• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

fastest bowlers in new Zealand right now?

thundaboult

International Debutant
Just an interesting little pointer here, cricinfo actually lists Lockie/Lachie Ferguson as a straight up right arm fast...maybe I'm getting a little too ahead of myselves but maybe with a little bit of work he could maybe gradually go from hitting 135-140 to 150 someday? Wahab Riaz gradually gained pace so there's that precedent right there.....

And I'm just so sure if Bondy was still around coaching the NZ camp he could add about 5-10k's on his bowlers like he's done with Southee and Boult! Here's hoping he comes back after his IPL stint...

Last edited:

thundaboult

International Debutant
I wouldn't say that Bennett is inconsistent with his pace. In that ODI at Eden Park v India last year he was clocking mid-140's almost every ball during his first spell. It's just that his action is so energy intensive that he can usually only keep it up for 4 or 5 overs before he becomes a fountain of perspiration and his pace drops off dramatically.
Ahhhh....that was another spell from an NZ bowler that really impressed me in recent times. Correct me if I'm wrong but he also put kohli through his personal nightmare during that spell didn't he? I remember kohli having absolutely no answer to Bennett that day. And unfortunately I also remember him huffing and puffing after bowling about 4 overs as well hahahaha

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Andrew Mathieson is pretty quick iirc. Though I don't remember what his speeds were like in the HRV cup this year.

I think the talk around the traps was that he had all the attributes to be a genuine quick but wasn't hostile enough or something. Howsie would know more.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I think the talk around the traps was that he had all the attributes to be a genuine quick but wasn't hostile enough or something. Howsie would know more.
Trace this back to the original source to a cave in Hamilton with the stench of one Mr Blocky leeching out.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Trace this back to the original source to a cave in Hamilton with the stench of one Mr Blocky leeching out.
:laugh: yes I suppose that does sound like something he'd say. Though I was hearing the same thing from people who had actually played against him, so there may have been some truth to it. Perhaps he's figured it out by now, he did have a good one day comp.

Binkley

U19 Captain
Andy McKay's national team days are, sadly, almost certainly over - but he should still make the list.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Me and my friend were arguing today as to what was trent boult's fastest ball in the world cup....he says he saw boult bowl one at 150k while I saw him go no higher than 147. Couldn't really agree with him but did any of you guys see boult breaking the 150 mark @ the cup?? Maybe i've missed something here...

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
Ferguson's speeds disappointed slightly when he got on the TV, with a highest of 141 I think. Sky's domestic gun seemed to be cheap and nasty to everyone though.
Oh I watched a game and he was getting clocked at 145-146 ks. I remember facing him at school, he was bloody quick then too. Didn't get me out though lol.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Was watching an old CUB series - Bond's debut one - on youtube the other day and Chris Harris was clocked at 135kmh.

Would take these speed guns with a grain of salt :ph34r:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Me and my friend were arguing today as to what was trent boult's fastest ball in the world cup....he says he saw boult bowl one at 150k while I saw him go no higher than 147. Couldn't really agree with him but did any of you guys see boult breaking the 150 mark @ the cup?? Maybe i've missed something here...
Boult's top pace was 146.9. Maybe your friend was mixing Boult up with Starc. :p

thundaboult

International Debutant
Boult's top pace was 146.9. Maybe your friend was mixing Boult up with Starc. :p
hahahaha exactly because I only remember 3 other left armers who touched 150. (starc, johnson, riaz)

And btw thank you guys, all of you, for keeping this thread alive. Its really awesome to know that maybe there still are some genuine quicks in NZL. But of course Milne is still in a world of his own. Hopefully that dude can avoid injuries as he is SO PRONE. Also, I would love to see him become a top level strike bowler instead of a third seamer.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
IMO, Boult and Southee are both about 5-10kph short of what they're capable of, but understandably no-one wants to risk ****ing with their actions while they're doing so well.

thundaboult

International Debutant
IMO, Boult and Southee are both about 5-10kph short of what they're capable of, but understandably no-one wants to risk ****ing with their actions while they're doing so well.
If that's the case....then why not have then turn up the speed when they need to! Have them bowl like they do now in tests and meaningless limited overs matches. But nonetheless train them to bowl as fast as they possibly can anyways so they know that they CAN bowl very fast. It could be a psychological boost for them in crunch situations knowing that they have the unexpected weapon of EXTRA pace. They could use that turn up the speed whenever they want as in tournaments or any crucial situation in a game. Mitchell starc and riaz did the exact same thing this tournament. They normally don't hit 150 consistently but I always see them dialing it up a notch in crunch situations.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
It's nothing to do with the effort they're putting in, it's that their actions aren't that biomechanically efficient. They both have poor back foot landing position and therefore bowl around their front leg rather than through it, hence the bent knees. If they fixed that they could possibly put on 5-10kph with no extra effort. Ian Pont tweeted about it. The reason it hasn't been fixed is that after the debacle of the fast bowling academy all our coaches are probably scared of messing with our two best bowlers while they're doing well.

JediNudist

U19 Debutant
How can Aussies and South Africans produce bowlers in the mid 140s to low 150s (a few even reach mid 150s quite regularly) on such a regular basis while others can't? Better coaching technique?
Population talent wise always helps. Also pitches are conducive to fast bowling. Hard and bouncy, especially Australian pitches You have to be quick to get good use of those pitch. In NZ pitches are generally a lot less bouncier. Conditions for swing are prevalent. You don't have to be a Starc , Milne or Bond and need pace due to the swing conditions.
Correct me if Im wrong though.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Well there's nothing like the intimidation factor a fast bowler brings. I think that's what Australia really excels in. New Zealand had bond and now they milne....but I don't think milne will be enough. Hopefully there are guys who either turn it up as time goes by as they get better and stronger or some genuine quicks in the domestic scene itself.

GGG

State Captain
Population talent wise always helps. Also pitches are conducive to fast bowling. Hard and bouncy, especially Australian pitches You have to be quick to get good use of those pitch. In NZ pitches are generally a lot less bouncier. Conditions for swing are prevalent. You don't have to be a Starc , Milne or Bond and need pace due to the swing conditions.
Correct me if Im wrong though.
Sounds about right and it is no coincidence that we have the best bowling stocks as we have ever had since our wickets have become bouncier and faster. Steve Waugh pointed that out the other day when discussing our rise.

Howsie

International Captain
Yeah Howsie (and therefore agribusiness) doesn't really rate Duffy or see your hints of Ambrose in him, but he does rate this big six-tenner Kyle Jamieson, which is interesting.

Canterbury's so flush with young bowlers atm. Lock them in for another good season next year, seeing you can get any dirty old Ellis or Hira to put your runs on the board in the Plunket Shield these days.
He's a decent prospect but you wouldn't say he was anything special would you? I didn't see much of his bowling this season but I've always believed it was a bad sign that he looked a better bowler at 17 then he did say six months ago at 20.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Sounds about right and it is no coincidence that we have the best bowling stocks as we have ever had since our wickets have become bouncier and faster. Steve Waugh pointed that out the other day when discussing our rise.
Great post.

I remember in the late 80s there was a great huha (technical word) about the new Seddon Park block and how it was going to have great pace and carry. Is it still the same clay as back then...

Either way thumbs up to our administrators for trying to improve the game.