• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

whats going on with acb selectors

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
are they just stupid or do they have rocks in there head.

seriously why bring back Michael Kasprowicz who is 31 yrs of age, might as well bring back 1/2 the reirement village

seriously when are they going to get it right for replacements that are not dipping into there superannuation allready

bad move acb, bad move

Don Ricardo

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Do you actually follow Australian cricket that closely?

Kasprowicz more than deserves him chance, and is year after year one of the most dangerous bowlers in the country.

He got called up in india recently and did a fine job- in fact, i'm surprised he wasnt seriously considered for the last couple of tests here when the bowling started to fall apart a bit.

And about his age, 31 isnt that old at all. He definately sitill has it in him, shown by his recent decimation of tassie in the ING.

Who else can you suggest with better credentials?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
nah i agree wth buggs, they should have gone for Tait - or someone else younger, Austrlian cricket MUSt look towards the future more and more as our greater population, our cricket team has an aging population

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
there is plenty of good fast bolwers around that deserve a chance,

* why get rid of bichel

* seriously he probably wont even get a game with williams, lee, gillespe all ok

* the acb luv going back to the players that have been given chances and produce slight glimmers but nothing outstanding, if he has been bowling so bloody well why wait till now to bring him into the side.

* n braken, did so well in india
m nicholson has had an outstanding year with the blues
p rofe has had a great year and just went through the vics
s tait is the next up and coming

i dont know maybe i am wrong but gees

d martyn isnt travelling to well either but they wont drop him for m waugh know will they!

Andre

International Regular
bugssy said:
d martyn isnt travelling to well either but they wont drop him for m waugh know will they!
Mark Waugh has the slight disadvantage of being retired....

That was a really, really bad example mate :D:lol:

Don Ricardo

age_master said:
nah i agree wth buggs, they should have gone for Tait - or someone else younger, Austrlian cricket MUSt look towards the future more and more as our greater population, our cricket team has an aging population
Whilst it is reasonable to look to the future, you dont introduce a 2o-odd year old quick to the team in the finals of a major competition- that is just lunacy.

Kasper is in great form, and the selectors know that if he is called upon he will reliably do the business.

There are plenty of better times to introduce tait et al.

Don Ricardo

bugssy said:
there is plenty of good fast bolwers around that deserve a chance,

* why get rid of bichel

* seriously he probably wont even get a game with williams, lee, gillespe all ok

* the acb luv going back to the players that have been given chances and produce slight glimmers but nothing outstanding, if he has been bowling so bloody well why wait till now to bring him into the side.

* n braken, did so well in india
m nicholson has had an outstanding year with the blues
p rofe has had a great year and just went through the vics
s tait is the next up and coming

i dont know maybe i am wrong but gees

1/ Bichel has been bowling rubbish
(he is also even older than Kasper as well- not that that should really influence selection)

2/But if there is an injury or something kasper will reliably do the business

3/I have no idea why he has never been in the side all these years- that was the real mistake by the selectors, now they are simply rectifying it.

4/ If you watched aussie domestic cricket you would know that bracken and nicholson are nowwhere near as good as kasper.

Also, they too fall into the category of "players that have been given chances and produce slight glimmers but nothing outstanding"- if the acb didnt return to players that had been previously discarded, the team would not have hayden, ponting, martyn, langer, lehmann, katich, symonds, harvey, gillespie, hogg...just about the whole sqaud

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
Don Ricardo said:
1/ Bichel has been bowling rubbish
(he is also even older than Kasper as well- not that that should really influence selection)

2/But if there is an injury or something kasper will reliably do the business

3/I have no idea why he has never been in the side all these years- that was the real mistake by the selectors, now they are simply rectifying it.

4/ If you watched aussie domestic cricket you would know that bracken and nicholson are nowwhere near as good as kasper.

Also, they too fall into the category of "players that have been given chances and produce slight glimmers but nothing outstanding"- if the acb didnt return to players that had been previously discarded, the team would not have hayden, ponting, martyn, langer, lehmann, katich, symonds, harvey, gillespie, hogg...just about the whole sqaud

the players u mentioned may have had 1 or 2 chances, but i think kaspa has been called into the team on more than once or twice, seriously, if u think he is a good bolwer and deserves a spot thats great but i feel there are a lot of better bolwers more than capable of doing the job not that they will get a chance, but hey good luck to the acb selectors, and in 10 years time when 4 or 5 young guns have missed there opportunity there wont be too many ppl to blame cause we luv bringing back the pensioners.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Don Ricardo said:
Whilst it is reasonable to look to the future, you dont introduce a 2o-odd year old quick to the team in the finals of a major competition- that is just lunacy.

Kasper is in great form, and the selectors know that if he is called upon he will reliably do the business.

There are plenty of better times to introduce tait et al.
yeah well said, Tait's time will come, he is very raw.
Kasprowicz performed well in India, no prob with that selection.

Andre

International Regular
bugssy said:
the players u mentioned may have had 1 or 2 chances, but i think kaspa has been called into the team on more than once or twice, seriously, if u think he is a good bolwer and deserves a spot thats great but i feel there are a lot of better bolwers more than capable of doing the job not that they will get a chance, but hey good luck to the acb selectors, and in 10 years time when 4 or 5 young guns have missed there opportunity there wont be too many ppl to blame cause we luv bringing back the pensioners.
Name a time in the last few years where the selectors have made a mistake that has put Australian cricket in a downward spiral?

