Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Are the Aussies getting back to the attitude era?

International Regular CricAddict's Avatar

Are the Aussies getting back to the attitude era?

Are the Aussies getting back to their attitude era of 1990s where they dominated and crushed every single opponent? Or is this WC win a flash in the pan and teams will continue to equally compete like the last few years?

International Debutant
    In all formats? Our batting is still fragile as **** in tests and as much as I like lyon, he's no warne.

Same goes for ODIs really.

Gob
    what's the format?think they'll dominate the lo stuff cos there's so much fire power with the bat and the ball . as far as test cricket goes (which is of course what matters), they've certainly got a problem playing in the subcontinent. needs to fix that some how.

I think any respectable Aussie fan knows that the WC win hardly means they are back to dominating cricket, especially in tests. Not even at home tbh, although some pitches where their bowlers have a little bit to work with might help with that.

In ODI's, it's about winning internationally now. If Starc continues bowling crazy like this I don't see how they won't though. They pushed India in India to 3-2 and Starc wasn't a part of it...
    Last edited by BigBrother; 31-03-2015 at 09:54 PM.

International Debutant
    Actually do think our ODI team is comfortably better than our test team. Clean swept pakistan in the UAE too. Didn't to too hot against south africa in zimbabwe though.

International Regular CricAddict's Avatar
    Yes, I was speaking overall. In ODIs, they threaten to dominate one and all with 15 or so players in their team of XI counting the allrounders. In tests, they just won India easily with Lyon playing a good part, TPC is slowly becoming a second Ponting in terms of consistency and with Starc at his notorious best (Yes, its in ODIs but I feel he will translate this to tests as well), the fast bowling unit also has a good making of an ATG one.

I personally would like the current trend to continue where 4-5 teams have equal chance every time they face off instead of the throwback to my childhood days of a single team domination.

U19 12th Man
    The current test team isn't a dominant one, but when you look at the talent coming up from underneath, the ODI result may the harbinger of something bigger.

I think a barometer is the spin depth. There's suddenly a fleet of young spinners, all "good enough" to become better players than Lyon if things go well for them. A couple of them have higher ceilings than that too.

There's genuine talent in the latest crop of batsmen, though their numbers are in flux as their games assemble (lots of good bowlers testing them at the moment too). There's also Jake Doran and Sam Whiteman with the gloves. The quicks are stupidly stacked.

There is evidence of an upturn. But dominance? We'll have a better idea if we're standing here in a season or two and they haven't lost a series.
    Last edited by 3703; 01-04-2015 at 12:00 AM.

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    It's the batting that will stop them from dominating imo.

Smith is unstoppable, Warner is excellent and Clarke when he's fit is Clarke. Now those three may be enough with contributions by others, but to be a dominating side they need a couple more to be more dependable.

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Well for that they'll need a bald beer drinking sob who's a right wanker.

Oh wait

Jono and CricAddict like this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    It's the batting that will stop them from dominating imo.

Smith is unstoppable, Warner is excellent and Clarke when he's fit is Clarke. Now those three may be enough with contributions by others, but to be a dominating side they need a couple more to be more dependable.
    Yeah and Clarke's career is almost done anyway.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Yeah the batting has serious questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT
    [Zorax on Burgey]
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Wish I could articulate myself all over your face tbh
    And they say romance is dead.

Even the world cup win was strange. Despite only having one close game (the loss to NZ), the aren't a lot of guys who had a "good" WC.

Smith, Starc and Maxwell were huge... Everyone else was just okayish.

I dont think so.

As i've said before,apart from 1-2 players,like most of the team are poor players of spin unlike the great Australian team of the 90's and early 00's.So this is likely to bear an effect in both tests and the shorter versions(albeit to a lesser extent).

And as mentioned,they dont have a 'top' frontline spinner in their squad too.

Having said that,they'll continue to be the premium team in ODI's purely because of the competivity/quality of other teams.NZ only now have had some success,but they're going to be tested in different conditions.India and SA are flat track bullies especially the former.The rest are unconvincing.
    So you look around the rest of the teams and think Australia would be able to overcome most of the teams maybe not in a dominating fashion this time round.
    Last edited by SkyBlue; 01-04-2015 at 02:52 AM.

Hall of Fame Member TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Valer View Post
    Even the world cup win was strange. Despite only having one close game (the loss to NZ), the aren't a lot of guys who had a "good" WC.

Smith, Starc and Maxwell were huge... Everyone else was just okayish.
    This is true, but when you take into account the washout v Bangladesh, a truncated match v Scotland and a few small chases toward the end of the tournament you could see that some of the batsmen could easily have had better tournaments, at least statistically.
    BigBrother likes this.

International Coach wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    They're a bloody good side, but they don't have the kind of stupid consistency ala McGrath and Warne to be dominant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Neesham
    Root always sets up the innings well. It's nice having BJ down the order to finish the innings off.
    Exit pursuing a beer

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information