• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Daniel Vettori Retires from Internationals

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Vettori deserves praise for holding NZ cricket together. Imagine how dire our fortunes would have been in all formats if he wasn't there to save us from humiliation time and time again.
I was thinking about this. He kept holding the team together and when it was ready to blossom, he has bid adieu. Perfect timing in this regard and has a loveliness about it.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Great memories of all the lefties in our team having a Daniel Vettori challenge in the nets.

Greenlite

U19 Debutant
Growing up in Taiwan, a baseball nation, we moved to NZ in 1996/1997, cricket was the only sport me and dad can relate to. Daniel Vettori is the stand-out as he's a skinny, nerdy, down to earth kid with glasses, possibly the only international cricketer wearing glasses in the last 2 decades.

He injured himself seriously playing for ND after diving in the boundary, his career in trouble, then he made his return, and batted with Chris Harris time after time to save the game in the 97/98 VB series when our top/middle order was useless. Must be all the batting practice he got in the middle with Harry, Dan became an awesome batsman, scoring a ton for ND, then scoring his maiden test century shortly after.

He became the new Harry, cutting and pulling in the mid-2000s and helping NZ competing, even beating AUS in the Chappel-Hadlee series chasing 340+ total in consecutive games. His bowling became so good that every time I watch him play, he gets Andrew Symonds and Damien Martin out for lbw in consecutive overs and threathen the Aussies. While the media was mocking the Black Caps, their consensus was Dan would be the only player good enough to play for AUS. Indeed, he got picked for the World XI against AUS, and he put on a MVP performance for them, while the other superstars just took the pay cheque and gave a half-hearted performance.

Then I stopped watching cricket, but I know he took over from Fleming, his side was horrible in Bangladesh but he took NZ to the semi-finals in 2011 WC. Now he returned with his class against SL in the opening game to halt their chase, stopped the flow of AUS runs at Eden Park, took his 300th wicket, grabbed a memorable one handed catch in the quarter finals, and gave us one last look at his special cut through gully to set up Elliot for the semi-final win.

Daniel Vettori is the sportsman I grow up watching, and his retirement makes me realize we cannot take these icons for granted. He showed with determination, one's career can be glorious and memorable, and current, upcoming players and kids should look up to his career, and appreciate their opportunities and make the most of it, and us fans should cherish good hard working team and individual we've got, support them if we can, and give our lives a best shot and provide great memories for our family and our love ones.

Thank you Daniel Vettori, and I look forward to seeing you coaching our national side one day.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Growing up in Taiwan, a baseball nation, we moved to NZ in 1996/1997, cricket was the only sport me and dad can relate to. Daniel Vettori is the stand-out as he's a skinny, nerdy, down to earth kid with glasses, possibly the only international cricketer wearing glasses in the last 2 decades.
Rogers wears them on the field but not while batting iirc

viriya

International Captain
Only Garry Sobers and Ian Botham had more matches (7 vs 5) with a 100 run + 5 wicket match aggregate than Vettori.

Shakib will blow past all of them though - he's already at 5 after 37 Tests.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
A decent cricketer who has been the spearhead for NZ in terms of the spin attack and is a reasonable bat too. I am sure that he will become a good coach and impart his knowledge on the future spinners of NZ. good luck to him..

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks for the memories - a true NZ great (amazing to think he averaged mid 40s for several years). It is a shame that injury stopped him joining Kapil in the 4000-400 club

Flem274*

123/5
If the team he skippered followed his determination to succeed in everything they did, they would have conquered the world.

Formerly a gun young spinner who could bat a bit, he developed into the worlds' most misused batting allrounder and an astute captain and even a captain/coach.

People really don't realise just how good he was at batting though. He went from being a cut shot whore to a complete batsman with #shotsoffbothfeet and on both sides of the field. He was almost impossible to keep on strike, could always find the boundary and had a very good defense too.

Should have been a #6.

cnerd123

likes this
Gem of a player. As a lanky tall bespectacled spinner growing up, he was one of my idols. Watching him and Murali Kartik made me want to learn how to bowl left handed.

Such a great role model and servant to NZ cricket. One fears history won't hold him in as high a regard as it should.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fine career, Dan Vettori. Excellent cricketer for the BCs and deserving of a lot of praise.

Also seems like a cracking fella, and I have heard him described by female friends as the thinking woman's cricketing *** symbol.

thierry henry

International Coach
The "nerd" thing with Vettori never really made sense to me. I don't need my "female friends" to tell me the bloke is pure ***. The face, the beard, that baritone voice, plus he's 6'3" and strongly built (skinny? Maybe 15 years ago). Plus there's the whole PLAYING INTERNATIONAL SPORT AT 18 thing. I mean, his jock credentials are pretty well established.

tl;dr- overrated as a bowler, underrated as an uber-masculine slice of ***ual charisma.