Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Who are the biggest hitters in the game?

School Boy/Girl Captain

Who are the biggest hitters in the game?

With sixes galore this World Cup, me and a friend got round to discussing the biggest hitters we've seen in the game over the last 15 years or so. There were guys like Viv Richards, Lance Cairns but they were just before our time and therefore not included. We are talking about players who hit a very long ball as opposed to just a frequent six hitter.

Justin Kemp
    Chris Cairns
    Kieron Pollard
    Chris Gayle
    Travis Birt
    Andre Russell
    Martin Guptill
    Jacob Oram
    Yusuf Pathan
    Shahid Afridi
    Andrew Symonds
    Albie Morkel
    Mitchell Marsh
    Andrew Flintoff
    Brett Lee
    Shane Lee
    Alex Hales
    Craig McMillan
    Tom Moody
    Brendon Julian

These are just some that come to mind now, there are others. There are also some that hit quite a lot of sixes but are not necessarily very long hitters. Dhoni is such a player.

Then there are guys like Matthew Hayden and Lance Klusener who not necessarily hit many sixes but were incredibly fierce hitters of fours.
    Last edited by Cric123; 02-04-2015 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cric123 View Post
    There are also some that hit quite a lot of sixes but are not necessarily very long hitters. Dhoni is such a player.
    Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    Lol.
    Don't say that, it gives us an excuse to repost this

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Moores
    We thought 275 was chaseable. We'll have to look at the data.
    forever 63*

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    No Glenn Maxwell in that list?
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

International Debutant
    Maxwell can hit big but I don't really think he's the biggest hitter. He's more of a player who creates absurd angles to pick gaps through or over the infield.

Chris Lynn and ben cutting are pretty monstrous hitters.

cpr
    Geoffrey Boycott
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Hall of Fame Member
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Yuvraj has hit some pretty huge ones

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Don't say that, it gives us an excuse to repost this

Gob
    watto
    BigBrother likes this.

State Vice-Captain
    Darren Sammy.
    BigBrother likes this.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    My list wasn't supposed to be strictly just these, they were ones that I could think of at the time of writing. I have seen James Faulkner hit a few big sixes (the 105m and 110m back to back sixes against England last year come to mind) but I would still put him and Doni a tier below the guys I mentioned in the first post. Yes, Watson, Sammy and Cutting are big hitters, particularly Cutting and Sammy. Unlike Watson, they are not as correct a player and therefore probably have the license to hit as big as they can.

I think Jason Holder is going to hit some mammoth sixes in years to come. He hit some big sixes in the World Cup without putting much behind those hits.
    Last edited by Cric123; 02-04-2015 at 12:07 PM.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Albert Trott

Not sure about the biggest hitter (which is probably Shahid Afridi), but I'll nominate Brett Lee's 6 at the Gabba in in 2005 against the West Indies as the longest recorded 6 ever - 143 metres.

The biggest six ever recorded? | cricket.com.au

Feel free to find a longer recorded 6 if you can.
    Last edited by watson; 02-04-2015 at 06:54 PM.
    FAVOURITE: 1. Barry Richards - 2. Victor Trumper - 3. Rohan Kanhai - 4. Brian Lara - 5. Garry Sobers - 6. Frank Woolley - 7. Alan Knott - 8. Maurice Tate - 9. Dennis Lillee - 10. Sydney Barnes - 11. Colin 'Charlie' Blythe

First Class Debutant TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Lol Shane Lee and Brendon Julian on that list

I'm pretty sure that James Franklin was reputedly the biggest hitter in the NZ side even ahead of Oram. Glenn Turner also said Chris Harris hit a longer ball than Chris Cairns. In the current NZ side Corey Anderson comes to mind.

Graeme Hick hit a pretty big ball from memory. Clive Lloyd going back outside the 15 year timeframe reputedly hit one of the biggest ever sixes. Lloyd had a massive bat and had several grips on on the handle:

Lloyd's first century that year was against Surrey at the Oval when he scored 109 not out in 146 minutes and contained the biggest hit I have ever seen. The pitch had been laid towards the gasometers and Lloyd was at the Vauxhall end facing Robin Jackman who dropped one short. Jackman later claimed he had slipped, Lloyd said it was an attempted bouncer, but whatever it was Lloyd hooked it over the traffic in Harleyford Road and into the grounds alongside Archbishop Tenison School. David Lloyd, then Lancashire's captain, recalled,the shot in Clive Lloyd's testimonial brochure in 1977 - ``all of 140 yards (I measured it)'' he declared. A few minutes after the shot I went to the point where the ball had departed the ground and where one spectator was still in raptures about it. "I thought at first it was going to land in the seats," he said. "Then I thought it might hit me, but it just kept on going, over my head." He maintained the ball had cleared Harleyford Road and landed on the lawn between the school and Stoddart House. Some years later I asked the Oval groundsman, Harry Brind, about it. He had no doubts about it being the biggest hit at the ground in his years there and estimated it at 150 yards "easy" he said. From the wicket to the edge of the grass, he said, was 95 yards. "Work it out for yourself," he said. I did and reckoned another 40 yards to the railings on the other side of Harleyford Road and as it landed well beyond there, it seemed that 150 yards was about right, which must make it one of the longest hits ever. Certainly, of those I have asked who witnessed it, none has seen anything bigger. Clive himself rates it his biggest hit. "You know when you've hit a ball right from the moment it leaves the bat," he said. "I knew I'd got that one but even so I was surprised at the distance it went."
    | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo
    watson likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information