• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Cricket Dhaba

Best thread name

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Yeah, Sidhu was very clearly our best opener till Sehwag came. Slightly feeling that he is under-rated here. He was a poor man's Sehwag and Dravid, being too defensive or too aggressive in his innings. Not sure if I remember correctly but I think he got dropped after the 200 for batting too slow.

His batting against Warne was so much fun to watch though.
Maybe generally, but my post wasn't meant to denigrate him (apart from his commentary), but more a question of how did Azhar average less than Siddhu in the 90s?

Siddhu was an alright player - flat track/home track bully maybe, but at least he was that - was good enough/memorable enough until Sehwag came along. I don't even remember who used to open with Siddhu....

srbhkshk

International Captain
In a sense a lot of our players from 80s and 90s are underrated, Vengsarkar for instance is never talked about much but he was brilliant and actually was #1(ICC rankings) in the world for a brief time, I guess all of these guys sort of got buried in footnotes once the likes of Sachin , Dravid , Sehwag etc. arrived.

Flem274*

123/5
my 10 second theory is flatter decks -> bowlers bang it in harder -> ganguly was never a huge fan of bounce and did tend to go fending wide.

still an overall very valuable cricketer. good batsman, useful 5th bowler (i thought he could have done more with his bowling). he'd add a lot to the current side.

srbhkshk

International Captain
I was going through statsguru to see any decent Indian all rounders we don't talk about and discovered two things.

1. We have had a guy with the name Naoomal Jeeomal play tests for us.

2. Hemu Adhikari, very decent stats, anyone know much about him? [ Edit - Scratch that, the bowling average is just over 3 wickets]

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The lack of self awareness from some of the former australian players is just embarassing. From Waugh, who is the last person to lecture anyone on the spirit of cricket, sanctimoniously saying he was 'deeply troubled' when Sandpapergate happened, to Michael 'broken ****ing arm' Clarke coming on TV pretending to almost cry when watching footage of bancroft tampering the ball to now Ponting, the guy who claimed several clearly dropped catches , bullied aleem dar endlessly when he didnt like his decision, who told Srinath to **** off when the poor blokecame over to see if he was ok after being hit in the face by a bouncer, and just generally being a massive prick on the field... they're all just clueless morons. Sickening to watch. hope Ashwin told him to stuff it.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
There was some highlights video I watched a few years back in a India -Australia match in mid 80s (india down under or something like that). The batsman was Srikanth I think. He square drove the ball straight to a 20 year old Steve Waugh at point who dropped it, picked it up and claimed the catch. In the mean time, TOTAB, his captain, was arguing with the umpire on why that should been given out :laugh:

OverratedSanity

Yes, Ive mentioned it many times. Waugh had another one like that where he successfully got Lara out in the 95 series in which he literally picked it up off the ground after dropping it (which is orders of magnitudes worse than simply claiming one that bounced inches in front of you, and requires a special kind of shamelessness to attempt). Rashid Latif was rightly raked over the coals for it and yet these two Waugh incidents are barely ever talked about. The guy has done a top class job in somehow maintaining a statesman-like image in the eyes of most casual fans. And yet he had the gall to speak up and say he was distressed by what Smith and co did during Sandpapergate. **** off you prick not everyone buys your tired act.

This is a pretty great piece which puts it well

vcs

He picked up the ball with elite honesty and without crossing the line, though

OverratedSanity

Nothing gets me harder than an OS rant about cheating Australians
Cheating is fine, its just a silly sport at the end of the day so who cares. The sanctimony is so laughable though. It'd be like burgey lecturing someone on inappropriate posts or watson telling someone off for being racially insensitive or sledger attempting to point out why someone else's posting is bad or hb telling another poster how annoying his posts are....

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Yes, Ive mentioned it many times. Waugh had another one like that where he successfully got Lara out in the 95 series in which he literally picked it up off the ground after dropping it (which is orders of magnitudes worse than simply claiming one that bounced inches in front of you, and requires a special kind of shamelessness to attempt). Rashid Latif was rightly raked over the coals for it and yet these two Waugh incidents are barely ever talked about. The guy has done a top class job in somehow maintaining a statesman-like image in the eyes of most casual fans. And yet he had the gall to speak up and say he was distressed by what Smith and co did during Sandpapergate. **** off you prick not everyone buys your tired act.

This is a pretty great piece which puts it well
He looks like a shifty-eyed rat to me, tbh. Notice all the deep breaths he takes in while talking? Classic sign of a pathological liar.

Last edited: