• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How can cricket be made faster?

Howe_zat

Audio File
Or Segways to get the top of their bowling marks.
I've read this a few times and it always makes me giggle. The image of a Johnson or Anderson getting right into a batsman's face, turning around with a scowl on before hopping back on his segway and riding off

watson

Banned
8 ball overs?

Less mucking about between overs because there would be less overs. More favourable to bowlers with shorter run-ups like spinners.

Edit: ODIs would need to be made up of 37 overs and 4 balls, and T20s would become T15s; so scrap that idea.

Last edited:

karan316

State Vice-Captain
I know T20 cricket has gone a long way to solve the problem of the major complaint people would have with cricket, that it was too slow a game to hold appeal for non-cricket fans. I just looked on Wiki for T20 rules and they have it down as 1 hour 15 minutes for an innings to be cmpleted in. If this is true then its something like 16-17 overs an hour, which is a good deal faster than test cricket but I worked out it was stillover 4 minutes on average per over bowled. I think cricket has to somehow look at bringing the time down to around 3 and half minutes (for six legal deliveries). This would bring down the downtime to around 35 seconds between each delivery.
A Super Over Tournament will be great:ph34r:

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Just make it into non-stop cricket, if you hit the ball you have to run, if you're not back in your crease before the bowler bowls the next one too bad for you. It would make most matches about 5 overs and 60 runs each.

Valer

First Class Debutant
Penalty based systems (runs / wickets NOT fines) seem the most reasonable to me. Let the captains make their own choices

Obviously if captains still don't get through the overs you can just increase them if you still want / need faster play.

Cric123

School Boy/Girl Captain
I have noticed that in baseball they are taking measures to speed up the game. MLB will force batters to keep at least one foot inside the mound, to stop them from taking a walkabout after a pitch.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How weird is it when you go to he cricket, a wicket falls on the first over of the game and three blokes run on with drinks for the fielding side? ****ing ridiculous.

Anyway, I'd rather watch 85-90 overs per day with scores over 300 than watch 110 overs and sides scoring 3/210 or something.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Penalties on bowling side are all fair provided that there are stick rules put in place for the batting side as well including.

1) Timing out of batsman who take more than 2min to be ready to face their first ball.
2) Batsman has a responsibility to be ready to bat whenever the bowler is ready does not have to wait for him to change his bat, undertake gardening, discuss tactics etc
3) Batsman gets one time out per innings in which he can delay the game to recieve medical attention, change bat etc if he requires anything additional to this he has to retire
4) Grounds receive fines for any delay of game due to sight screen issues ie security guards getting in batsmans eye line.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Here's a legit one.

Sight screens are freaking huge now. If the sight screen is in the correct position, the only reason a batsman should pull away from a delivery is if someone walks directly in front of the sight screen. Pulling away because someone walks in the aisle next to it ****s me no end. It's prima donna behaviour

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Imagine a test match between team A and team B. Team A has 11 Shahid Afridis and team B has 11 Chris Martins. The Chris Martins should always be made to bat first (get rid of toss, that kills time).

1st innings: Afridi, if told to finish his overs quickly, can bowl 10 overs within 20 minutes I am sure. That is enough time for Chris Martin's team to get all out for 23.

2nd innings: Afridis come out against the bowling of Chris Martins and score somewhere between 150 and 400 (in 20 to 50 overs), depending on Martin's bowling form and the frequency of Afridi successfully edging properly to launch a very high parabola. This can take between 1.5 to 3.5 hours. Actually Afridi can declare after scoring 50 in 30 minutes too, if he wishes.

The match finishes 20 minutes after that. In that way, a test match can finish within 1-4 hours.

Also get rid of lunch break - that kills 2 birds in one stone 1. We don't lose 40 minutes for the break, 2. I am sure a starved Afridi can't just keep hitting sixes.

Edit: Just realised 11 Martins against 11 Saeed Ajmals will end sooner.

Last edited:

cpr

International Coach
Get rid of drinks breaks and give batsmen novelty helmets holding 2 drinks and a lot of silly straws