• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Cricket Dhaba

Best thread name

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I just wish we could get Kirsten back
I liked Kirsten, but I can't deny that his quitting us because he wanted to spend time with family but then immediately taking up the Saffer gig didn't taint my appreciation for him to some degree. I mean, it doesn't change what he already accomplished for us, but it does make me want to give him the angry wife silent treatment.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I liked Kirsten, but I can't deny that his quitting us because he wanted to spend time with family but then immediately taking up the Saffer gig didn't taint my appreciation for him to some degree. I mean, it doesn't change what he already accomplished for us, but it does make me want to give him the angry wife silent treatment.
He can spend more time with his family if he's in SA?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
He can spend more time with his family if he's in SA?
It's not all that much more, is it? Overseas tours would be the same as before and he'd be travelling all over the country during the home season which doesn't make things much better for family time if he's got kids in school. It's like a 5-10% improvement IMO for when matches are played at his hometown or during the kids summer if they're willing to lug around with a cricket team instead of chilling on a beach or skiing somewhere else.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
He might have felt some actual commitment and responsibility for his country's cricket team though?
I think it's only fair that we insert a clause in our coaches contracts that they can't run off to coach a different international team for a couple of years after they've coached ours, especially if we're slated to play that other team soon after they switch.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think it's only fair that we insert a clause in our coaches contracts that they can't run off to coach a different international team for a couple of years after they've coached ours, especially if we're slated to play that other team soon after they switch.

I do get what you are saying but in this instance, and with John Wright, I do feel these guys took up coaching their national sides only because a) it was their country's team and b) they were paid a LOT after seeing their success with India.

You are basically suggesting a BCCI version of the WWE No Compete Clause. Given how close we are taking cricket to wrestling, I wont be surprised if the BCCI someday did that.

If it was applied across all member boards though, I think it will be a very good thing. Wasn't there the case of the SL coach going to work for England knowing they will be playing each other soon? Or am I just imagining things?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I do get what you are saying but in this instance, and with John Wright, I do feel these guys took up coaching their national sides only because a) it was their country's team and b) they were paid a LOT after seeing their success with India.

You are basically suggesting a BCCI version of the WWE No Compete Clause. Given how close we are taking cricket to wrestling, I wont be surprised if the BCCI someday did that.

If it was applied across all member boards though, I think it will be a very good thing. Wasn't there the case of the SL coach going to work for England knowing they will be playing each other soon? Or am I just imagining things?
Yeah, Mahela Jayawardene, IIRC, although he wasn't the SL coach prior. He was just far too knowledgeable about the SL team, due to reasons of recency, for them to be comfortable with him fraternizing with the enemy. Not exactly the same situation, but close enough in principle.

I don't see a problem with a no-compete clause here, tbh. Plenty of legitimate industries have it for good reasons. I am opposed to no-compete clauses when it is employed merely to hold on to market share, but not when it involves possible transfer of trade secrets. Yes, dodgy employers are perfectly capable of painting every situation as #2, but that's no reason to throw the baby away with the bath water.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Agree with all of that but what I meant to say was it can't just be one or two members implementing this. It would be a lot better if this was an ICC level thing.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Don't like this thinking at all. When Kirsten worked out his deal with SA for coaching them, he put forward clauses for number of days he would stay at home etc to suit himself. He did the job he was contracted to do well, so much so that the senior players kept requesting him to continue. We should take it at face value that he did want to spend more time with his family.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
A no compete clause should exist for specified number of years for coaches and also for players who have retired. Makes logical sense.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
".... Right now, India are among the top two teams in world cricket in all formats."

".... We are not No. 1 in Test cricket today only because we haven't played the format for last six months."

Jeez man.

Apparently Ganguly walked out of the room before his interview. Unprofessional and childish behaviour really.

Daemon

".... Right now, India are among the top two teams in world cricket in all formats."

".... We are not No. 1 in Test cricket today only because we haven't played the format for last six months."

Jeez man.

Apparently Ganguly walked out of the room before his interview. Unprofessional and childish behaviour really.
Just watched an interview where Ganguly said he had already told the BCCI that he had to leave at 5pm (shortly before Shastri was interviewed) because of a CAB meeting where he was the chairperson.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
We are talking his word Vs Shastri's right now aren't we? Remember, this is the same guy who challenged Greg Chappell to call him :p

OverratedSanity

"I have an advice for him also, when the coach of India is selected and it's one of the most important jobs in cricket, he should be in front of the committee giving his presentation and not sit in Bangkok on holiday and make a presentation on camera"
Dada not holding back.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Oooooooh. Scathing. This is like watching the It's Always Sunny gang argue evolution. I was on Dennis Shastri's side tbh, but Macguly has now made a convincing rebuttal.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Being present in the flesh in this day and age is less important tbf. Bigger problem is with his choice of holiday destination imo, esp in this weather. Clear lack of judgment #TeamDada

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Ravi Shastri has resigned from an ICC committe now. I don't support either Shastri or Ganguly in this. Shastri became manager/coach and was with the team and did well according to Kohli. He felt for the job and so felt aggrieved. Ganguly didn't help matters by giving public comments either. There are two sides of each story. End of Shastri in cricket administration for the near future can only mean one thing: more commentary from Mr. Cliche.

Last edited: