• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting vs. Kumar Sangakkara (ODIs)

Who was better in ODIs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

a massive zebra

International Captain
I'd say Ponting's flat out the best fielder ever.
I'm never too keen when people are labelled the "best ever" by someone who only considers players they have seen. Just because you haven't seen anyone better doesn't mean there hasn't been any better.

I think the thing that truly separates him from other fielders was how often he hit the stumps. It was freaky how many direct hit runout he affected.
Colin Bland was arguably even better at hitting the stumps than Ponting, but you didn't consider him as you haven't seen him.

Ponting was brilliant everywhere. So was Mark Waugh, come to that.
Again you are only considering players you have seen. So were Gilbert Jessop, Learie Constantine, Derek Randall and Roger Harper.

Purely as a run saver, Jonty.
Jonty wasn't purely a run saver. He took plenty of phenomenal catches as well. But yes, Ponting was certainly in a different league with regard to hitting the stumps.

Props also to Bobby Simpson, Wally Hammond and Mark Waugh in the slips.

Last edited:

a massive zebra

International Captain
How many teams in history have had a spinner near the caliber of Murali? Only one, Warne.

Ok, O'Reilly too, but that's literally it.
Perhaps also England in the second half of the 1950s with Jim Laker. But the three you mentioned certainly maintained that level for a lot longer.

a massive zebra

International Captain
As one day batsmen, in terms of calibre and impact, I can't split them. Ponting was considerably better in the middle of his career but Sangakarra ended his career far more strongly. So I chose Sangakarra for purely stylistic reasons. Much more aesthetically pleasing to watch, IMO.