• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

vandem

International 12th Man
...Mitchell Santner. Living in WA never heard of him. Looking at Stats only 20 matches at 27 and 28 Ford and Plunket Shield. Not exactly setting the world on fire bit still young.
...To be honest no big changes and only one bolter in Santner...
Not really a bolter. With Vettori retired and NMac aged 34, there needs to be a new ODI / T20 spinner in the next couple of years.

Santner had a good limited over season, in 50 over cricket this season 326 runs @ 36, SR 99 with 11 wickets @ 36 at 4.9 RPO. Not so many batting chances in T20 but tidy bowling, 7 games, 28 overs at 5.6 RPO.

IMHO a Hesson / Edgar selection very similar to picking Anderson and Neesham in early 2013 ahead of Ellis, have decided that Santner has potential to be a long term international player and needs a 2-3 year run in the squad to see what he is capable of.

Flem274*

123/5
I think mchesson want brownlie to prove himself long term like they did with guptill who scored heavily for a number of seasons. They're trying to stop the cycle of last seasons best domestic opener becoming this season's test spud.

They do have a historyof randomly dropping brownlie though

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
A little surprised that they didn't try and keep Sodhi in the squad by giving him a go in the LO stuff. He's had a couple of pretty good seasons for ND.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Surprises for me.

Mitchell Santner. Living in WA never heard of him. Looking at Stats only 20 matches at 27 and 28 Ford and Plunket Shield. Not exactly setting the world on fire bit still young.
He was very impressive in the domestic one day final last for ND against Wellington. Bats and fields well too. After that I was hoping he might make the World Cup squad, but Vettori managed to regain fitness (and proved his class again).

I feel sorry for Neesham, missing out on the WC and now getting injured ahead of the IPL and an England tour.

Last edited:

JediNudist

U19 Debutant
I think mchesson want brownlie to prove himself long term like they did with guptill who scored heavily for a number of seasons. They're trying to stop the cycle of last seasons best domestic opener becoming this season's test spud.

They do have a history of randomly dropping brownlie though
Yes its time to stop the merry go round of players in and out of the side every test match. Between the middle 90s up until the last few years if you for a 5 For or a couple centuries in a row in domestic you were in the test side. Many players were just not suited to test. The search goes on for a stable opening partnership in tests. I thought Rutherford was it but he just hasn't kicked on.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
A little surprised that they didn't try and keep Sodhi in the squad by giving him a go in the LO stuff. He's had a couple of pretty good seasons for ND.
I agree with you on this, i though nmac would have retired, and given bmac belief in attack and the success of Tahir they would have looked at bringing in a leggie for experience.

The other one that i still find puzzling is luke ronchi's continued inclusion in the test squad surely if they need a back up keeper they can look at giving brad cachopa or derek de border some experience on tour. As i dont really think ronchis keeping is that good and his batting is debatable at test level.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I agree with you on this, i though nmac would have retired, and given bmac belief in attack and the success of Tahir they would have looked at bringing in a leggie for experience.

The other one that i still find puzzling is luke ronchi's continued inclusion in the test squad surely if they need a back up keeper they can look at giving brad cachopa or derek de border some experience on tour. As i dont really think ronchis keeping is that good and his batting is debatable at test level.
Sometimes I think it boils down to the selectors wanting to keep their word to a player. Before Ronchi would have come here he would have spoken to a high ranking official and certain concepts and expectations would have been discussed. No promises would have been made but given that he gave up a bit to come here we will want to give him every opportunity to succeed so that we stay true to those initial discussions. Keeping your word is a big concept for those in charge, although they will break it if circumstances dictate.

I am pulling this out of my ass obviously but that is my theory anyway.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Whinging about Todd Astle not being included . Methinks provincial loyalties are are blinding many Stuff comments as well.
Normally I and many other CWers don't read Stuff comments, youtube comments, or even cricinfo comments... all three of those are filled with trolls.

Greenlite

U19 Debutant
Sodhi not picked because of the condition and Craig/Santmer beat him for the only spot? NMac = incumbent+loyalty.

Thought they could give Brownlie and Munro a go but not to be.

ODI side looks like a sequel to the WC squad, with inclusion of Elliot and Ronchi, thought they would play Watling for ODIs since he is a better keeper, likely 2019 keeper, against a weak English side, and Ronchi proving he cannot handle big match stuff.

Not a truly look to the future type squad, oh well, meaning we will beat the world this year =) aiming for World No. 1 I see.

Mike5181

International Captain
Sometimes I think it boils down to the selectors wanting to keep their word to a player. Before Ronchi would have come here he would have spoken to a high ranking official and certain concepts and expectations would have been discussed. No promises would have been made but given that he gave up a bit to come here we will want to give him every opportunity to succeed so that we stay true to those initial discussions. Keeping your word is a big concept for those in charge, although they will break it if circumstances dictate.

I am pulling this out of my ass obviously but that is my theory anyway.
He's not there because the selectors are "keeping their word". He's there because he's performed very well for Wellington, and he's legitimately the next best keeper batsman.

The Home of CricketArchive

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Also, with Brownlie. Keep in mind he missed start of season as in UAE and then missed the last round with injury so still only opened in 6 games in his career. So, selectors probably thinking that's not enough yet for facing a duke on May. So, actually maybe a good one for Dean to miss. He'll be looking even better by July.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
He's not there because the selectors are "keeping their word". He's there because he's performed very well for Wellington, and he's legitimately the next best keeper batsman.

The Home of CricketArchive
He doesn't look technically robust hence my comment - regardless of his run a ball centuries.

Edit - that said - yes his stats don't hurt his cause.

2nd edit - i am not that fussed like I said I pulled the theory out of thin air and have no evidence for it. Just thought it would make an interesting point

Last edited: