• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RIP Richie Benaud

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Richie Benaud has quite probably exerted more influence on the game of cricket than almost any other man in history.

Firstly, as a brilliant, and flashy player- a hard hitting lower order batsman and skilled leg-spin bowler. One of the great fieldsmen, excellent in the gully. It's easy to forget Benaud was an outstanding cricketer once upon a time. A man who started his test career in a team containing Hassett, Harvey, Miller and Lindwall. Benaud is a direct link to a completely different era of cricket. It is sobering to think he started his career not long after WWII, for so many Australians my age he was a tangible link to men of our grandfather's era. He became an innovative and unorthodox captain of some great Australian teams, including stars such as Alan Davidson, Bob Simpson and Billy Lawry and Neil Harvey.

Secondly, as an advocate for player's rights. His standing in the game gave WSC credibility, and in a very real sense he was a union leader, a man prepared to fight for the underdog against the controlling powers. One of the most admirable traits in men imo.

Thirdly, and enough has been said and will be said about this, but he was a peerless commentator. His comments always appropriate and incisive, and added to the format. The last few years of commentary in Australian sans Richie have been like watching Jimmy Barnes perform without Ian Moss or Don Walker. A lot of noise, but you just ache for some subtlety.

It is remarkable to think that this man began his FC cricket career nearly seventy years ago. And in that time in the public eye, he has carried himself with integrity, grace and serious gravitas. Vale to a truly great man of the game.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One of the last of the great voices of Cricket; many of the rest are long gone. Benaud was an integral part of my childhood when watching cricket. Measured, balanced - much less prone to severe and debilitating bouts of hyperbole than modern commentators and able to provide informed analysis on individual players and plays. With him, you never heard ill-informed comments about a newly selected young player or anything along the lines of 'we don't know much about this chap'. A sound that summer had arrived has passed, and it's much to the detriment of children growing up now that they will never get to hear his dulcet tones and expert opinion on a live cricket match.

howardj

International Coach
He also didn't seem to hold grudges, barrack for a team, or have agendas...or if he did, these never infected his commentary

This stands in stark contrast to many current commentators

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
They say the mark of a good movie soundtrack is that you don't notice it's there. Richie proved that it's much the same with commentary, was always enhancing the spectacle without intruding.

RIP Richie.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
RIP Richie. Touched our lives through his compassionate voice. Talked with a lot of knowledge and without bull. He will remain an institution. So much to learn from the great Richie Benaud.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
For the vast majority of us, regardless of age, he is the voice of our youth.

If I wasn't a godless heathen, I would like to think St. Peter would welcome the great man to heaven with "Morning Richie", he would settle down with an iced libation and softly reply "Morning everyone."

smash84

The Tiger King
I guess Richie's own immortal words sound quite appropriate here

"What a marvelous innings"

RIP Sir

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
An absolutely amazing commentator. Taught me more about the game, both with what he said and what he left unsaid, than almost any other figure in cricket.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shane Watson @ShaneRWatson33
Respected and looked up to by all, you will be sorely missed #Legend
Vale Richie Benaud #RIPRichie

aww

jonbrooks

International Debutant
RIP Richie.

Grew up listening to his commentary. It wasn't a summer without having him on the TV commentating on the cricket.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Posthumous Knighthood?

State Funeral?
The bloke was so amazing he deserves both. The bloke was so humble he wouldn't have wanted either.

Great cricketer, great commentator, great human being.

EDIT: Sorry OS - didn't mean to write almost the same as you. I think I skimmed the comments and must have subconsciously taken in it, then thought it was 'my' phrase/sentence.

Last edited:

jcas0167

International Debutant
The voice of cricket. Also had a good sense of humour about the Third Man impersonations. Will always remember his unique pronunciation of two as tew. I was particularly amused when he commented on Roger Twose batting. If he got two runs it sounded like Richie was saying tew for Tews.

A real gentleman who brought class, insight and a dry wit to the commentary role. Rest in peace.