Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: fastest bowlers in new Zealand right now?

fastest bowlers in new Zealand right now?

Hey guys, first post here. A little about me in brief....I am a born and raised Indian who has always been a diehard blackcaps fan. More so, they are my favorite team. (Yes, even more than india).

My question is simply out of curiosity....who are the fastest bowlers in new Zealand ATM other than obviously Milne and boult? (was pleasantly surprised with his pace this WC) it would simply be so encouraging to know if there are a few genuine quicks lying around in nzl's domestic scene
    Kippax likes this.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Henry got through in the 140s.
    Wagner can get to low 140s if he steams in
    Gillespie low 140s
    Hamish Bennett low 140s
    I didn't see too much hrv cup this year so can't comment further on the domestic peeps
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Pace wise Milne > Fergusson > Bennett = Boult imo. Bevan Small has wheels (Bennett and Boult category) but with all his injury issues I'm not sure how quick he is these days. After that there are a fair few in the Matt Henry/Tim Southee 135 to low 140s range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Welcome to the forum, it's always great to meet a fellow fan.

After Milne and Boult the next quickest is probably Matt Henry who came in for Milne in the semi's and final (like Boult he's generally in the 138-146 range). Then there are guys like Doug Bracewell who can be in the low 140's when they're in a good rhythm. There are a few promising young medium fast bowlers like Jacob Duffy and Ben Wheeler who are probably in this speed range. But in terms of raw pace, nobody on the domestic circuit comes close to Milne, he's one of a kind at the moment in NZ.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Pace wise Milne > Fergusson > Bennett = Boult imo. Bevan Small has wheels (Bennett and Boult category) but with all his injury issues I'm not sure how quick he is these days. After that there are a fair few in the Matt Henry/Tim Southee 135 to low 140s range.
    Didn't realise Fergusson was meant to be quick. Dean Bartlett is meant to be pretty spritely too, though he's never in an HRV cup game so it's tough to know how quick he really is.

Cricket Spectator
    How can Aussies and South Africans produce bowlers in the mid 140s to low 150s (a few even reach mid 150s quite regularly) on such a regular basis while others can't? Better coaching technique?

International Vice-Captain Kippax's Avatar
    Ferguson's speeds disappointed slightly when he got on the TV, with a highest of 141 I think. Sky's domestic gun seemed to be cheap and nasty to everyone though.
    Don't squander the gold of your days making a shrine of cricket videos, trying to improve the hopeless failure, giving your life away to the Blockys, the Devciches and the Weerasundaras! Surrender your devout little cricketing heart to the inured agribusinessman.

NZ RAIN RADAR . AGRIBUSINESS MONITORING . VIDEO STASH . DOOR TO THE VAULT

zorax likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    Ferguson's speeds disappointed slightly when he got on the TV, with a highest of 141 I think. Sky's domestic gun seemed to be cheap and nasty to everyone though.
    Yeah, Boult topped out at about 140 in the dom T20's, and Southee struggled to hit 130 consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Yeah, Boult topped out at about 140 in the dom T20's, and Southee struggled to hit 130 consistently.
    If that gun is faulty then I am going to blame the gun then outside westpac stadium for clocking our team's opening bowler at 113kms - when I always figured he would be 115-120 range.
    The fastest bowler out of 1000 who tried all day was 115
    Most people were less than 100.

Bennett is the next fastest after Milne, although he's very inconsistent with his pace and is plagued by injuries. He's unlikely to play for NZ again. Gillespie is the same. Boult is quick by default due to his superb rhythm and fitness. Southee can actually crank it up sometimes - particularly when he's looking for reverse, but is generally a yard slower than Boult. Henry is in the Boult category but doesn't yet have that level of fitness and rhythm.

A bowler to look out for in the next couple of seasons is Jacob Duffy. He's not particularly quick (at the moment), but is tall and at his best is similar in style to Ambrose.

I presume that one was in fact 141 and not any quicker.

"Nah, that was just Pollard using his high backlift.... three years from now he's in the Black Caps, booming it!" - Siddons

Haha at the guy foraging in the hedge.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    yeah even with the "sky guns take off 4-5 clicks" meme that's disappointing. looks terrifying on his good days.

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    Bennett is the next fastest after Milne, although he's very inconsistent with his pace and is plagued by injuries. He's unlikely to play for NZ again. Gillespie is the same. Boult is quick by default due to his superb rhythm and fitness. Southee can actually crank it up sometimes - particularly when he's looking for reverse, but is generally a yard slower than Boult. Henry is in the Boult category but doesn't yet have that level of fitness and rhythm.

A bowler to look out for in the next couple of seasons is Jacob Duffy. He's not particularly quick (at the moment), but is tall and at his best is similar in style to Ambrose.
    I wouldn't say that Bennett is inconsistent with his pace. In that ODI at Eden Park v India last year he was clocking mid-140's almost every ball during his first spell. It's just that his action is so energy intensive that he can usually only keep it up for 4 or 5 overs before he becomes a fountain of perspiration and his pace drops off dramatically.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information