• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Women commentators at the IPL

Cric123

School Boy/Girl Captain
Was watching highlights of of the IPL on their site yesterday to catch McCullum's and Gayle's innings and noticed female commentators. Did a Google search and it seems the IPL is employing four female commentators. Not that I watch IPL but Indians are really ruining the game. Employing female commentators is probably a smokescreen for BCCI to divert attention from other irregularities e.g. corruption.

I am losing the love for this game. Indians are putting me off the game for good. Did you see the World Cup final. There were so many Indian commentators, and the cameras kept on panning on Indian faces in the crowd. I mean there weren't involved yet it seemed the match was only for the purpose of Indian audience.

Last edited:

brockley

International Captain
Lisa Stilekher has got a gig there former Australian women's captain and commentates on ABC radio.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Are they hot?

Isa Guha is, can't say I know the others.

Quite frankly I've enjoyed female commentary when I've heard it, mainly because it gets away from the boorish matey, laddish bollox that seems to pass for commentary in so many ways nowadays.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Could've sworn this thread was locked this morning. Started woefully and is getting worse.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Another troll thread from that cric fellow. Mods should lock all of them. Clouding cricket chat

Any ways, the real logic behind female side commentators (I wouldn't call them any thing else - they just ask players stupid questions or semi intelligent ones) is to make it a product which can appeal to every one. The females watching at home forced by their husbands to watch it can relate to the non knowledge of them and the men can get some eye candy. One of the many ***ist and dumb things in the IPL. To be fair, they are better than Sidhu tearing down your brain from the studio or Danny Morrison from the commentary box. That's like choosing between terrible food and a poisonous one though.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Shibani Dandekar :wub:
Amazing eye candy and one such personality is okay. Having lots of them, just because they are women or can ask dumb questions is dumb. Even among the men, why have the likes of Gaurav Kapur and that guy who is shouting with Sidhu in the studio all the time? Why are they better than an Aakash Chopra doing the broadcast? There is this attitude that you cannot have too much of the serious talk as it will bore the audiences. You need the masala to keep common audiences there. Even Masterchef India (which was amazing this season) had this logic for the finale. The 3 finalists performed dances and they voted the winner through a poll without a traditional cook out. You see it in many of the newer breed of bollywood films (Ajay Devgan comedies for instance). Have masala. Have loudness. It works. Sad part is, it does most of the time too.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Amazing eye candy and one such personality is okay. Having lots of them, just because they are women or can ask dumb questions is dumb. Even among the men, why have the likes of Gaurav Kapur and that guy who is shouting with Sidhu in the studio all the time? Why are they better than an Aakash Chopra doing the broadcast? There is this attitude that you cannot have too much of the serious talk as it will bore the audiences. You need the masala to keep common audiences there. Even Masterchef India (which was amazing this season) had this logic for the finale. The 3 finalists performed dances and they voted the winner through a poll without a traditional cook out. You see it in many of the newer breed of bollywood films (Ajay Devgan comedies for instance). Have masala. Have loudness. It works. Sad part is, it does most of the time too.
I don't really care about this, because many of our well known male commentators like Gavaskar, Sidhu, Bhogle, etc are complete fools too and add nothing of any real value to commentary or to the studio in the IPL that the supposedly "dumb" women don't. I'll take the eye candy thanks.

Riggins

International Captain
They can't be any worse than the buffoons on channel nine. Muting commentary but leaving match sounds can't come soon enough.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To be fair from what I've heard so far from the comms, as is typical of IPL the comms are still trash.

Shady Slim

International Coach
ah haha those wacky women at it again are they?

first we're giving them jobs and next thing they'll be allowed to vote!