• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RIP Richie Benaud

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Remember when he worked out how Warne was setting up Cullinan with the "obvious flipper" before getting him with the concealed one. That was legendary. Made Cullinan look like a giant idiot, as if Warne hadn't done enough on that front already :)

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
I've been watching and listening to cricket for over 40 years.

John Arlott and Richie Benaud were the gold standard for cricket commentary then, and remained so as long as they commentated. In fact, I've never heard a better sports commentator than these two.

They both had the ability to use just the right term - and not overuse words.

My favourite memory of him comes from the 1981 Ashes. On the third evening on the 4th Test England have set Australia just 151 to win, and that thanks to an improbable last wicket stand between Taylor and Willis. But after Headingley all things are possible and the crowd are roaring the bowlers to the crease. It's loud. before long Chris Old bowls Graeme Wood. The crowd go ape**** crazy. The wild cheering goes on while Wood leaves the field, the England team congratulate Old, the next batsman comes to the crease and takes guard and the fielders go back to their places. It is still loud. Richie has not said a word (it would have been hard to her him). Finally, as Old gets to the start of his run up, it goes quiet.

Richie Benaud: "Lions 1 Christians 0"

Perfect.

As Bill Lawry put it in the 12th Man tapes "Hail Richie, Hail the GREAT man!"

Last edited:

Dissector

International Debutant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOLY6k1vq3A

This may have been Benaud's finest moment as a player; the legendary Manchester test in 1961. England was chasing 256 and was 150-1 when Benaud switched to round the wicket and started a collapse which bowled England out for 201. Benaud's celebrations after his wickets are striking, this was just 5 years after Laker's ten-for but could have been a different era.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
It's tough to put into words how much effect he had on the game. As a young kid growing up in a largely football-mad family; he was probably the only one I could have a real 'conversation' about the game with. If Richie wasn't commentating, it just didn't feel right or indeed like it was 'cricket'...that's how used to him I'd become. Already missed him from the commentary box and will miss him even more. RIP Richie.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Jonathan Stevenson
‏@Stevo_football
Wrote to Richie Benaud when I was 16 about bowling leggies. His detailed reply says everything about the great man

Tromperie

Cricket Spectator
RIP.

With Benaud gone, how many people do we have who could actually be considered 'voices of cricket' these days? Agnew and Maxwell? Struggling to think of any more TBH.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Was credited with helping to save the game as a player. Probably did as much to preserve it as a commentator.

RIP Richie.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
This is very sad news. I think for most any Australian and English cricket lover who grew up from the 1970s onwards, he was the voice of cricket. Always erudite, didn't over commentate and was prepared to say exactly what he thought. I think he saw more test matches than any other person in history. His knowledge was unsurpassed and the game is so much poorer for his passing. RIP
couldn't agree more
Also, I'm unhappy about the fact that now Ian Chappell will replace him as the most knowledgeable Australian ex-cricketer+commentator. That is a big step downwards.

RIP

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richie is responsible for almost every single use of the word "perpendicular" I've heard in my life.