• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cuan McCarthy - Guilty or Not Guilty?

Debris

International 12th Man
Standards are different. Half the finger spinners going round now would have been no-balled into oblivion back in the 50s.

Midwinter

State Captain
Thanks for the article it is a very good to read.

But there seems to be a trend here.

Geoffrey Griffin, Charlie Griffith and now McCarthy are regarded by the author as being hard done by.

Are they exceptions or does the author regard the umpires interpretation of the laws at the time as incorrect?

Does he regard Meckiff, Rorke, Lock etc as similiarly hard done by ?

A possible future article on the whole chucking episode back then perhaps ?

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm as against illegal bowling as the next man, and Griffith and Griffin (who is my next subject) certainly seem to me to have thrown and likewise Tony Lock. Locky was a different case of course as he was a slow bowler and, at the end and beginning of his career had an action that was as fair as it was undoubtedly unfair in the middle, and he accepted that.

Griffin was treated absolutely appallingly in my opinion. We live in a more enlightened world now, but that was still no excuse to subject the post war suspects to the witch hunts that the ridiculously worded law allowed (a point I made in the piece about Harold Rhodes) and the inconsistency offends my sense of justice too - one or two of the old school umpires were undoubtedly ****s of the highest order

I'm still cogitating about doing another piece to sum up after Griffin and Lock - I would like to but to do so I'd like to get hold of the names who were on the list of suspects but who were never actually called - Peter Loader must have been one, but there were others too. One day I'll have the time to camp out in the Lord's library for a few days, and it may have to wait until then!

Midwinter

State Captain
Thanks for responding. (I probably meant Rhodes instead of Griffin).

It was an interesting time, especially as there is the current crackdown on suspect actions.
There was also the crackdown mandated by the authorities in the early 1890's or was it the 1900's.

Look forward to seeing the trophies from your Lord's hunting trips. :)

Last edited: