• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Cricket Dhaba

Best thread name

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chrish

International Debutant
Ashwin doesn’t understand jokes. I remember Hershalle Gibbs tweeted something about Ashwin which was supposed to be a light-hearted comment. In reply Ashwin went on on how he was a match-fixer and insulted him further. Gibbs just responded saying how he can’t even take jokes.

It was pretty cringeworthy.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Ashwin doesn’t understand jokes. I remember Hershalle Gibbs tweeted something about Ashwin which was supposed to be a light-hearted comment. In reply Ashwin went on on how he was a match-fixer and insulted him further. Gibbs just responded saying how he can’t even take jokes.

It was pretty cringeworthy.

Yeah there is a thing called cultural difference.

Chrish

International Debutant
I mean he is a senior player and understands/ speaks English flawlessly.. He should know better. And anyone with a half-brain cell could tell Gibbs was clearly joking.

Pretty poor from him..

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
I mean he is a senior player and understands/ speaks English flawlessly.. He should know better. And anyone with a half-brain cell could tell Gibbs was clearly joking.

Pretty poor from him..

Pretty poor from him..
Knowledge of a particular language doesn't automatically make one knowledgeable about cultural nuances wherever it is spoken.

Chrish

International Debutant
Knowledge of a particular language doesn't automatically make one knowledgeable about cultural nuances wherever it is spoken.
As I said. I don't think it can be attributed to cultural difference as it seemed pretty clear that the other party didn't mean anything malicious. To me it comes downs to Ashwin just being a dick rather than it being a result of any misunderstanding.

But let's agree to disagree.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year

Pretty poor from him..
Yeah, like SS said, its cultural difference. Think Ashwin took it as defamation of his job and wasn't willing to accept it in kind.

Just out of interest, if you were Ashwin, what would have been your response to the jibe/joke from Gibbs?

Chrish

International Debutant
Yeah, like SS said, its cultural difference. Think Ashwin took it as defamation of his job and wasn't willing to accept it in kind.

Just out of interest, if you were Ashwin, what would have been your response to the jibe/joke from Gibbs?
No idea mate on what would I say. Better to keep quiet or laugh it off if you can't come up with something clever.

@cnerd123 you don't have to like or be friends anyone in order to maintain common courtesy and respect on social media, especially when you are a public figure and a potential role-model for many. May be it's just me.

cnerd123

likes this
Calling out someone on being unfit/unathletic on a post they've clearly only made to keep their sponsor happy is a bit of a dick move tho. Gibbs is already pushing the limits of common courtesy and respect by doing that, especially if he's not friends with Ashwin in that way.

Chrish

International Debutant
Calling out someone on being unfit/unathletic on a post they've clearly only made to keep their sponsor happy is a bit of a dick move tho. Gibbs is already pushing the limits of common courtesy and respect by doing that, especially if he's not friends with Ashwin in that way.
I see your point but Ashwin could have come up with something cleaver in response or ignored it altogether. I doubt it Nike would take away his sponsorship for not responding to such posts :) In fact the way he responded made him look like a complete bitch.

cnerd123

likes this
IDK I think it's noble to remind people that Gibbs once accepted money to fix a game. The Indian public has a short memory of these incidents. We should all remember why Azhar and Ajay Jadeja served bans from the games next time we see them at a political rally/doing commentary on a match.

Also remember that England's greatest test win of all time happened right after a couple of the Aussie players bet on themselves losing

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I see your point but Ashwin could have come up with something cleaver in response or ignored it altogether. I doubt it Nike would take away his sponsorship for not responding to such posts :) In fact the way he responded made him look like a complete bitch.
Yeah agreed. Both came out of it looking like dicks.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I dont think any of the things he has done makes him look like a dick coz none of it is really bad, per se and most of it is reasonably justified. Just shows he is still not mature enough to be considered for national captaincy, perhaps. Mean that level of immaturity instead of being a complete dick which I feel many many more in cricket are.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I dont think any of the things he has done makes him look like a dick coz none of it is really bad, per se and most of it is reasonably justified. Just shows he is still not mature enough to be considered for national captaincy, perhaps. Mean that level of immaturity instead of being a complete dick which I feel many many more in cricket are.
yes perhaps immature/sensitive is a better word

it read like a tbb/red reply to a lol cheating aussies joke. yes the jokes are terrible but their over the top serious replies are pretty cringe too.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
IDK I think it's noble to remind people that Gibbs once accepted money to fix a game. The Indian public has a short memory of these incidents. We should all remember why Azhar and Ajay Jadeja served bans from the games next time we see them at a political rally/doing commentary on a match.

Also remember that England's greatest test win of all time happened right after a couple of the Aussie players bet on themselves losing
Woah, when was this? How did I miss this:blink:

cnerd123

likes this
Woah, when was this? How did I miss this:blink:
This game:

Article about it:

Plenty of other pieces of writing surrounding this

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
This game:

Article about it:

Plenty of other pieces of writing surrounding this
WTH, this doesn't get mentioned at all, and seems like there wasn't much fuss made about it. Was there any action taken against the players??