• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting vs. Kumar Sangakkara (ODIs)

Who was better in ODIs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

viriya

International Captain
Ponting and Lara also suffer because they didn't get to play 25 matches against Bangladesh/Zimbabwe and score 2000 runs against a **** team like Sanga, Sachin, Kallis. It's as simple as that for me.
That argument makes very little sense since Sanga averages more vs top 8 opposition than Ponting (54 vs 51), while having to face the Australian bowling attack (the best ever arguably) which Ponting never had to.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That argument makes very little sense since Sanga averages more vs top 8 opposition than Ponting, while having to face the Australian bowling attack (the best ever arguably) which Ponting never had to.
I simply said he's underrated because of his overall average of 51 which is slightly lower than the other greats simply because he played the minnows less. That's all.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting and Lara also suffer because they didn't get to play 25 matches against Bangladesh/Zimbabwe and score 2000 runs against a **** team like Sanga, Sachin, Kallis. It's as simple as that for me.
...as if the records against non-Zimbabwe/Bangladesh opponents aren't comparable at all

viriya

International Captain
amazing for only a few years which is why he averaged 60 after 100 tests
Yea because he averaged 100 in 2003, 71 in 2002 and 89 in 2006. Those are an "amazing few years". I don't think anyone would disagree that he had a Bradman-esque peak.

It's that he averaged barely above 40 for the next 60 tests of his career - never averaging 50+ in an year after 2006.

OverratedSanity

...as if the records against non-Zimbabwe/Bangladesh opponents aren't comparable at all
Which was my point wasn't it? The overall average undersells Lara and Ponting because they got fewer useless minnow bashing opportunities. Against proper teams, it's pretty amazing how similar all their records are. There's virtually no difference.

viriya

International Captain
Which was my point wasn't it? The overall average undersells Lara and Ponting because they got fewer useless minnow bashing opportunities. Against proper teams, it's pretty amazing how similar all their records are. There's virtually no difference.
Against common top 8 opposition (no Aus or SL), Sanga averages 55, Ponting averages 51.5. I wouldn't say "there's virtually no difference" there.

I also disagree that minnow runs are "useless" - there are players who fail vs minnows - it shouldn't be considered a good thing. Doing well vs minnows should be expected. In the Murali vs Warne argument the Bangladesh games are brought up - ignoring the fact that Warne was pretty meh vs Ban when he actually bowled to them.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Removing Aus and SL. So convenient to your argument. Classic viriya :laugh:

Actually it's not funny, that was dumb.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Fair enough, if that was your point. But your original post sounded like 'Ponting and Lara are better because Tendulkar, Sanga and Kallis scored 2000 runs against minnows.'

For me, Tendulkar wins this fairly comfortably because of his longevity. Second place is debatable imo (but I'll have Lara). Also don't forget Waugh and Dravid.

viriya

International Captain
Removing Aus and SL. So convenient to your argument. Classic viriya :laugh:

Actually it's not funny, that was dumb.
That would be a fair comparison. Even with Aus and SL in, its ~54 vs 51 so not sure what you're trying to imply. "Ponting didn't play as much vs minnows" is not an argument when his record minus minnows is not better. It's that simple.

OverratedSanity

I'm implying he and Lara didn't play Bangladesh and Zimbabwe much and didn't get to plump their averages as much as Sachin, kallis and Sanga, Nothing complicated in what I've saying.

Unfortunately you're getting defensive and insinuating that I said bashing minnows is a bad thing.

OverratedSanity

Fair enough, if that was your point. But your original post sounded like 'Ponting and Lara are better because Tendulkar, Sanga and Kallis scored 2000 runs against minnows.
No my original post didn't sound like that. That's absurd. You'd have to be a stupider than Ishant Sharma giving death bowling instructions at a bowling camp if you got that from the post.

Last edited:

viriya

International Captain
I'm implying he and Lara didn't play Bangladesh and Zimbabwe much and didn't get to plump their averages as much as Sachin, kallis and Sanga, Nothing complicated in what I've saying.

Unfortunately you're getting defensive and insinuating that I said bashing minnows is a bad thing.
When you say they didn't get to "plump their averages bashing minnows", you are discounting the records of those who did well vs minnows while ignoring the fact that their records are still better minus-minnows.

For completion's sake, the averages minus-Ban+Zim:
Sanga: 54
Kallis: 53
Lara: 52.5
Ponting: 51
Sachin: 51

Your argument only applies to Sachin.

OverratedSanity

Do you understand what underselling means? Please, tell me.

As I've said repeatedly, regardless of who I think is better, the pure average for Ponting and Lara undersells their ability compared to the pure averages of others who bashed Bang/Zim. I didn't even say who's better. But the fact that the difference between Ponting, Lara vs the rest in terms of purely the average is exaggerated by minnows is just that.... a fact. Was that simple enough for you?

viriya

International Captain
As I've said repeatedly, regardless of who I think is better, the pure average for Ponting and Lara undersells their ability compared to the pure averages of others who bashed Bang/Zim. I didn't even say who's better. But the fact that the difference between Ponting, Lara vs the rest in terms of purely the average is exaggerated by minnows is just that.... a fact. Was that simple enough for you?
You did insinuate that this minnow bashing fact was enough for you: "It's as simple as that for me."

Nice that now you're trying to act like you just said it without implying it meant one player was better than the other.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
No brainer, it's Ponting. Sanga had an unbel,ievable three years in ODIs, and that's what it is all about. Ponting did it for a decade. Sanga vs Ponting in test matches is a much closer comparison.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Anyone who doesn't rank the Tendulkar Era batsmen Tendulkar-Lara-Ponting is frankly bonkers.

I will seriously consider Sangakkara for a place in the top 3 but I feel that he will fall just short because I don't think he quite has a really, really great, memorable innings like the other 3 - and I'm quite happy to concede that that's possibly as a result of an unconscious bias on my part that doesn't quite rate cricket played by Sri Lanka as highly.

But anyway, he runs them close. Dravid quite comfortably rounds out the top 5 IMO.

OverratedSanity

You did insinuate that this minnow bashing fact was enough for you: "It's as simple as that for me."

Nice that now you're trying to act like you just said it without implying it meant one player was better than the other.
Ha, ridiculous. There was no insinuation. If you want to twist my words which quite plainly stated just one thing: that Lara and Ponting bashed minnows less and thus didn't get enough opportunities to pump their averages, then go on, it's pretty entertaining.

And how in the **** does "It's as simple as that" = "Ponting>Sanga". :huh: