• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting vs. Kumar Sangakkara (ODIs)

Who was better in ODIs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BigBrother

U19 12th Man
This is being brought up a lot recently by the poster viriya.

I think I'm right in saying most objective fans will still go for Ponting despite his late career decline, given that while watching cricket it definitely felt like he had the harder end of the stick as far as rules for batting is concerned. It feels like viriya doesn't think so.

So I thought there might as well be a thread where we can debate the topic.

Last edited:

BigBrother

U19 12th Man
I was thinking about including a Nathan Lyon option instead. The guy's ODI record is ATG. Next time...

viriya

International Captain
I think I'm right in saying most objective fans will still go for Ponting despite his late career decline, given that while watching cricket it definitely felt like he had the harder end of the stick as far as rules for batting is concerned. It feels like viriya doesn't think so.
Two new balls doesn't really help a #3 who plays for SL - it just means he has to face 2 new ball bowlers in the first 5 overs. The last 10 over fielding restriction change barely affects the comparison since Sanga almost never bats at that time. The rule change difference is overdone imo - it would be more relevant if you were comparing Dhoni and Bevan or something.

Riggins

International Captain
There's not, nor has there ever been, a last 10 over fielding restriction. What are you on about?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
As an Australian I saw a lot more of Ponting. Just a brilliant ODI batsman, never let bowlers settle or get on top. That partnership with Marto one time is forever stuck in my mind, he looked invincible. Ponting's pomp of 5 or 6 years was just unbelievable.

Sanga was just a gun also. Saw a lot less of him but when I did see him he rarely failed. Exuded confidence and poise, just seemed a clip above what was going on around him. One of my fave cricketers.

In addition to being great batsmen, Sanga was a high class keeper and Ponting was in the top 5 fielders I've seen. Never seen anyone throw the stumps down as regularly as Ponting.

If this is a "vs" thing I'd have them absolute level pegging. Two of the best #3s ever and their additional skills are/were immensely important to their teams. Happy to have seen both play.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd go for Ponting, but only just. I feel Sanga missed out on a really big KO innings despite the fact that he got a fair few opportunities, I might be wrong but I don't remember many.

Red

Just out of curiosity, I statsguru-ed the #3s of ODI cricket.

Ponting and Sanga's records at #3 are near identical and they sit on top of the run getters for that position.

Ponting: avg- 42 & SR- 80

Sanga: avg- 44 & SR- 80

The other batsmen in the top 10 are:

Kallis
D.Jones
Kohli
Lara
Attapattu
Dravid
R.Richardson
Younis Khan

What struck me was Viv, who is sitting outside the ten for this, but his record at #3 is freaking unreal. Average of 57 and SR of 86. Freak of his era.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kohli has the highest average I assume. Was pretty kind of the OP to exclude Virat from the poll and let Sanga and Ponting have some glory.

Red

Kohli has the highest average I assume. Was pretty kind of the OP to exclude Virat from the poll and let Sanga and Ponting have some glory.
In the top ten yes. And an average above 50+ for guys who have made more than 1000 ODI runs at #3 is pretty rare.

Kohli
Viv
MoYo
Kane Williamson
Ganguly

Trott and Chanders both avg/d 49 at #3.

smash84

The Tiger King
Just out of curiosity, I statsguru-ed the #3s of ODI cricket.

Ponting and Sanga's records at #3 are near identical and they sit on top of the run getters for that position.

Ponting: avg- 42 & SR- 80

Sanga: avg- 44 & SR- 80

The other batsmen in the top 10 are:

Kallis
D.Jones
Kohli
Lara
Attapattu
Dravid
R.Richardson
Younis Khan

What struck me was Viv, who is sitting outside the ten for this, but his record at #3 is freaking unreal. Average of 57 and SR of 86. Freak of his era.
what is younis ****ing khan doing in that list? :blink:

viriya

International Captain
As an Australian I saw a lot more of Ponting. Just a brilliant ODI batsman, never let bowlers settle or get on top. That partnership with Marto one time is forever stuck in my mind, he looked invincible. Ponting's pomp of 5 or 6 years was just unbelievable.

Sanga was just a gun also. Saw a lot less of him but when I did see him he rarely failed. Exuded confidence and poise, just seemed a clip above what was going on around him. One of my fave cricketers.

In addition to being great batsmen, Sanga was a high class keeper and Ponting was in the top 5 fielders I've seen. Never seen anyone throw the stumps down as regularly as Ponting.

If this is a "vs" thing I'd have them absolute level pegging. Two of the best #3s ever and their additional skills are/were immensely important to their teams. Happy to have seen both play.
Yea I would've brought up Sanga's keeping but Ponting is probably the best ground fielder of the last 10 years so not much to say except that they are both top notch at their roles.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yea I would've brought up Sanga's keeping but Ponting is probably the best ground fielder of the last 10 years so not much to say except that they are both top notch at their roles.
I'd say Ponting's flat out the best fielder ever.