• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Cricket Dhaba

Best thread name

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
We'd rather not waste our country's top Test players in this, whether they're doing well or struggling. Sunil Gavaskar's 36* didn't make ODIs irrelevant, so there's no way the Indians' poor T20I record will wish T20I away. But this idea of overworking Dhawan, Kohli, Ashwin and any other Test player in T20Is can stop. It's better if proper T20I players play these games.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We'd rather not waste our country's top Test players in this, whether they're doing well or struggling. Sunil Gavaskar's 36* didn't make ODIs irrelevant, so there's no way the Indians' poor T20I record will wish T20I away. But this idea of overworking Dhawan, Kohli, Ashwin and any other Test player in T20Is can stop. It's better if proper T20I players play these games.
It's 40 overs, about 40% of which are spent in the dressing room. No one's getting overworked.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
It's 40 overs, about 40% of which are spent in the dressing room. No one's getting overworked.
So it's a mix of batting out a long innings with big partnerships, then smashing big sixes and plenty of fours, then batting out a somewhat long innings with a healthy dose of singles. We'd rather conserve Dhawan, Kohli and Rahane for big innings in Tests and have the likes of Raina, Kedar and Gurkeerat smash six after six in ODIs. Likewise, we'd rather have Ashwin working on wicket-taking deliveries than bowling flat ones that supposedly can't be hit for six. Or Umesh Yadav bowling in the high 140s than trying to bowl innocuous line-and-length. Besides winning some T20I trophies, of course.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I love following Jadeja in Ranji. 90 and 11 wickets in the first match. Now, 50 and 6 wickets in the first innings of second match. No batting/bowling failure so far in any innings. Hero.

cnerd123

likes this
So it's a mix of batting out a long innings with big partnerships, then smashing big sixes and plenty of fours, then batting out a somewhat long innings with a healthy dose of singles. We'd rather conserve Dhawan, Kohli and Rahane for big innings in Tests and have the likes of Raina, Kedar and Gurkeerat smash six after six in ODIs. Likewise, we'd rather have Ashwin working on wicket-taking deliveries than bowling flat ones that supposedly can't be hit for six. Or Umesh Yadav bowling in the high 140s than trying to bowl innocuous line-and-length. Besides winning some T20I trophies, of course.
None of that actually happens tho.

The guys just play it like a condensed ODI. The batsmen are a bit more aggressive, bowlers a bit less attacking, but all in all it's a way to get some time in the middle before the 'real' cricket starts. Ashwin was still flighting the ball, the quicks were trying to bowl good lengths up front, then yorkers at the end. The batsmen were playing proper cricketing strokes, just with the intent to score off every ball. Axar bowled the same rubbish darts he always does. And the fielders were trying to put in 20 high intensity overs in the field.

Really doubt it's messing with their heads tbh.

Niall

International Coach
Sidharth Monga: India's T20 line-up problem | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

interesting article that, the lack of power in the order for India the main discussion. The reason they lost the world cup final last year was Yuvraj who was once a ATG finisher stunk it out and Dhoni couldn't get going while Raina watched on.
I'd be interested to see Raina at 3 where for so long ( bar this season) been an absolute beast for Chennai. Gurkeerat who was name dropped last page a good suggestion for the lower order hitter from ball one role. Although I'd love to see India have a look at HOODA or Yadav of KKR both players who can go hard early on.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
India's greatest ever batsman and cricketer finally met God himself

sachin tendulkar meets wasim akram.jpg

No offence guys. Just a joke :D

Last edited:

nsniks

State Vice-Captain
I would like the team to give Iyer a chance at top alongside Rohit with Virat and Raina coming at 3 and 4 with Dhoni following them in T20's. Iyer also seems to be in good form now

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Kohli is so good right now that he should just bat 3 across formats for us, a la Ponting. I am wondering if India will get more in LOI with Rohit at 5 and Rahane opening than the other way around.

cnerd123

likes this
So since we all know Ravi Shastri loves to lurk these forums in his spare time, what do you suggest we do with the ODI XI?

GI Joe suggests we bring in Uthappa, bump MSD to 4, and drop Rahane. Not a terrible idea, but still leaves us with a big hole at 7.

I'd prefer we stick with Openers-Rahane-Kohli-MSD-Raina, and we bring in some like Jadhav/Uthappa to bat at 7, with Raina, Rohit and Kohli bowling more.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Dhoni can' hit out anymore, but he's still a master of finding the gaps and getting the singles. All Binny needed to do was get one single boundary and the game could have been won.

So what we really need is a couple of power hitters to bat alongside him, especially in the sub-continent. Raina and Uthappa fit the bill. Ideally I'd have a lineup of Rohit-Dhawan-Kohli-Dhoni-Raina-Uthappa.

cnerd123

likes this
Dhoni wont be around in 2019 tho, yet Rahane will be.

Wouldnt it be better to start grooming a new keeper with that in mind, and letting Rahane find his feet in ODIs?

I mean this is exactly what I was taking about when I was ranting about Rohit. He was doing much worse than Rahane was and for much longer, with several better options on the bench, but kept on getting picked. Rahane hasn't even done that badly and has a killer Test record to boot, and already we're talking about dropping him. We barely have any better alternatives too.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Dhoni wont be around in 2019 tho, yet Rahane will be.

Wouldnt it be better to start grooming a new keeper with that in mind, and letting Rahane find his feet in ODIs?

I mean this is exactly what I was taking about when I was ranting about Rohit. He was doing much worse than Rahane was and for much longer, with several better options on the bench, but kept on getting picked. Rahane hasn't even done that badly and has a killer Test record to boot, and already we're talking about dropping him. We barely have any better alternatives too.
That's the problem though - I'm not sure he won't be around. If Dhoni and the selectors think he'll be around come 2019, he needs to bat 4. Continuing to dick round lower down the order tells us nothing about whether he'd be useful at 4.

cnerd123

likes this
Has he spoken about the 2019 WC in any interviews or stuff recently? Or maybe the selectors/Shastri?

He definitely can't make it till then batting at 5/6. Which sucks because we dont have the resources to fill 5/6/7 without him, and also because that means Rahane gets left out.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I think he wants to play till 2019 WC obviously, but he is looking towards the CT 2017 as the important point where he'll make that decision. Kohli would be captain for over 2 years then, so if the need arises he can take over with 2 years to go for the WC.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
We don't yet know how the World Cup 2019 team will shape up. That's too far ahead. They have to try to win as many matches and tournaments as possible, even if Dhoni carries on. After all, whom do we have besides him? There's Dinesh Karthik, Saha, and the possibility of Sanju Samson eventually being good enough for India will exist then. But the days of the prolific wicketkeeper-batsman may be as good as over, and they'll have to pick the bloke who can keep to spinners best.

We don't know how many more matches they'll lose till Rahane's good enough in limited overs. I'm not sure it's worth it. Rather, he can concentrate on Tests, while the likes of Gurkeerat, Jadhav, Mayank Agarwal and other limited-overs players fill those teams.

There's not much an Indian team can win with seam-up bowlers barely as tall as most of the batsmen and bowling slow medium-pace. They'll need to strengthen the seam bowling camp by picking blokes who are, at the very least, sufficiently tall and athletic. We're looking at a camp with blokes like Umesh, Pankaj Singh, Pandey, Varun Aaron and possibly Ishant. Exceptions may be made for all-rounders, but only up to a limit.

The immediate target, besides fixing the Test side, is getting right their team for the forthcoming World T20. Pick the blokes who've been doing well in IPL and SMAT.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I honestly think Dhoni will call it a day after the T20 WC. So he might as well bat 4 till then. Ideally, Rohit is the guy who can muscle it the longest in this side and one of the very few who is comfortable doing it from ball 1. He batted at 4 for such a long time for MI too in the IPL even this season. It would be awesome if we had Rohit and Raina batting 5 and 6 for us, esp. in SC conditions.

But Rohit has been in God mode in ODIs and T20s and esp. in our conditions, the possibility exists that he will just tear it up and score huge. So it is very difficult to move him out of the opening slot. Unfortunately, this generally means one of Dhawan and Rahane should sit out. I love Rahane but his time will come, esp. in ODIs. For now, I think we should start grooming a more aggressive #6 and see if Binny can cut the mustard as a #7. Else we go back to Sir.

How about Gurkeerat? Is he a big hitter? Boy we miss someone like a Yusuf Pathan now,don't we? Never thought I ll see the day.

Niall

International Coach
I honestly think Dhoni will call it a day after the T20 WC. So he might as well bat 4 till then. Ideally, Rohit is the guy who can muscle it the longest in this side and one of the very few who is comfortable doing it from ball 1. He batted at 4 for such a long time for MI too in the IPL even this season. It would be awesome if we had Rohit and Raina batting 5 and 6 for us, esp. in SC conditions.

But Rohit has been in God mode in ODIs and T20s and esp. in our conditions, the possibility exists that he will just tear it up and score huge. So it is very difficult to move him out of the opening slot. Unfortunately, this generally means one of Dhawan and Rahane should sit out. I love Rahane but his time will come, esp. in ODIs. For now, I think we should start grooming a more aggressive #6 and see if Binny can cut the mustard as a #7. Else we go back to Sir.

How about Gurkeerat? Is he a big hitter? Boy we miss someone like a Yusuf Pathan now,don't we? Never thought I ll see the day.
Memory is bad at best of times, but from what I seen in IPL, he knows how to go big and most importantly he doesn't need to many balls to get going which is crucial.

The likes of Hooda and Yadev also are destructive. One of them needs to be given a chance, India need someone towards the end who can play the Yuvraj role.

On Rahene, he opens or does not play, he is not needed otherwise as India have enough players who do what he does.