• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Cricket Dhaba

Best thread name

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well yes, and in those 3 years, our biggest problem in ODIs has been what? Finishing.

I'm all for Pant too but this isn't a poor decision by any means.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I remember him playing some incredible finishing knocks 3 years ago.

Yeah a side that has beaten Australia and South Africa (away) in recent times and is ranked number 2 has some major problems

Last edited:

Daemon

Yeah I remember him playing some incredible finishing knocks 3 years ago.

Yeah a side that has beaten Australia and South Africa (away) in recent times and is ranked number 2 has some major problems
Did I say we have some major problems? You're putting words in my mouth.

3 years ago he averaged 56 in the WC striking at 110.

I think he was rightly dropped at that time because he had a few poor series plus we had batsmen waiting who looked like they had potential. For 3 years none of them could get us that 35 @ 95 that Raina was getting us for 10 years, so we've gone back to him. Not the end of the world.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's both funny and infuriating now when Dhoni does pressers which suggest his place in the ODI side is guaranteed. "Maybe I will move up the order" smh

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Did I say we have some major problems? You're putting words in my mouth.

3 years ago he averaged 56 in the WC striking at 110.

I think he was rightly dropped at that time because he had a few poor series plus we had batsmen waiting who looked like they had potential. For 3 years none of them could get us that 35 @ 95 that Raina was getting us for 10 years, so we've gone back to him. Not the end of the world.
Did I say it's the end of the world? Stop putting words in my mouth.

Kedhar Jadhav was getting them at 100+ SR

I found it odd that India would go back to a discarded player a year before the World Cup without any major hiccups or disasters. I also thought that India had a large enough talent pool and enough people in the queue to not have to go back to a discarded player from the past, hence expressed my surprise at the call up.

Never saw any of the fans here clamoring for Raina during these last 3 years so just a little surprised by this reaction

Last edited:

Daemon

Kedhar Jadhav was getting them at 100+ SR

Never saw any of the fans here clamoring for Raina during these last 3 years so just a little surprised by this reaction
Might want to do a search on that, I'm sure I have suggested Raina as have at least a couple of others. I believe in the Nidahas Trophy when he was recalled some were quite pleased, but then found it weird that he batted at 3 instead of playing the finishing role.

Good point regarding Jadhav. I thought he was doing pretty well at 6/7 until he was pushed up the order. His troll off spin is more effective than Raina's as well.

I found it odd that India would go back to a discarded player a year before the World Cup without any major hiccups or disasters. I also thought that India had a large enough talent pool and enough people in the queue to not have to go back to a discarded player from the past, hence expressed my surprise at the call up.
Yeah absolutely fair enough to be surprised that they went this route. My point was that it isn't a bad selection. Maybe not the right one, but not something I would go WTF to.

Daemon

Some Raina support I found while browsing the Nidahas Trophy thread*.

Dhoni of course. This would be my starting XI:

Rohit Sharma
Shikhar Dhawan
Virat Kohli
KL Rahul
Dinesh Karthik
Suresh Raina
Hardik Pandya
Bhuvaneshvar Kumar
Kuldeep Yadav
Jasprit Bumrah
Yuzvendra Chahal

This will solve the lower order power hitting problem to a large extent. To accommodate Rahul, I would even flirt with the idea of playing Rohit at 4
Dhoni needs to gtfo the T20 lineup.

I'd play the following in ODIs assuming Dhoni has to be picked

Dhawan
Rohit
Kohli
Dhoni
Kartik
Raina
Pandya

Great top order, ok middle order and decent finishing.
I just realised my last three infractions/warnings have all come from Harsh

wtf is this RANDI on RANDI violence.
Raina was doing great for a long time. He definitely should be in the mix.

Pandey's a #4 batsman who isn't very good in the slog overs unless he's well set. He plays there or he doesn't play at all imo.
I have long held the view that a No 6 tonker's value usually goes underrated. When Raina comes up for ATG ODI XI positions, he gets laughed at. But, he was so good in hitting from ball one and getting a 25 ball 40 down the order which not many can do.
What I find funny about the whole Raina saga is that his main utility was always his ability do well at a role others have tended to struggle to excel in, and yet when he was finally recalled to India's limited overs setup they batted him at three. India have lots of top order options, there's no need to make Raina into one.
Agree with this. Add to that Raina's composure and his experience of leading India out of tricky spot many times in crunch games, and he becomes more valuable than some of the more technically adept alternatives. With downfall of Dhoni and Yuvraj, we absolutely need to invest in Raina.
*bookmarked and added the next edition to google calendars. have set a countdown timer as well.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I would like to see if Pant is upto it at international level.

I guess 3 wicket keepers is excessing for a side not representing Sri Lanka (or 4 if Rahul is given a chance) but I guess Pant needs to transform his domestic list A numbers to more like his FC and T20 numbers.

Still a shame, though. He was absolute dynamite in the IPL, and great to watch.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I would like to see if Pant is upto it at international level.

I guess 3 wicket keepers is excessing for a side not representing Sri Lanka (or 4 if Rahul is given a chance) but I guess Pant needs to transform his domestic list A numbers to more like his FC and T20 numbers.

Still a shame, though. He was absolute dynamite in the IPL, and great to watch.
The main issue in taking a lot of wicket-keepers is that it robs part time bowling options. Kohli and Dhawan who are certainties do not bowl. So, we need at least 2 guys apart from Hardik who can bowl a bit without weakening the batting.

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
The main issue in taking a lot of wicket-keepers is that it robs part time bowling options. Kohli and Dhawan who are certainties do not bowl. So, we need at least 2 guys apart from Hardik who can bowl a bit without weakening the batting.
Oh Kohli was fearsome as a bowler in the last WT20 :-O

But yes, Raina, Yuvraj, Tendulkar all got through useful overs in the past.

But how important are all these options now with H Pandya playing?

Also, has K Pandya made the squad, and if not - why not?

Last edited:

Borges

International Regular
K Pandya is being watched: he is currently with the India A squad for the tri-series in England.