Look, an injection of youth is cute, but you pick the best avaliable player at the time for the position in the squad.

If Kasper is that man (which is clearly visible to all, any arguements?), so be it.

He has been the best bowler on the domestic curicuit for at least the past 5 summers running, bar none - he's a quality bowler and has done some fantastic things for Australia - need we forget India and England, 1997?

He deserves his selection and those of you who knock it do it at your own peril.

As for Bracken, he's complete garbage.

Tait is far more likely for the longer version - hes quick and exciting, but he's still far too wayward for one day cricket.

Rofe doesn't play one day cricket for SA, let alone Australia!

If any bloke is unlucky, it's Damien Wright.

Yet I fail to see a better fast bowler on the domestic circuit than Kasper.

By your theory, when McGrath and Warne are avliable for selection, do we discard them both because they are old?

Don Ricardo

Quote by Buggsy: "as did n braken"

Kasperwicz has also carried his good form consistently throughout the summer- like he does every summer

Bracken has most certainly not been consisten- he can have his moments (ie india) but he is one of the most erratic performers in the country. If youve watched him bowl at all this domestic summer you would realise just how pedestrian he can be.

Last edited:

Slow Love™

International Captain
It's a tough decision for the selectors - generally, the "prioritise youth at all costs" policy some follow annoys me, because I don't think it's universally applicable.

I don't think it was a bad decision, really - he's got the figures this year to back it up, and has probably been hard done by for a while, as the selectors fixated on Nathan Bracken. He might also be a very good option for the subcontinent.

Players like Nicholson and Tait will get their chance.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Andre said:
By your theory, when McGrath and Warne are avliable for selection, do we discard them both because they are old?
Agree with everything you said, but the truth of the matter is yes, many people DO believe this (and regarding Darren Lehmann too).

It seems to have not been noticed that losing extraordinary, experienced, older players has hurt us far more recently than the injection of new, younger talent has helped us. It's not always the case, but it's food for thought with those obsessed with the idea that at above the age of 30, a cricketer belongs in a retirement village.

The obsession with youth also makes more sense when your team is so unsuccessful that they see rebuilding as the only answer - and this is nowhere near where the Australian team sits right now.

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
By your theory, when McGrath and Warne are avliable for selection, do we discard them both because they are old? [/B][/QUOTE]

i am not sayig cause he is old that he shouldnt be there, its a majority of things that all add up to what i am saying, if we went on age ausralia wouldnt have a f@#$ cricket side, i just think there a few bowlers that deserve a chance before casper as he seems to get more than his far share and its not as if he takes the opportunity.

overall test stats

Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100 50 W BB BowlAv 5w Ct St
17 234 25 13.00 0 0 47 7/36 37.00 2 6 0

overall odi stats

Mat Runs HS BatAv 100 50 W BB BowlAv 5w Ct St

18 62 28* 31.00 0 0 24 3/50 32.25 0 4 0

those stats are over a Test Player (1996/97 - 2000/01)
ODI Player (1995/96 - 2003/04) long time, if he has been the bowler he has been why only 17 test and 18 odi's.

Don Ricardo

bugssy said:

i am not sayig cause he is old that he shouldnt be there, its a majority of things that all add up to what i am saying, if we went on age ausralia wouldnt have a f@#$ cricket side, i just think there a few bowlers that deserve a chance before casper as he seems to get more than his far share and its not as if he takes the opportunity.

overall test stats

Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100 50 W BB BowlAv 5w Ct St
17 234 25 13.00 0 0 47 7/36 37.00 2 6 0

overall odi stats

Mat Runs HS BatAv 100 50 W BB BowlAv 5w Ct St

18 62 28* 31.00 0 0 24 3/50 32.25 0 4 0

those stats are over a Test Player (1996/97 - 2000/01)
ODI Player (1995/96 - 2003/04) long time, if he has been the bowler he has been why only 17 test and 18 odi's.
One of the reasons for his lack of tests/odis was the prescence of better bowlers that no longer play- reiffel, fleming and to some extent collin miller. At the moment, though, there are really no better options in Australian domestic cricket (11 ING wickets at 15 this season). This is an important finals series against a strong and competitive indian linup and australia's priority is to win, not to simply give less credentielled bowlers a chance for the sake of future development. Kaspers figures that you have posted are by no means spectacular, but they are solid enough. In essence that is his great strength, solidarity, and in picking him the Aussie selectors know they have a reliable back up man who will do all that is need of him.

Another thing you must realise is that Kasperwicz's international averages have been somewhat skewed due to the relatively high (for an aussie) proportion of games in indian conditions in which high scores were generally made by the batting teams, showing that conditions did not necessarily suit him.

Finally, if you have any doubts, i implore you to look through the aussie state sides and come up with a better alternative who would be able to be relied upon to do well in this given circumstance and whos current form warrants inclusion over kasper- if you can genuinely find a superior alternative i'd like to hear it.

Last edited:
The ACB selectors? I was under the impression they do not exist. Perhaps the Cricket Australia selectors, or more correctly, the NSP was intended?

Andre

International Regular
bugssy said:
And I quote...

bugssy said:
seriously why bring back Michael Kasprowicz who is 31 yrs of age, might as well bring back 1/2 the reirement village

seriously when are they going to get it right for replacements that are not dipping into there superannuation allready
Woops.

You'd better read over what you said in previous posts before changing your line of tune.

I spot a contradicition :P