Page 3 of 76 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Like Tree508Likes

Thread: Indian Cricket Tea Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by Pratters View Post
    You would be kidding yourself if you think Indian coaching standards are as good as those in Australia or England Arjun. We don't even have proper practice pitches at lower levels ffs, forget about developing our coaches. The ones who we do have are exceptions to the rule.
    That's just a stereotype, that only foreigners can coach the Indian team well- the only good coach they've had was Kirsten, who had great results- and that was largely because he was a young coach. Even before him, the cricket managers, Borde and Rajput, had good results to show. Foreign coaches haven't helped India as much as they should have- not only are the weaker areas still weak (or getting weaker), like genuine pace bowling, batting against high-quality pace and all-rounders, but even India's main strength- spin bowling- has been blunted, to the point where they needed flat pitches at home to avoid getting rolled over by visiting spinners.

The likes of Prasad and Sandeep Patil have coaching experience for associate nations, and surely those conditions would be better than, say, those available at Himachal academy. Some have completed courses and are certified. Ultimately, it's a matter of understanding the team, being up to speed with the game and being smart with strategy- and I'm not sure any foreign coach is exceptionally better with any of this- least of all yesterday's on-and-off hero Duncan Fletcher. I'd be surprised if any foreign coach was in tune with India's domestic season activity- except for Chappell, who genuinely took interest in it, and tried hard to make India a world-beating side using his own methods- only to end up fighting a cold war with the selectors and officials.
    Karthik has batted well against good attacks this season. He seems to have improved tremendously as a batsman. Was a key member of the Tamil Nadu ranji side as a batsman, a side which had such strong batsmen as Vijay, Baba Aparajith among others. I doubt they will give the boot to Saha for at least 1 series.
    I'm not entirely convinced about most wicketkeepers playing for India or close enough- Dhoni still seems the best, despite his failings. Both Karthik and Ojha have had prolific batting records over two seasons, but keeping to Amit Mishra deliveries that turn awkwardly should decide who stands behind the stumps.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

Let's add another track here. The T20 track- where the Indians have fumbled, repeatedly. They haven't won a World T20 title since 2007, and often lose the lone T20I encounter in every tour. Moreover, they actually play very little T20I cricket outside the main event- only eight for the most capped Indian, vs 16 for any other! I'm not convinced about the selection for most T20I games- most of them are not cut out for the format- like Rahane, Rayudu, Jadeja, Ishant- maybe Bhuvneshwar has had a good run the last two years, but still not convincing.

But with only 8 T20Is a year, is there really much scope to develop their T20I stocks? I'd expect non-Test, non-ODI prospects like Kedar Jadhav, Mayank Agarwal, Surya Yadav, Sandeep Sharma and Praveen Tambe to figure in the first XI, based on their records. But picking these five blokes for just one 20-over game in a whole tour may be a tough ask. Which means they can make a squad only for the World T20.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Dude we just made the last T20 WC finals..

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    The IPL has had a brain drain effect as far as coaching gigs go. The prominent names much prefer to coach an IPL team for 2 months a year than stay away from family for 8-10 months. I'm not saying I blame Dravid, Ganguly, Waugh, Fleming etc; any one of us would make the same decision. One would either have to be an IPL/county 'reject' or accept the stresses and travelling associated with a national team to take the job at this point.

That said, I don't get the concept of team mentors. Coaches coach. The coach, captain and number crunchers pick players in the auction every 3 years. Steve Waugh was recently asked in an interview if he'd consider coaching the Indian team or an IPL team. He replied that he had family commitments at this stage, and that he'd rather mentor an IPL team if offered. What's the job description for a mentor?

Its a fancy gig that adds little to no value to get a top star signed up for your side and get some eyeballs, fans, headlines etc. on your team...
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    I also think that Indian cricket would be better served with Ganguly in an administrative role than as coach. It's time we had a change from all the businessmen and accountants at the BCCI. He's not the sort to play a token role at the BCCI, and his virtual monopoly in the East zone is a huge bonus from a political pov. Dalmiya can't keep up much longer, and there no other prominent former Indian players in administrative roles from the zone.

I thought Kumble would be the guy to do that and then I saw him become an Ambani stooge like so many others and lost that hope..

Quote Originally Posted by longranger View Post
    Pretty sure it was. C'mon, if you see both of them, who looks more devious? Pretty obvious..

Yep.. It was Vijay who did the nasty and DK was, by all accounts, the victim .. But now DK was engaged to Dipika Pallikal so really still think he won

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Arjun India doesn't play T20 internationals much as odis get more ads for 7 hours.

Do we really need to be clamouring for more T20 though. We already have IPL CLT20 and CK Nayudu Trophy. Indian internationals play far too much t20 man.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Arjun India doesn't play T20 internationals much as odis get more ads for 7 hours.

Do we really need to be clamouring for more T20 though. We already have IPL CLT20 and CK Nayudu Trophy. Indian internationals play far too much t20 man.
    You mean the SMAT, not CK Nayudu.

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
    That's just a stereotype, that only foreigners can coach the Indian team well- the only good coach they've had was Kirsten, who had great results- and that was largely because he was a young coach. Even before him, the cricket managers, Borde and Rajput, had good results to show. Foreign coaches haven't helped India as much as they should have- not only are the weaker areas still weak (or getting weaker), like genuine pace bowling, batting against high-quality pace and all-rounders, but even India's main strength- spin bowling- has been blunted, to the point where they needed flat pitches at home to avoid getting rolled over by visiting spinners.
    All of this is flat out wrong. And you chose to ignore John Wright too.
    indiaholic likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Wow baby, that gave me an orgasmic pleasure!
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaagarkarajaaja View Post
    All Prasie to Ajit Bhalchandra Agarkar, the pride of Mumbai, the terminator at Adelaide.
    Quote Originally Posted by VoL View Post
    I've joined this forum, just so that i can agree with OverratedSanity...

Need a hitter at the death ,Dhoni needs to replace Rahane at #4 who should be dropped from the shorter formats.Jadeja is just another Md Kaif nowadays,in the team just for his fielding.

Who are best hitters in India? Each International team has one or two...

Why is LR Shukla hardly getting a game in the IPL? I honestly think he can do a job in LOI cricket for us.. Well, at least better than Binny in my book..

Shukla is injured at out of the IPL.

Oh.. He was with SRH?

I guess we can use the IPL to start identifying potential new entrants to the national team with the World T20 coming up in the next 12 months.

As per the FTP schedule, we'll have a Sri Lanka tour in August and will host South Africa in October. There's a Pakistan series pencilled in for December but who knows if that will happen. It's followed by ODI series vs Australia and Sri Lanka, and finally the Asia Cup before the World T20.

Page 3 of 76 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread Information