• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting vs. Kumar Sangakkara (ODIs)

Who was better in ODIs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Jonty revolutionized fielding, he was a shot stopper and a hawk in hunting. He was more athletic and had lightning speed. I would rather watch Jonty purely from entertainment value. He used to throw the ball half diving. But Ponting was a better all round fielder probably. His throws at the stumps were out of the world.

Spark

Global Moderator
There was nothing Ponting did in the field that wasn't top-tier ATG standard. No one else I can think of who was so absurdly good at literally everything related to fielding.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
From what I saw right before he played ODIs, possibly a better keper than Sanga too. :ph34r:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Clarke was pretty damn good in his younger days. Clarke-Ponting-Symonds was a great offside ring.

Daemon

****s sake, I have a presentation tomorrow that I haven't even created the first slide for and I've just spent 20 minutes watching Ponting run people out

well worth it ftr

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Clarke was pretty damn good in his younger days. Clarke-Ponting-Symonds was a great offside ring.
Yea for all the talks of McGrath owning ODI opening batsmen, I think he owes a lot to these guys for creating the pressure with brilliant ground-fielding...

Antihippy

International Debutant
Our current ODI fielding side is actually pretty gun too. Warner is dynamite both at the in-field and out-field, smith similar except that he's great at slips as well, and maxwell is nearly ponting-esque.

Spark

Global Moderator
ponting is going to be one of the most underrated test batsman of the last fifty years in ten years' time. can absolutely guarantee that stupids will look at his average out of context and not realise how immense he was for 100+ tests, in ways that numbers don't quite capture (unless you're really careful and methodical, i.e. looking at conversion rates, first test hundreds etc etc), and grouping that together with the last part of his career when it was clear to all and sundry that he was past his peak, but the team still needed him.

OverratedSanity

Ponting and Lara also suffer because they didn't get to play 25 matches against Bangladesh/Zimbabwe and score 2000 runs against a **** team like Sanga, Sachin, Kallis. It's as simple as that for me.