• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Another Honest Mistake, Another Australian :)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Of Course it was not pre-meditated, and as usual an honest mistake. Even Ponting who wasn't even in the game knew that Martyn didn't mean it. Really great example of sportsmanship by him.
Dont worry - We all trust you, ICC trusts you, just like we trusted warnie when he slept with 'shiela' or when he was offered dollars for offering weather indormation in India, or banned for taking drugs. It was all honest mistake.
Way to go.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Martyn warned over gesture

Damien Martyn has been reprimanded by Australia captain Ricky Ponting for raising his middle finger at a cameraman in Melbourne.
Martyn, who is under pressure following a run of low scores, made the gesture leaving the team hotel on Friday.

Cricket Australia authorities viewed footage of the incident and were satisfied the matter should be handled within the team.

Ponting said: ""I acknowledge he didn't mean to cause offence."

He added: "But his action was inappropriate and not fitting of an Australian player and ambassador for the game."

Martyn, who had arrested his poor form with a quickfire 42 against Zimbabwe the day before, was repentant.

"I am sorry for the offence caused by the gesture and apologise to the public who have seen it on TV," he said.

"My action was in no way pre-meditated, nor did I did I mean for it to cause any harm."

Vice-captain Adam Gilchrist gave Martyn his backing.

"He seems in pretty good spirits and I do know he got a pretty well compiled 40 the other day at about a run a ball and that will improve his spirits," Gilchrist said.

"There is no doubt that he has had a lot of focus on him and nobody likes that intense scrutiny."

Martyn is averaging 17 in the VB Series with scores of 0, 21, 47 not out, 1, 0, 9, 42 and 2.

He failed again on Sunday at his home ground in Perth despite Australia beating India by five wickets.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/3447535.stm

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
a stupid act and a stupid amount of attention is being placed on it, leave the poor guy alone...

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Sanz said:
Of Course it was not pre-meditated, and as usual an honest mistake. Even Ponting who wasn't even in the game knew that Martyn didn't mean it. Really great example of sportsmanship by him.
Dont worry - We all trust you, ICC trusts you, just like we trusted warnie when he slept with 'shiela' or when he was offered dollars for offering weather indormation in India, or banned for taking drugs. It was all honest mistake.
Way to go.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Martyn warned over gesture

Damien Martyn has been reprimanded by Australia captain Ricky Ponting for raising his middle finger at a cameraman in Melbourne.
Martyn, who is under pressure following a run of low scores, made the gesture leaving the team hotel on Friday.

Cricket Australia authorities viewed footage of the incident and were satisfied the matter should be handled within the team.

Ponting said: ""I acknowledge he didn't mean to cause offence."

He added: "But his action was inappropriate and not fitting of an Australian player and ambassador for the game."

Martyn, who had arrested his poor form with a quickfire 42 against Zimbabwe the day before, was repentant.

"I am sorry for the offence caused by the gesture and apologise to the public who have seen it on TV," he said.

"My action was in no way pre-meditated, nor did I did I mean for it to cause any harm."

Vice-captain Adam Gilchrist gave Martyn his backing.

"He seems in pretty good spirits and I do know he got a pretty well compiled 40 the other day at about a run a ball and that will improve his spirits," Gilchrist said.

"There is no doubt that he has had a lot of focus on him and nobody likes that intense scrutiny."

Martyn is averaging 17 in the VB Series with scores of 0, 21, 47 not out, 1, 0, 9, 42 and 2.

He failed again on Sunday at his home ground in Perth despite Australia beating India by five wickets.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/3447535.stm

Uh Oh....That's not gonna go down very well here especially with Linda.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
Way to go.

i dont like the tine of this bit at all either - i dunno about others but i find it a little offensive and its definatley unneccessary.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Pah, heat of the moment stuff, leave him alone...

Im sure him sticking his middle finger up didnt greatly offend anyone, get real whoever is doing the nitpicking...

Slow Love™

International Captain
Sanz said:
Way to go.
It was a stupid thing to do, and from what I read, Ponting dismissed it as inappropriate and stupid. That sounds pretty accurate to me, how would you have him describe it? It certainly wasn't described as an "honest mistake".

And what do you mean by "we all trust you, ICC trusts you"? Who is the "you" you're talking about?

Slow Love™

International Captain
Jono said:
It's kind of obvious what he's getting at if you read between the lines.
Is he talking about the Australian players? The Australian people, collectively?

Frankly, I think it's too incoherent to read between the lines as anything other than conspiracist bullcrap, because I don't see how it's relatable to the other incidents he mentions it in context with. Honestly, to me it seems like a ludicrous, prejudicial lot of nonsense (I can't actually see what the Alon woman, if that's what he means by "shiela" has to do with anything either).

