• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Cricket Dhaba

Best thread name

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sourav Ganguly speaks at Kolkata Airport: "There was some confusion on Shastri's appointment as next Team India Coach. No decision has been taken yet. Nothing has been finalised."

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
So now its confirmed. Not very sure of these "consultant" roles. From memory, and from my own experience (:p) consultants are hardly ever accountable. Would have been much happier if Zak was named bowling coach. Can understand Dravid being pulled in as a consultant before major away tours, given he is anyways the India A and India U19 coach and is thus, involved in the national set up. Hopefully Zak takes it up as a full time gig with the team as our bowling coach.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
^ Guy has made numerous applications now - rejected every time.

But tbf I think this is the best decision. Not sure why Shastri was removed in the first place. Don't think he is a great coach but India don't really need a great coach. Guys like Moody/Kumble would not fit in. They need someone who says what you want him to say and doesn't ruffle feathers, media savvy, talks about positive intent and aggression and keeps Kohli happy. Shastri fits that role to the T.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You guys under rate the stuff Shastri has actually done. IIRC, he was behind Ashwin's comeback as a proper good ODI spinner in the WC 2015. He has backed Jadeja all through his test career to where he is now. Sure, he does not fit in with our pre-conceived notion of what a good coach who can help players technically should be like, but that does not mean he may not have been one. None of us really know what Kumble contributed to these guys' either.

Personally, I would have preferred Moody or Simmons given their pedigree but lets not pretend that all Shastri does is provide nods of approval to anything and everything Virat says.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Shastri is fine, I know his way of talking and thinking is a bit of a laughing stock, but he is a genuinely positive person and is a fighter to the core. No one goes from #11 in the batting position to being the opener without reason. He is also on good terms with Kohli and most of the team and can handle the media.

If Kumble had stayed on, I would have been happy with that too but the atmosphere in the dressing room is very important for success of a team.

Appointment of Zaheer and Dravid is also admirable in theory although we will have to wait and see as to what exactly their roles are.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pretty sure Dravid's gonna stay as far away from the side as possible. Maybe take emails once a week :happy: