• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

To End All Arguements

masterblaster

International Captain
Now, I will have my say.

After listening to the annoying rants of my fellow Indian Supporters and the Australian supporters about the issue of Sourav Ganguly, I just want to clear the air.

To Me, Ganguly is a fine example of a batsman, a fine captain, a fine batsman.

He may have his shortcomings but is one of the better ODI batsman the world has produced lately.

The Statistics:

Overall: 9135 runs at 42.68 with 22 centuries and 53 half centuries

vs Australia: 638 at 23.62 with 1 century and four half centuries

vs Bangladesh: 256 at 85.33 with 1 century four half centuries

vs England: 605 at 40.33 with 1 century and three half centuries

vs Kenya: 498 at 71.14 with 3 centuries and one half century

vs Namibia: 112 runs at No Average with 1 century

vs Netherlands: 8 runs at 8

vs New Zealand: 1024 runs at 37.92 with 3 centuries and 6 half centuries

vs Pakistan: 1255 runs at 41.83 with 2 centuries and 9 half centuries

vs South Africa: 1240 runs at 53.91 with 3 centuries and 8 half centuries

vs Sri Lanka: 1193 runs at 39.76 with 4 centuries and five half centuries

vs West Indies: 961 runs at 45.76 with 9 half centuries

vs Zimbabwe: 1345 runs at 44.83 with 3 centuries and 7 half centuries.

The Verdict:

Several Australian and dare I say English supporters views that Ganguly only performs against Minnow nations is utter Grade A Bull Plop. An Average against South Africa of 53 and an Average in South Africa against them of over 50 against the likes of Pollock, Donald, Nel and Kallis shows me that this Ganguly guy can play.

His performances against the likes of Shoaib Akhtar, Waqar Younis and Wasim Akram have been outstanding. His performances against England and New Zealand have been brilliant as well.

He plays well against Zimbabwe, but all you would CRUCIFY him if he had a poor record against the 'little teams'. The job of scoring against the minnows needs to be done, and he does the job well. His only 'glitch' on his resume is his performance against Australia.

Every other team and exam as a batsman he has played against he has not only passed, he has gotten high distinctions.

To you supporters, Get Your Facts Straight before slamming hardworking and talented International Players.

The idea that Sourav Ganguly is a poor ODI batsman is laughable and pure, Grade A bull plop.

masterblaster

International Captain
Ganguly By Venue:

in Australia 527 runs at 37.64
in Bangladesh 659 runs at 54.91
in Canada 430 runs at 43.00
in England 574 runs at 38.26
in India 2468 runs at 47.46
in Kenya 556 runs at 79.42
in New Zealand 266 runs at 22.16
in Pakistan 115 runs at 38.33
in South Africa 1048 runs at 49.90
in Sri Lanka 1021 runs at 40.84
in Singapore 107 runs at 26.75
in U.A.E. 725 runs at 29.00
in West Indies 258 runs at 51.60
in Zimbabwe 381 runs at 42.33

Ganguly's a mug on bouncy pitches??

Yeah Right!!!!!

A fine record in Australia, an outstanding record in South Africa and good records in England indicates Ganguly's worth as a ODI player on bouncy pitches.

In fact, Ganguly's poor average against Australia is due to his failures in India rather than in Australia. In Australia Ganguly is averaging close to 40 in ODI's.

Once again, common misconceptions have 'blinded' the 'cricketing critic'.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It was the stupidest most annoying discussion (if it deserves the dignity to be called that) I've read on these boards.

Hopefully those who feel the need to clog the VB Series thread with these mindless posts can gather here and argue to no end.

---

Oh and kudos on this post masterblaster, I just hope if more arguing continues regarding this topic, it stays here.

username

Cricket Spectator
Wasn't the argument Ponting Vs Ganguly, and then ODI Ponting Vs Ganguly? Seriously, you may get pats all around from the Indian supporters for your post, but what air is it you're clearing by featuring only half the debate? But I'll persevere, I don't care to argue that Ganguly is a poor batsmen or poor ODI batsmen, what I will argue if it's still going is that Ganguly fears the Australians and that Ponting is the better player.

And you're right, Ganguly is a good captain, that is as long as he isn't captaining against Australia.

FRAZ

International Captain
If Ganguly does nt do such things . then how can India win??????He is hmmm good for India ...

username

Cricket Spectator
orangepitch said:
Actually, ganguly has had to bat With Tendulkar, not after ,for a large part of his career........ unlike ponting, who hasnt opened ....

And i think Ganguly's average against Aus in aus being infinitely better than pontings average against ind in ind is a very good indicator of adaptability.....

BTW, username, you remind me very much of a certain Shawn badyk who used to frequent these forums before vanishing as his posts were shown for what they were....utter nonsense...
Batting with Tendulkar or coming in after Gilly, take your pick, neither are bad options. You keep coming with the insults yet you refute not 1 point, and have made only half a valid point of your own. There were 2 good reasons posted as to why Ganguly's avg is flattering, and you've been clutching at straws and resorting to insults to try and compensate. And please bring to my attention this utter nonsense, quote it, or better yet, just quit before you get further behind.

