• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RIP Richie Benaud

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Richie's commentating tips

Never ask a statement.
Remember the value of the pause.
There are no teams in the world called 'we' or 'they'.
Avoid cliches and banalities, such as 'he's hit that to the boundary', 'he won't want to get out now', 'of course', 'as you can see on the screen'.
The Titanic was a tragedy, the Ethiopian drought a disaster, and neither bears any relation to a dropped catch.
Put your brain into gear before opening your mouth.
Concentrate fiercely at all times.
Above all, don't take yourself too seriously, and have fun.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
To me I liked that he had such a formidable playing career, yet he gave even more to the game by taking it to the masses in the commentary box and journalism pieces he wrote. I'll miss the many anecdotes. Marvelous

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richie's commentating tips

Never ask a statement.
Remember the value of the pause.
There are no teams in the world called 'we' or 'they'.
Avoid cliches and banalities, such as 'he's hit that to the boundary', 'he won't want to get out now', 'of course', 'as you can see on the screen'.
The Titanic was a tragedy, the Ethiopian drought a disaster, and neither bears any relation to a dropped catch.
Put your brain into gear before opening your mouth.
Concentrate fiercely at all times.
Above all, don't take yourself too seriously, and have fun.
The current C9 commentary team really took that last one to heart

howardj

International Coach
One of the great lovers of cricket

He really loved the game

That he got paid for his commentary was a bonus

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If it wasn't for Benaud I probably wouldn't be here - back in the day he and Jim Laker were up there with Morecambe and Wise and Simon and Garfunkel - RIP Richie

midge

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Richie, haven't seen you play, but have listened to your commentary. It was so elegant. You were a wonderful human being...you will stay in our hearts forever. RIP

harsh.ag

Echoing Flem, I shall forever revere your words and thoughts on cricket, Richie. Thank you.

flibbertyjibber

RIP Richie.

Such sad news to wake up to.

He was the voice of cricket on tv when I was growing up. He will never be bettered.

harsh.ag

The man was a champion at all aspects - bowling, batting, captaincy, commentary, making the 12th man hilarious with "for ****'s sake, Bill" - the most all round all rounder ever.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
a true giant of the game.

it'll be said umpteen times but he was the voice of summer throughout my youth.

the great thing imo about his commentary was his absolute impartiality when on air, something so many commentators in all walks of sport these days completely forget about.

i'll never forget the final part of channel 4s coverage of the 2005 ashes series at the oval where mark nicholas and he wrapped the series up on the pitch whilst the england players celebrated around them and the way richie talked there was a slight tinge of happiness that england had finally after so many years of wretched displays put together an ashes winning side.

a cricket legend and a fan to his very core. one of us.

Daemon

Cricket's lost a lot with both Greig and Benaud passing in the span of a few years. So much aura, passion and professionalism. RIP.

Sounds stupid and childish but my most vivid memories of his voice actually come from EA Cricket '07.