Perhaps you can explain it to me, because I don't have the slightest idea what there is not to "trust" about the reaction to Martyn's gesture. Maybe I missed something.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Re: Re: Another Honest Mistake, Another Australian :)

age_master said:
i dont like the tone of this bit at all either - i dunno about others but i find it a little offensive and its definatley unneccessary.
Agreed. And you forgot to mention, highly stupid.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Re: Re: Re: Another Honest Mistake, Another Australian :)

Slow Love™ said:
Agreed. And you forgot to mention, highly stupid.
very stupid.....the inference clearly is that the Australian cricket team are dishonest, or cheats - though how this relates to Martyn's finger gesture I'm not sure.
By way of comparison.......
How many Aussies have been caught for say........ball tampering in the last 20 years or so?

Slow Love™

International Captain
Kenny said:
very stupid.....the inference clearly is that the Australian cricket team are dishonest, or cheats - though how this relates to Martyn's finger gesture I'm not sure.
How many Aussies have been caught for say........ball tampering in the last 20 years or so?
To be fair though, I don't think we have to go there. 'Cause Ponting's allusion to that pi$$ed me off as much as Sanz's clumsy inferences.

I just don't see the context with the Martyn incident. Yes, I get what he's referring to with Warne and the weather report. The ACB covered that up. As to Warne and the drugs, you could argue that the ACB was too lenient.

So far as the Alon woman goes, she was a nut looking for fame, and was charged with extortion by the South African police. I don't see how the ACB needs to have a stand on that, one way or another, and frankly, I don't know that Warne has to answer to "us" for that in the slightest.

Then there's Martyn's gesture - I have no idea how that fits into any of this. Are the nefarious motives behind him flipping the bird being covered up by the aussie cricket establishment and the press that kowtows to them, or worse still, MARTYN HIMSELF AND THE ENTIRE AUSTRALIAN TEAM? God help us, we need the truth on this, and fast. Or Sanz's (and the ICC's) trust will forever be lost.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Another Honest Mistake, Another Australian :)

Kenny said:
Well How many times have we seen an Indian player using an Aluminium bat in an international game ? How many times have we seen an International Spinner taking 400 wickets with the help of Drugs ?

I am not even talking about claiming dropped catches of Lara and Dravid and then abusing the umpire after being given not out, or bowling underarm.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Another Honest Mistake, Another Australian :)

Sanz said:
How many times have we seen an International Spinner taking 400 wickets with the help of Drugs ?
Now that is almost the most stupid comment you have made - but it has lots of competition. What an absolute dill.

BTW, Slater caught Dravid - cleanly. He was out. Should have walked, but what would you expect from a ball tamperer? :lol:

(That was a 'Sanz - like' comment, wasn't it?)

Deja moo

International Captain
BTW, Slater caught Dravid - cleanly. He was out. Should have walked, but what would you expect from a ball tamperer?
Note to cricket web staff.......Put forward request to appoint Kenny as the official Cricketweb 3rd umpire, seeing that he's doing so better a job than the actual umpires ....:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

V Reddy

International Debutant
I think Sanz was having a go at the Aussies who said Ganguly was a cheat b'coz of Slow over rate :lol: and for calling Dravid a cheat but it doesn't go down well with the Aussies :D and especially Linda for quoting Martyn's example :D

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Another Honest Mistake, Another Australian :)

Kenny said:
BTW, Slater caught Dravid - cleanly. He was out. Should have walked, but what would you expect from a ball tamperer? :lol:

(That was a 'Sanz - like' comment, wasn't it?)
That's why we have archives and third Umpires :-

http://statserver.cricket.org/link_...RDS/AUS_IND_T1_27FEB-03MAR2001_BBB-COMMS.html

53.3 Fleming to Dravid, no run, short ball, pulls it, Slater dives
forward and takes it off the bounce and claims to have caught it,
goes to the 3rd umpire and decided not out

:lol: :lol:

Now we all know who was a Cheat. Slater is such a :saint: :lol:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Or may be in Australia they consider 'off bounce' catches as clean. I have heard they also consider HBW(head before wicket) as LBW.:lol:

Andre

International Regular
age_master said:
a stupid act and a stupid amount of attention is being placed on it, leave the poor guy alone...
Spot on. It's a nothing issue and it's really very sad that so much attention is being paid to it.

Andre

International Regular
Sanz said:
Or may be in Australia they consider 'off bounce' catches as clean. I have heard they also consider HBW(head before wicket) as LBW.:lol:
So does the rules.

Any part of the body apart from the hands can be hit infront of the stumps and given out.

It's just more common that it hits the pad, hence the term LBW.

Don Ricardo

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Anyone who thinks that tendulkar was unfairly given out lbw due to the fact the ball hit him on the head has no idea about the rules of cricket. The only questionable issue was the height, but the side on shot showed that the ball hit tendulkar no higher than bail height and was actually on its way down- the replays and freeze frames prove that the umps decision was correct.