V Reddy

International Debutant
BlackCap_Fan said:
Ganguly has had alot of trouble on kiwi pitches.Just see his average.
Take the last series of 7 innings for about 20 runs out and then you will find that he averages more than 40. All the batsman struggled in that series:)

Deja moo

International Captain
Is it his facial structure or anything similar that you australians cant accept that ganguly is a great batsman( came in wisden top 10 odi batsmen of all time)?

?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
two good batsmen (in odis atleast) - Ganguly and Ponting

Every one has a bad record some where or the other..

It will be interesting how much people can debate on this thread when there isnt much to talk about :S

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
What I get annoyed with is when people are being too patriotic.

Yes, you have the entitlement to think your team is good and support it, but, not just Indian supporters, by no means rant on about your team and thinking their the best thing since sliced bread.

It does get annoying when some people think their team is better than everybody else and constantly defends any critism of their players and doesn't say good things about most other player.

I'm an Aussie, and I think Ganguly is a fine batsman, most agree. What ****s me with it is his ****y persona and constant off putting techniques which he uses all the time.

IMO, Ponting is a better player, captain and sportsman though.

masterblaster

International Captain
Nah, im not one of those 'Amits' type of people.

Ill be the first one to admit when my country does wrong.

But the thing is, Ganguly gets too much unfair criticism.

And yeah, for many people its just a personal thing against him.

Don Ricardo

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Ganguly simply cant play short pitched bowling thats aimed at his thoat- if u watched the vb series u would see that he has been out to meek fends every innings in the last couple of weeks.

People say he is an excellent odi batsman and his average does suport it- one thing to consider, however, is that for most of his career bouncers have not been allowed in odis and technically deficient batsmen like himself have been able to prosper. Now that the short stuff is allowed he is not nearly as comfortable, and i would predict that in the future his record outside of the subcontinent is going to tailspin as a result. For evidence of this look how he is playing now- roughed up by blignaut et al (when a batsman begins to get out the same way a number of times there must be some serious danger signs about future prosperity)

bennyr

U19 12th Man
Ahh, the never ending Ganguly argument.

As Masterblaster has meticulously pointed out, Ganguly has an enviable ODI record - the guy is just a bloody good one day player.

He is also a great competitive and inspirational leader. And like many great competitive captains of the past, he pushes the rules and sometimes crosses the line. This isn't to be encouraged or admired, but having admired a string of Australian captains with similar qualities (Ian Chappell, Steve Waugh) I reckon he's great.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
username said:
The differences in averages between the players is negligible, as too the strike rates.

Ganguly much better than Ponting in ODI's? Check these stats bro.

Ganguly ODI avg vs Australia, 23.62
Ponting ODI avg vs India, 43.33

That stand out to anyone else?

And 34 matches against Zimbabwe and 10 against Kenya? Wtf?
26 26 1 910 129 92 80 36.40 1 5 2
26 26 3 1240 141* 127 105* 53.91 3 8 1

username - Take your Pick from Above performances against SA.

28 28 3 838 102 93 73 33.52 1 6 4
23 23 2 961 83 79 78 45.76 0 9 0

Or Take your pick from the above performance against WI

As for the Zimbabwe matches, I think If you remove Zimbabwe's matches from their tally then Ponting's overall avg will be much worse than Ganguly's.

PY

International Coach
Sanz said:
As for the Zimbabwe matches, I think If you remove Zimbabwe's matches from their tally then Ponting's overall avg will be much worse than Ganguly's.
Ponting without Zimbabwe games - 40.43.
Ganguly without - 42.33.

Not huge difference in either. Both are quite brilliant at what they do and how they do. IMO end of discussion.

I dislike Ganguly for 2 reasons:
1) Jealousy 8D
2) Attitude is really poor sometimes.

However, as a cricketer I don't have any emotions about him. He's a good captain for India and a good batsman too.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Good Job PY - So if you take out their performance against Zimbabwe, it's Ponting's avg which suffers more than Ganguly. Ponting's avg goes down by 1.31 as opposed to Ganguly's .35. So one can't really say that Ganguly's higher avg is because he has played more matches with Zim.

As for your reasons to hate him - I dont how and why you call him a jealous person ? Have you interacted with him ? As for the attitude, I can understand your feeling.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Wasn't a big fan of him before this series, but anyone who can annoy Aussies as much as this guy has gotta be doing something right!

8D

And PY isn't calling Saurav a jealous guy, he's just jealous of his talent I guess :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Obviously on both counts, Neil.:D
Personally I love to watch Ganguly bat properly because he's incredibly stylish and I love to see him hammering rubbish bowlers around simply because they find it so hard to take.:lol:
I also like his captaincy.
And I love to see him annoying his detractors by proving them wrong almost every time he scores runs.

PY

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
And PY isn't calling Saurav a jealous guy, he's just jealous of his talent I guess :)
Neil's spot on. I am jealous of his talents and his ability to annoy the crap out of Australians. :D