• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The use of the word "genius" in a sporting context

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Platini is a massive ass, and, as perhaps the second best player of the 80s and of France overall, he has it all to gain from the above statement.

cpr

International Coach
Interesting Sledger mentioned Zidane over Messi for genius, as that's what I was thinking. There's being incredibly skilful, such as Messi with the ball at his feet, but then there's dictacting the entire play, spotting passes that no-one thinks of - be that the footballer carving something out of nothing, or the tennis player who controls a whole rally to set up an easy point with his opponent hideously out of position.... Someone who can do that again and again has a level of genius to it

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Wasn't Zidane in his prime sort of the same?

What I'm most amazed with by Messi is that he's done it for 8 years now practically without a serious blip (I know staying at one club probably helps)

harsh.ag

I've never much liked it because I tend to associate the word 'genius' with intellect; most, if perhaps not all, sporting brilliance isn't intellectual in nature. Not sure if my interpretation of the word is right or not really but it's how I've always understood the word.
In a sporting context "genius" is just shorthand for "preternaturally gifted", to my way of thinking.

An exponent of his art and/or craft who can do things that make one's pulse quicken and become aware one's witnessing something out of the mere quotidian. ABdeV's recent effort did that. Anyone who's ever watched cricket instinctively knew they were witnessing something special that only the very few who're blessed with something extraordinary could've achieved.
A lot of who are referred to as genius in sports might do better under the heading of savant, I would venture.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
When I think of genius and sport I think Federer and Lara. Probably Tiger in his prime.

Shady Slim

International Coach
i feel it can be used as a derivative of smart play or clever shots to manipulate field placings where i guess a term such as strategic genius is appropriate though it is not often used that way and is more used to describe talent or form

JBMAC

State Captain
"Sporting Genius'" = Rocky Marciano, Cassius Clay, Bobby Charlton, Don Bradman, Pele, Shane Warne, Rod Laver, Jack Niclaus,....all greats with what I believe a common thread making them "Geniuses". ALL were top of their game and dominated having the ability to excel at their chosen sport, dominate their peers with not only their sporting prowess but used their brains to do so.

harsh.ag

Bobby Charlton is an interesting pick. I remember him saying after the Argentina '86 game that his team had done absolutely every thing right, and they didn't lose for lack of discipline, but only due to the genius of Maradona. Also, quite a lot of people would pick his Old Trafford colleague, Best, over him when it comes to genius.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
This thread reminds me of my late aunt. Not just because Sledger posts like an old woman, but also because she used to say "How dare they?" when a commentator referred to a sportsman as a "hero".