• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

whats going on with acb selectors

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
161 for once out in his most recent Test - must have been doing quite a bit right...:rolleyes:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And remind me of his average?
Flaws only matter if they're getting you out cheaply.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And remind ME of how many high quality attacks he's faced in his career, and how well he's done against them...

vs Aus - 114 @ 28.5
vs Ban - 255 @ 63.75
vs Eng - 714 @ 79.33
vs Pak - 292 @ 48.66
vs SL - 88 @ 29.33
vs WI - 418 @ 69.66.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Have I ever denied that?
My point is that he punishes them better than anyone else.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Don't think he does actually - I can only think of one series he's topped the averages in thus far...

Or is it going to be the case that if it's a player you like you will ignore the fact he's only really faced one quality attack in his career?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nope - because those cases don't exist.:yawn:
Look at his career average - compare it to the those of other players around ATM. So what if he hasn't topped series averages many times?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
You mean other players who have played far more than 10% of their matches against quality attacks?

Andre

International Regular
Hmmm.

Well, last night's match has made some people look very, very silly.

Go on - eat your words - all of you :P

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The whole of getting young players into the team is to get them ready for when they are in their prime.

Several are in favour of doing this, but then when these same players reach their prime, they want them dumped for young players!!!!

Whats the point of getting young players ready for their prime, if you are goin got drop them in their prime for another young player!

If you keep doing this, you will NEVER see the best of a player. Its rediculous.

You want to blood Tait now, but when he is 28-32, and at his best, you will want to drop him for another young player. I cant think of anything else more rediculous!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Andre said:
Hmmm.

Well, last night's match has made some people look very, very silly.

Go on - eat your words - all of you :P
I'm sure I should know what you mean here, but I'm afraid I don't. :duh:
If my words would be best eaten, rest assured I will eat them.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think Andre's point was directed at those who moaned a great deal about Kasprowicz being selected.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It takes more than 1 game to prove something right\wrong!
Not, of course, that Kasprowicz's performances of his previous 3 games have had anything wrong with them, but no-one seemed to mention them...

Prince EWS said:
You want to blood Tait now, but when he is 28-32, and at his best,
Hardly. Unless Tait sorts out his action then he will be long gone by then. If he doesn't sort out his action then he is in his prime right now.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Richard said:
Have I ever denied that?
My point is that he punishes them better than anyone else.
Interestingly, you don't count it when Steve Harmison seems to punish the Bangladeshi and Zimbabwean batsmen better than anyone else...and therefore, apparently, gets boosted averages...but when Graeme Smith does the same, that counts.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not once have I said that I don't count Harmison's figures against Bangladesh.
I've just said that the fact that out of his 21 Test spells, the ratio of good:bad in terms of good batting teams and poor ones is this:
15:4 and 6:5.
Basically, out of 6 spells against bad batting teams, he's had good figures 5 times; out of 15 against good teams, he's had good figures in 4 innings.
Nothing discounted; just everything remembered.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Given that there was very little variation in the conditions in any of Harmison's Tests there isn't much to be gained by analysing every game.
Just say that almost nowhere was there any seam-movement. Given that all conditions around The World ATM tend to be like that, it's fair enough.