• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Domestic Season 2015

91Jmay

International Coach
Nick Gubbins would have been worth a look in 50 over stuff. He had a good Royal London Cup last year.

In first class games Tom Fell and Matt Machan I think would have come in as well. Neither will ever be England cricketers but both young and had good seasons.

SeamUp

International Coach
Duckett is a potential international class talent with the bat but seems to have the maturity of a kid hitting adolescence at the moment. He won't get selected for anything if he keeps getting in trouble.
Lees had a poor old season and was struggling with his technique but I'd guess is still highly rated.
Leaning had an excellent first half then fell away and looked average the second half. Imo the least chance of playing for England of the 4.
Hain doesn't qualify as English until next year but will probably be on a lions tour next winter if there is a 4 day tour.

I doubt any of them would have toured with the lions this winter if it was a four day tour and all are at least one excellent season away from any chance of playing for the full england team in any format.

It's the top order batsman who have suffered from there being no lions first class tour this winter. Rory Burns and Nick Browne are two who have put together a good couple of seasons who may well have got an opportunity. Scott Borthwick is another who might have got a chance.

Personally I think Westley, Bell-Drummond and Foakes are a long way from playing for England. They're not anywhere near international class at the moment - and I doubt they will make it long term. However I don't really have any problem with their selection because there aren't a whole load of alternatives in the shorter formats.

They are scraping the barrel a little in batting terms but in this instance it's more to do with all the talent promoted to the full 50 over and t20 teams this year and others playing domestic t20s around the world - rather than England being particularly weak in this area. The basis for the batting for the next 5-10 years in ODI Cricket is basically there already - Root, Taylor, Morgan, Buttler, Billings, Stokes, Ali + borderline players like Hales, Roy, Vince. For once with 3 and 1/2 years to go until the next world cup England are in an excellent position in batting terms.... theoretically..... until it all goes wrong in 3 years time...
Ta mate.

If anything you probably are looking for that next test opener and you don't see it in that limited overs squad so you kind of hoping Lees returns to his best & Duckett gets his head right and continues to open. I haven't see much of Burns & Browne but do they have international potential ?

Although that next age group down does look encouraging with Lawrence & Hameed.

There is the call by some that Plunkett should be in SA but this also gives the selectors the opportunity to judge Ball, J.Overton & Curran to see where they are vs him right now because he got his chance early, had a break and come back and I still don't see anything to convince me that at 30 he has convinced enough to be in an England squad. Always looked uncomfortable in his run up and action and bowled hogwash short balls to me.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
MATTHEW HOBDEN

Clearly there isn't going to be a happy ending to this one, but hoping it's not another study for David Frith

I've got three kids about the same age - the poor parents must be devastated

fredfertang

At least it seems he was happy and oblivious to what happened to him - not sure why that should be a source of a crumb of comfort, but for me it feels it is

91Jmay

International Coach
Brutal week. Just awful. Watched Allin a few times as a teenager, played ****ing well for Devon last season.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Really sad about Hobden and Allin.

Although you wouldn't know it from his stats so far, Hobden had a real chance of playing for England. Could bowl with real pace. Thought there was a little bit of Jason Gillespie in his action.

Pothas

Bell captain of Warwickshire then, they are going to be very strong this year, would be surprised if he did not make a lot of runs.

theegyptian

Malan and Vince doing well in this A series can only be good for England. Opening spot is the only realy position in the top 6 that is open. Good competition for Hales and Roy. I reckon they'll make a judgement on those two after the SA ODI series and maybe discard one and give Vince/Malan/Ali a go at the top of the order during the summer.

theegyptian

Bad news for Surrey and England with ford taking up the SL job again. Done a good job and a load of very promising young players at Surrey. Hopefully for England's sake they get in a good coach to aid the players development.

theegyptian

Disappointing end for Lions losing 3-2 to Pakistan a having been 2-0 up. Malan, Vince and Billings pushing hard for a chance in the full team. None of the bowlers seemed to have disgraced themselves (at least looking at the figures). Ball and T Curran from the squad would be the two who I reckon might get a chance in the ODI team next summer if an opportunity arised. Dawson might even get the call for the World T20's if they take a third spinner.

From the u19s the other night. Burnham impressed me. Good shot execution and looked to have plenty of time when facing the seamers. Poor OD bat as he doesn't rotate the strike and will struggle in the tournament against the strong spin heavy teams ( as seen from his recent scores). Looks ready for an opportunity at the top of the order for Durham this summer in four day cricket.

Saq Mahmood looks capable of being a limited overs regular for lancs this year. Decent control and action. Had that low arm yorker at decent pace thing going well towards the end of the innings and was getting some tail in. Bit of Brett Lee and Waqar Younis. Could be a real option for England as an odi bowler if he develops. Don't have many with similar qualities in English game (Dernbach, Fisher maybe as well looked to be dropping the arm last summer and lookking for yorkers).

Woodster

International Captain
Bad news for Surrey and England with ford taking up the SL job again. Done a good job and a load of very promising young players at Surrey. Hopefully for England's sake they get in a good coach to aid the players development.
Yes Paul Farbrace would have been a very good option for all concerned you would have thought, unfortunately he has apparently turned it down with the opportunity coming slightly too soon. Graham Thorpe is an obvious candidate.

theegyptian

The Pakistan Super League seems to be on PTV Prime which is sky channel 792 for any UK watchers who want to see how the likes of Vince, Billings and Malan do (and Ravi, KP and Luke Wright). Seems to be free for those with a general sky package.

Billings (& Ashar Zaidi) vs KP and Wright today. 4pm

Shame that Billing's team has Haddin in it. Probably means that Billings will be doing the fielder rather than keeping.

theegyptian

Scott Borthwick with a ton last night for Wellington. Means he has first class hundreds in SL, NZ and ENG domestic competitions. Wonder who was the last English player to score hundreds in three different countries first class competitions? Can't think of anyone recently. Maybe Graeme Hick. (Yep, Aus, NZ and Eng but not ZImbabwe because they didn't have fc cricket until 93).