• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RIP Richie Benaud

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is very sad news. I think for most any Australian and English cricket lover who grew up from the 1970s onwards, he was the voice of cricket. Always erudite, didn't over commentate and was prepared to say exactly what he thought. I think he saw more test matches than any other person in history. His knowledge was unsurpassed and the game is so much poorer for his passing. RIP

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
His voice will always be synonymous with the Australian summer. Won't be the same without him. :(

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Incredibly admirable player and captain and quite literally the voice of cricket. Hopefully someone can carry on his legacy of letting the pictures do the talking somewhere. A great servant to the game in every aspect.

RIP

smash84

The Tiger King
Richie Benaud,

What a legend. Such a gentleman and embodied all that was good in this game. Will be missed. Am so so sad :(

What a great man. RIP

grecian

Such a shame, but he lives on in our collective memories as the voice of this great game, evoking great joy any passion whenever you heard it.

RIP

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
My heart just sunk in my chest. I suppose it has been coming for a while, what with his illness and all, but this is really terribly sad news.

I remember when I first got into cricket what struck me about him was the way in which had a remarkable manner of delivery commentary that was friendly and welcoming; it gave off a similar vibe to that which I used to feel from my grandparents.

His understated style is something has been sorely missed since he stopped working. He was always able demonstrate high level of expertise without ever being brash nor having to shout about it, nor indeed making the same point ad nauseum. He was also one of the last commentators in any sport that I can recall who actually provided a genuine commentary. Almost everyone these days, regardless of sport, seems to be determined to provide a narrative.

I shall remember him very fondly and miss him a great deal.

Pothas

RIP

One of my fondest cricket memories was the standing ovation he got at Lords during a domestic final when he finished his final commentary stint at the ground.

Just a great man.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, can't add anything to the above really but definitely the voice of cricket for me. RIP, world is a worse place than it was yesterday

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Wow, just heard the news. Great man, great loss. Thoughts and prayers with his loved ones, but also with the millions of fans who never knew him, but felt as if they did.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Had he stopped commentating for Channel 9?

Just thinking now that it's been a while since I've heard him commentate on a game. Only had the pleasure of listening to him for 3 English summers plus the odd Test I've caught from Australia.

How different do we reckon the game might be if World Series Cricket hadn't had him to lend it some credibility in its infancy?

watson

Banned
RICHIE BENAUD
1930 - 2015

Cricket icon Richie Benaud, who distinguished himself first as a leg-spinning all-rounder, then as a daring Australian Test captain and later as the 'voice of cricket' in the commentary box, has died at the age of 84.

Benaud's skills, drive and determination took him to the top on and off the cricket field, and made him one of Australia's most recognised people, instantly identifiable simply as Richie.

He played 63 Tests for Australia, was the first player to score 2,000 Test runs and take 200 Test wickets, and never lost a series as Australian captain.

After hanging up his Baggy Green cap, he spent more than four decades as the king of cricket commentators, a man viewed around the world as one of the best callers, watchers and analysts of the game - and perhaps its best ambassador as well.

Benaud died after a battle with skin cancer.

Richie Benaud - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
Summers, being Christmas holidays in Australia, are when you have many great times in your life...and Rich was always there in the background

A real part of our lives during many hot, memorable, endless Summers

morgieb

Had he stopped commentating for Channel 9?

Just thinking now that it's been a while since I've heard him commentate on a game. Only had the pleasure of listening to him for 3 English summers plus the odd Test I've caught from Australia.

How different do we reckon the game might be if World Series Cricket hadn't had him to lend it some credibility in its infancy?
Not officially, but he had taken leave due to health issues.

morgieb

Anyway, I can't add much more than what every else did. Just the feeling that a piece of cricket had died. Commentary will be poorer without him. RIP.

howardj

International Coach
He crashed his car at the start of the Ashes Summer of 2013/2014 and had been off ever since

In the latter half of 2014 he contracted skin cancer; with the treatment really taking its on his aging body