• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Daniel Vettori Retires from Internationals

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
BBC Sport - New Zealand's Daniel Vettori retires from international cricket

Not a surprise in any way, but it's time to pay tribute to this legend of the New Zealand game. Much maligned in his latter years for his supposed inability to spin the ball, but what he lacked in turn he made up for in guile. His variations of release and angle were enough to bemuse the foolhardy. His early years, before a number of injuries took their toll are often forgotten but what should not be forgotten is his ability to work hard to become what the New Zealand team most needed at the time. Need a batsman? Don't worry, I can do that - said Vettori. Need a coach for a while? Don't worry, I can do that - said Vettori. Need a man to do the business whilst nursing a crippled arrrr-chilles, then Don't worry, I can do that too.

The mild-mannered Vettori had his moments of fire - most notably after an ODI versus England where Grant Elliott was controversially run out after a collision with Ryan Sidebottom.

This man, this beautiful bespectacled adonis, will be remembered fondly up and down New Zealand. He'll continue to be criticised in years to come by those who never saw him or were unaware of his contribution to New Zealand cricket.

He doesn't sail in to the sunset on the World Cup winning high that he would have wanted, but - 'Old Man' (not 'Old Man River', btw) - enjoy your retirement. I hope you find a way to keep contributing to New Zealand cricket. There goes a legend of the game, remember him well - for we were there to see him play.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
One of my cricketing idols growing up, even though I didn't bowl spill. Seemed so out of place on a cricket field in some respects, couldn't help but like him.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach

had a bit of fizz in his early days, not to mention locks that'd make prince charming jealous.

P.S costarring heef

Last edited:

thierry henry

International Coach
So stoked that unlike with Sobers, 30 years from now I'll be able to tell people "yes his test match bowling stats suck, and yes I saw him bowl for real and he actually did suck at least that much".

:D:D:D

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
I've got loads of time for Dan Vertori, he's played some great matches, and I enjoyed watching or listening to them.
Good man of NZ

jcas0167

International Debutant
I was always intrigued by Vettori because he was the first guy my age and year group at school to play for New Zealand. Someone like me, who would have also just been a kid when really grown up NZ cricketers like Hadlee, Smith, Coney Chatfield & Crowe were mainstays of the team. It was slightly bizarre thinking someone my age was now joining that team and playing against the likes of Atherton, Stewart & Tufnell. I knew that he had batted at number 3 for St Pauls, so it was fascinating to see how he'd go against Gough & Caddick.

He always impressed as someone who was very calm and looked the part at international level. I think John Bracewell said after the youth tour in 96 that when he grew up he wanted to be like Vettori.

It was disappointing that back injuries reduced his attacking effectiveness, when he started I thought he might threaten Hadlee's wicket tally. Still, he was a very effective test all-rounder and captain. His limited overs record is superb. I admit I was skeptical about him returning for this World Cup, but his performances were again world class. He'll be sorely missed, but I'm sure will now make his mark as a coach too.

Peter Roebuck had an excellent article about him when he lead NZ to the Champions Trophy final in 2009.

Vettori played his part in the containment. Try as they might, the batsmen could not get hold of him. With the ball he resembles the Scarlet Pimpernel. They seek him here, they seek him there, they seek the confounded fellow everywhere but they cannot pin him down. Evidently the game has not changed half as much as modernists imagine. Skill is still paramount. And skill, craftsmanship, has a beauty of its own. With Vettori it's not the delivery itself that takes the wicket, it's the company it keeps. He resembles a spider weaving a web. Opponents are not so much destroyed as trapped. Assisted by an innocent look, he sends down apparently innocent deliveries that possess the capacity to mislead. His changes of pace continue to elude experienced players. Steve Waugh could not make head nor tail of him…

Vettori does not waste time thinking about his limitations, concentrates instead on making the most of the ability he has at his disposal. And he brings the same outlook to his captaincy. Nor is uplifting his team his only contribution. Amid all the trials and tribulations, the comings and goings and the disappointments, Vettori and his side retained their sportsmanship. The ICC award was well deserved and ought not to be lightly regarded. Vettori has not merely served New Zealand cricket with distinction, he has treated the game itself with unwavering respect.
Peter Roebuck on Daniel Vettori | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I must have been thirteen when, of all people, my cricket-agnostic Mum told me there was an article in North & South about a kid a few years older from our area (ish) who was a prodigious spin bowler. I didn't read it. Must have been not long after, because the magazine was still lying around the house when the NZ team for the next test series was named with said prodigious spin bowling talent included. My real cricket obsession kicked in in the following years and Daniel Vettori has been a constant. I can't believe he's going. I can't believe it's been so long either. Farewell Dan Vettori.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I remember seeing a photo of his during his first test series in The Sportstar magazine which I used to read ardently at the time. There was some thing about his face which sticks with you. It's not just endearing or mellow. It is a face which just seems like it would rather just go and not show itself. As if it could break into a thousand pieces any moment at the whiff of air or the slightest sun light. He would jog towards the batsman, test him with his variation, test him some more, take some wickets, and make his contributions without crying out loud about his talent. His talent spoke for itself, as is evident from 361 test wickets, 20 five wicket hauls and 300 plus ODI wickets.

Thanks for the memories.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Vettori deserves praise for holding NZ cricket together. Imagine how dire our fortunes would have been in all formats if he wasn't there to save us from humiliation time and time again.