• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will test cricket survive into the 2030s?

Cric123

School Boy/Girl Captain
I have to be honest and say it's far from certain. You can see signs that appeal of the longer format is weakening in all but England and Australia. Players feigning injury, lack of motivation (they would rather be at the IPL to pick up a hefty paycheck). And to be honest, even in England the test game ( as far as attendance is concerned) is only very well supported against Australia. If the Indians living in the UK did not attend the series against India then those grounds would be half empty. I think it is only the Ashes and maybe South Africa series they can sell out.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have to be honest and say it's far from certain. You can see signs that appeal of the longer format is weakening in all but England and Australia. Players feigning injury, lack of motivation (they would rather be at the IPL to pick up a hefty paycheck). And to be honest, even in England the test game ( as far as attendance is concerned) is only very well supported against Australia. If the Indians living in the UK did not attend the series against India then those grounds would be half empty. I think it is only the Ashes and maybe South Africa series they can sell out.
For the part in bold - Not true.

For the part underlined - Indians are going to grow in population everywhere. So this should be a good thing, no?

Cric123

School Boy/Girl Captain
Are England going to be playing a weakened WI? My predictions for the game in 20 years time is that we will exclusively play T20 cricket. It will likely be domestic, something similar to the MLB. A six month season where each team plays around 40 or 50 games each. The ICC will obviously disband as it won't be necessary. I got to say, I will miss the ODI World Cup though. Sorry to be so doom and gloom but I honestly can see signs the longer format of the game has been on decline for years.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Strange this. Basin Reserve Tests have had bumper crowds in the last few years, and when I tried to get tickets for the New Zealand Lord's Test, the ballot for the first 3 days was massively oversubscribed and the 4th day only had a few tickets left outside of the ballot. Sounds like doom-mongering codswallop to me.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Are England going to be playing a weakened WI? My predictions for the game in 20 years time is that we will exclusively play T20 cricket. It will likely be domestic, something similar to the MLB. A six month season where each team plays around 40 or 50 games each. The ICC will obviously disband as it won't be necessary. I got to say, I will miss the ODI World Cup though. Sorry to be so doom and gloom but I honestly can see signs the longer format of the game has been on decline for years.
do you foresee the death of test match cricket happening quicker in england if our immigration authorities grow some balls?

HeathDavisSpeed

Also, I was at day 2 and 3 of the Ashes Test at Lord's in 1993 and there were empty seats there. The Wisden report shows attendance was 110,802 over the five days. The 2009 Lord's Ashes test attracted 142,000 over the 5 days. The 2013 match only had a lower attendance as there was no fifth day.

Athlai

Not Terrible
If you don't think the IPL has dimmed the motivation of some west indian cricketers to play test cricket then you are in cloud ****oo land.
most international cricketers see their cricket board as the stable entity and the IPL as the circus. For the West Indies players it's the opposite. The WICBs complete mismanagement of their cricket shouldn't be used as an example of the tides changing. It's a completely different kettle of fish.

Cric123

School Boy/Girl Captain
For Test and ODIs to survive, I think they will need to trim the calendar. There are far too many meaningless ODIs taking place. I think an ODI series should be no more than three matches, and it will great if they have some context to them. Without context the matches become similar to international football friendlies, which most people don't take seriously. I think there ought to be a world league over three years (in between the World Cup).

I would also like to see the time taken to bowl an over reduce significantly. If they are bowling 13 overs an hour then it is just under five minutes an over, far too long. 15 over minimum in test cricket, 16 overs in ODIs, 17 in ODIs.