Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: The use of the word "genius" in a sporting context

Yeah I know 'talent' is another word some are not keen on around here but I can't believe many have had more than him.

International Regular
    Nah - this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q1ZaTOXm8k

Best sportsperson since Michael Jordan
    SuperMurali likes this.

I had a massive headache when Atherton was explaining the difference between Murali and Warne and talking about how Warne was the more, intelligent thinking bowler who changed according to circumstances but Murali's huge spin had more 'genius'.

I have no problem when say, a brilliant conscious ploy by a bowler against a batsman or a captain is called genius but my biggest gripe with it is that it is incredibly misused.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Get where sledger is coming from. A part of your brain sort of wants to reserve the word genius for people who perform acts which bring about incredible and hitherto unimaginable change in the world. Sporting geniuses, while bringing great joy to the world, even to the extent of becoming cultural and historical monuments, can somehow feel to be slightly lesser.

Federer though...
    Last edited by harsh.ag; 08-04-2015 at 07:10 AM.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend fredfertang's Avatar
    Maradona the ultimate sporting evil genius - never have I found it so easy to detest a sporting icon, but **** me he could do things with a football no one else could

"What Zidane does with a ball, Maradona could do with an orange"
    Michel Platini

Platini is a massive ass, and, as perhaps the second best player of the 80s and of France overall, he has it all to gain from the above statement.

cpr
    Interesting Sledger mentioned Zidane over Messi for genius, as that's what I was thinking. There's being incredibly skilful, such as Messi with the ball at his feet, but then there's dictacting the entire play, spotting passes that no-one thinks of - be that the footballer carving something out of nothing, or the tennis player who controls a whole rally to set up an easy point with his opponent hideously out of position.... Someone who can do that again and again has a level of genius to it
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

rather mad Norwegian Magrat Garlick's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Wasn't Zidane in his prime sort of the same?

What I'm most amazed with by Messi is that he's done it for 8 years now practically without a serious blip (I know staying at one club probably helps)
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett, Benaud and Thunberg

I had a glimpse of Eureka
    Chewing me up, chewing me up and spitting me out

-jected, I was rejected
    I wasn't good enough to be elected
    Lava, it was like lava
    Moving through my body like fire

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey View Post
    I've never much liked it because I tend to associate the word 'genius' with intellect; most, if perhaps not all, sporting brilliance isn't intellectual in nature. Not sure if my interpretation of the word is right or not really but it's how I've always understood the word.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    In a sporting context "genius" is just shorthand for "preternaturally gifted", to my way of thinking.

An exponent of his art and/or craft who can do things that make one's pulse quicken and become aware one's witnessing something out of the mere quotidian. ABdeV's recent effort did that. Anyone who's ever watched cricket instinctively knew they were witnessing something special that only the very few who're blessed with something extraordinary could've achieved.
    A lot of who are referred to as genius in sports might do better under the heading of savant, I would venture.

Does this thread remind anyone else of this one: Why I will stop calling players talented: A discussion of terminology

RIP Phil Hughes. Forever 63*

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    When I think of genius and sport I think Federer and Lara. Probably Tiger in his prime.
    Pratters likes this.
    Aus.
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Smith^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I.
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A.
    Richards | Smith*^ | Kallis5^ | Pollock | deViliers^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng.
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Genius can refer to either intellect or talent. This is a weird thread.
    Jono likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT
    [Zorax on Burgey]
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Wish I could articulate myself all over your face tbh
    And they say romance is dead.

International Debutant Shady Slim's Avatar
    i feel it can be used as a derivative of smart play or clever shots to manipulate field placings where i guess a term such as strategic genius is appropriate though it is not often used that way and is more used to describe talent or form

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information