• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How can cricket be made faster?

Cric123

School Boy/Girl Captain
I know T20 cricket has gone a long way to solve the problem of the major complaint people would have with cricket, that it was too slow a game to hold appeal for non-cricket fans. I just looked on Wiki for T20 rules and they have it down as 1 hour 15 minutes for an innings to be cmpleted in. If this is true then its something like 16-17 overs an hour, which is a good deal faster than test cricket but I worked out it was stillover 4 minutes on average per over bowled. I think cricket has to somehow look at bringing the time down to around 3 and half minutes (for six legal deliveries). This would bring down the downtime to around 35 seconds between each delivery.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1. Get everyone to take speed before hand
2. Ban run ups longer than 5 paces
3. Fielders have to stay in positions as assigned before the game begins
4. Only bowl from one end of the ground
5. Allow the game to be non-stop - i.e. the bowler can start running in even if the batsman isn't ready

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Years ago over rates of 20-22 an hour in First Class cricket, but in those days field placings were rarely changed so unless you want to take those sort of tactical considerations out of the game I don't think it can be done, nor should it be attempted - I don't want see Test cricket become H100

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Talk to JBMAC. He is our member who has been around the longest. As you are aware 70 years ago they got through 20 overs an hour. I suspect there were a lot of bowlers with short run ups.

The only real answer I can think of myself is if you just bowled to one end of the pitch and then switched around in the next inning.

That would reduce the breaks between overs.

Cric123

School Boy/Girl Captain
Talk to JBMAC. He is our member who has been around the longest. As you are aware 70 years ago they got through 20 overs an hour. I suspect there were a lot of bowlers with short run ups.

The only real answer I can think of myself is if you just bowled to one end of the pitch and then switched around in the next inning.

Di you mean to say bowl to one end and then switch to another bowler from the other end the next delivery? I like the current model because it goves bolwer time to think what they are going to be bowling next while they are walking back to the the crease. HOwever, I think bowlers should walk back a bit faster back tot heir mark and there should be less intereference from the captain. The cosntant changes in field, captain coming to have a chat to the bolwer every other ball. I think Nasser Hussein started this trend in the relatively modern era. He liked slowing the innings down. Leave a lot of the tactics back in the dressing room. The captians always want to be on camera. Captains should realise what makes a good captain is not one who necessarilly needs to cosntantly interfere.Having to wait sometimes a minute for the next delivery can be really frustrating.

cnerd123

likes this
Years ago over rates of 20-22 an hour in First Class cricket, but in those days field placings were rarely changed so unless you want to take those sort of tactical considerations out of the game I don't think it can be done, nor should it be attempted - I don't want see Test cricket become H100

Why are you taking this thread seriously?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Di you mean to say bowl to one end and then switch to another bowler from the other end the next delivery? I like the current model because it goves bolwer time to think what they are going to be bowling next while they are walking back to the the crease. HOwever, I think bowlers should walk back a bit faster back tot heir mark and there should be less intereference from the captain. The cosntant changes in field, captain coming to have a chat to the bolwer every other ball. I think Nasser Hussein started this trend in the relatively modern era. He liked slowing the innings down. Leave a lot of the tactics back in the dressing room. The captians always want to be on camera. Captains should realise what makes a good captain is not one who necessarilly needs to cosntantly interfere.Having to wait sometimes a minute for the next delivery can be really frustrating.
No

6 balls from one end
Then another 6 balls from the same end from a different bowler.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Nah, just see how much time is wasted during the course of a typical days play you'll see:

- A sightscreen failure or two
- 12th man staying a little too long at an unscheduled break and we have to wait until he is off the field.
- DRS
- Run out replays and also replays for catches.
- Groundsman performing maintenance on the pitch (I understand the soil if slippery, but not the hammering down on the pitch).
- Some cameraman or crowd member distracting the batsmen.
- Replays as to whether the ball was hit for a 4 or 6
- Replays to determine whether the batsman's right foot touched the rope or not

Get out your Phone's stopwatch and watch a typical days play and see how much time is wasted on things that weren't wasted on in the past..

Feels like a getoffmylawn kind of post..

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
You could get through 25 overs an hour if...

they changed overs from 6 deliveries to 2. Genius :)
You could get through more balls in an hour if you switched to 8 ball overs, but that would be a disaster especially in junior cricket where each over has at least 3 wides.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
You could get through more balls in an hour if you switched to 8 ball overs, but that would be a disaster especially in junior cricket where each over has at least 3 wides.
Yeah some young kids would be shattered and quit the game. (Due to be wided and having long overs- umpires at that level need the right balance of fairness and compassion)

Cric123

School Boy/Girl Captain
Forget about 20 overs an hour, that's unrealistic (especially with the morons currently at ICC), but why not set 16 overs an hour in the test and ODI and 18 in the T20s with harsh penalties for teams failiing to bowl the overs in time. The fine could include the match fee for all players on the guilty side and also possible banning of captain for three matches. This I think will act as a deterent.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
CC in the pits between test series.

I can choose between this thread, Ponting (Warne) v Sangers (Murali) or swag pictures of Virat 'cant handle the pressure of a few dot balls' Kohli.

Victor Ian

International Coach
If you really want to increase the appeal of cricket to non cricket fans I suggest

1). Use a bigger ball. About 23cm diameter should be enough.
2). Use a larger pitch. The whole ground should suffice.
4). Remove Batsman getting out except for unfair play.
5). Let Batsman kick the ball. In the interest of fairness let the Bowler kick the ball too.
6). Increase the size of the wickets and attach a net to make it easy to see if the ball has entered the wickets.
7). Retain 11 players per side and the role of the wicket keeper.

Now you have a game that will appeal to all the non cricket fans. What we need now is a game to appeal to the cricket fans. Any suggestions?

cnerd123

likes this
You could get through 25 overs an hour if...

they changed overs from 6 deliveries to 2. Genius :)
give them all little go karts
Or Segways to get the top of their bowling marks.
If you really want to increase the appeal of cricket to non cricket fans I suggest

1). Use a bigger ball. About 23cm diameter should be enough.
2). Use a larger pitch. The whole ground should suffice.
4). Remove Batsman getting out except for unfair play.
5). Let Batsman kick the ball. In the interest of fairness let the Bowler kick the ball too.
6). Increase the size of the wickets and attach a net to make it easy to see if the ball has entered the wickets.
7). Retain 11 players per side and the role of the wicket keeper.

Now you have a game that will appeal to all the non cricket fans. What we need now is a game to appeal to the cricket fans. Any suggestions?
Now these posts are fitting of the thread imo.