got 10 wickets of a batsman averaging 50 each they'll have the same rating. If A goes on to take an additional wicket of some tailender his rating suffers. Can't see any logic there.

OverratedSanity

I'm terrible with these things but the formula seems flawed. If bowler A and B have got 10 wickets of a batsman averaging 50 each they'll have the same rating. If A goes on to take an additional wicket of some tailender his rating suffers. Can't see any logic there.
If that's what the article does, then yep it's stupid. Essentially punishes a bowler for being better at taking wickets.

It's the same with stats like %age of centuries in winning causes. Batsman A has 15 out of his 45 in wins. Batsman B has 15 out of 16 in wins. Therefore, Batsman B is a better match winner and a better batsman. Makes a whole lot of sense doesn't it 8-)

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Wrong. Larwood.

I will go to my grave proclaiming Larwood as England's best ever bowler, and, in all likelihood, the greatest bowler of all time. So I'm not exactly objective.
Have you read Duncan Hamilton's bio? One of the greatest cricket books of all time.

Larwood was a tremendous bowler. And at the end of the book I almost liked Jardine.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
If that's what the article does, then yep it's stupid. Essentially punishes a bowler for being better at taking wickets.

It's the same with stats like %age of centuries in winning causes. Batsman A has 15 out of his 45 in wins. Batsman B has 15 out of 16 in wins. Therefore, Batsman B is a better match winner and a better batsman. Makes a whole lot of sense doesn't it 8-)
Depends on length of batsmen's career ;)

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Have you read Duncan Hamilton's bio? One of the greatest cricket books of all time.

Larwood was a tremendous bowler. And at the end of the book I almost liked Jardine.
Only a couple of times. Probably due a re-read, now that you mention it. Absolutely brilliant book.