Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: How can cricket be made faster?

Cricket Spectator

How can cricket be made faster?

I know T20 cricket has gone a long way to solve the problem of the major complaint people would have with cricket, that it was too slow a game to hold appeal for non-cricket fans. I just looked on Wiki for T20 rules and they have it down as 1 hour 15 minutes for an innings to be cmpleted in. If this is true then its something like 16-17 overs an hour, which is a good deal faster than test cricket but I worked out it was stillover 4 minutes on average per over bowled. I think cricket has to somehow look at bringing the time down to around 3 and half minutes (for six legal deliveries). This would bring down the downtime to around 35 seconds between each delivery.
    Last edited by Cric123; 11-04-2015 at 05:08 AM.

Hall of Fame Member HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    1. Get everyone to take speed before hand
    2. Ban run ups longer than 5 paces
    3. Fielders have to stay in positions as assigned before the game begins
    4. Only bowl from one end of the ground
    5. Allow the game to be non-stop - i.e. the bowler can start running in even if the batsman isn't ready
    zorax and SkyBlue like this.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Years ago over rates of 20-22 an hour in First Class cricket, but in those days field placings were rarely changed so unless you want to take those sort of tactical considerations out of the game I don't think it can be done, nor should it be attempted - I don't want see Test cricket become H100

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Talk to JBMAC. He is our member who has been around the longest. As you are aware 70 years ago they got through 20 overs an hour. I suspect there were a lot of bowlers with short run ups.

The only real answer I can think of myself is if you just bowled to one end of the pitch and then switched around in the next inning.

That would reduce the breaks between overs.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Talk to JBMAC. He is our member who has been around the longest. As you are aware 70 years ago they got through 20 overs an hour. I suspect there were a lot of bowlers with short run ups.

The only real answer I can think of myself is if you just bowled to one end of the pitch and then switched around in the next inning.

Di you mean to say bowl to one end and then switch to another bowler from the other end the next delivery? I like the current model because it goves bolwer time to think what they are going to be bowling next while they are walking back to the the crease. HOwever, I think bowlers should walk back a bit faster back tot heir mark and there should be less intereference from the captain. The cosntant changes in field, captain coming to have a chat to the bolwer every other ball. I think Nasser Hussein started this trend in the relatively modern era. He liked slowing the innings down. Leave a lot of the tactics back in the dressing room. The captians always want to be on camera. Captains should realise what makes a good captain is not one who necessarilly needs to cosntantly interfere.Having to wait sometimes a minute for the next delivery can be really frustrating.

International Vice-Captain zorax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Years ago over rates of 20-22 an hour in First Class cricket, but in those days field placings were rarely changed so unless you want to take those sort of tactical considerations out of the game I don't think it can be done, nor should it be attempted - I don't want see Test cricket become H100

Why are you taking this thread seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Cric123 View Post
    Di you mean to say bowl to one end and then switch to another bowler from the other end the next delivery? I like the current model because it goves bolwer time to think what they are going to be bowling next while they are walking back to the the crease. HOwever, I think bowlers should walk back a bit faster back tot heir mark and there should be less intereference from the captain. The cosntant changes in field, captain coming to have a chat to the bolwer every other ball. I think Nasser Hussein started this trend in the relatively modern era. He liked slowing the innings down. Leave a lot of the tactics back in the dressing room. The captians always want to be on camera. Captains should realise what makes a good captain is not one who necessarilly needs to cosntantly interfere.Having to wait sometimes a minute for the next delivery can be really frustrating.
    No

6 balls from one end
    Then another 6 balls from the same end from a different bowler.

Nah, just see how much time is wasted during the course of a typical days play you'll see:

- A sightscreen failure or two
    - 12th man staying a little too long at an unscheduled break and we have to wait until he is off the field.
    - DRS
    - Run out replays and also replays for catches.
    - Groundsman performing maintenance on the pitch (I understand the soil if slippery, but not the hammering down on the pitch).
    - Some cameraman or crowd member distracting the batsmen.
    - Replays as to whether the ball was hit for a 4 or 6
    - Replays to determine whether the batsman's right foot touched the rope or not

Get out your Phone's stopwatch and watch a typical days play and see how much time is wasted on things that weren't wasted on in the past..

Feels like a getoffmylawn kind of post..
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

U19 Captain
    You could get through 25 overs an hour if...

they changed overs from 6 deliveries to 2. Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Fuller Pilch View Post
    You could get through 25 overs an hour if...

they changed overs from 6 deliveries to 2. Genius
    You could get through more balls in an hour if you switched to 8 ball overs, but that would be a disaster especially in junior cricket where each over has at least 3 wides.

U19 Captain
    You could get through more balls in an hour if you switched to 8 ball overs, but that would be a disaster especially in junior cricket where each over has at least 3 wides.
    Yeah some young kids would be shattered and quit the game. (Due to be wided and having long overs- umpires at that level need the right balance of fairness and compassion)

Cricket Web Staff Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Sky+
    No one ever talks about 'the weak, silent type'. When's their moment?

Cricket Spectator
    Forget about 20 overs an hour, that's unrealistic (especially with the morons currently at ICC), but why not set 16 overs an hour in the test and ODI and 18 in the T20s with harsh penalties for teams failiing to bowl the overs in time. The fine could include the match fee for all players on the guilty side and also possible banning of captain for three matches. This I think will act as a deterent.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Delay all broadcasts until play is a few hours in and put it on 1.25 speed. Cricket saved.
    Direbirds FTW!

Creator of the Official Unofficial NZ Cricket World Cup Drinking Game

Round 2, 20th February 2015 - NZ vs. ENG

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    give them all little go karts
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information