• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Heh, I couldn't remember Wells having done anything this season and was wondering if I was becoming delusional after reading the last few pages. I think we're all part of a Kippax social experiment in CW hype generation :p

I still like Wells' gentle Jacques Kallis windmill bowling action and Jacob Oram batting but he surely has to go down as an underperformer at present.

91Jmay

International Coach
Last year's Lord's pitch was not flat. In fact, an accurate medium-fast bowler who can control movement would have dominated on last year's pitch.
Last years Lords was a greenest grass top in recent memory, that once grass came off was easy to bat on. Was not a difficult pitch. No chance they doctor pitch like that again so will be its normal flat self like it was virtually from day 2 onwards.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Please no Brownlie or Guptill at 6 - yuck. If either is in the side then it's to open. Anderson getting another random injury is rubbish - I fear two promising allrounders sitting injured on the sidelines is going to be a common sight for us in the next few seasons, rather than giving us a selection dilemma as we all imagined.

A good chance for Doug 'genuine allrounder' Bracewell to step up then :ph34r:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Sam Wells has underachieved with the bat imo. His conversion rate is shocking and when you watch him bat he looks very competent. I remember his 70 odd in the Milne rampage on a green seamer a few years ago was a class above.
Yeah this was an interesting innings Phlegm.

Probably a better bat than Rutherford, if he'd been willing to Rigor himself and open in red ball cricket.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah and Tim Johnston really is a deserving 61-averaging spinner. PEWS will survey him technically for you and tell you he really does deserve to be doing worse than Marty Kain.

That's what happens when the game is run by the abacus-minded primary sector man, for a largely abacus-minded primary sector population. A butch and inarticulate game of chance develops, not a game of any real propriety or craft.

cnerd123

likes this
81mph caused problems at Lord's last time just fine.

I love how, in this clip, Southee and Boult hold themselves back at the delivery stride instead of steaming through the crease like the usually do. They sort of stay upright and just place the ball in the right area, instead of bending their backs and flinging it down as hard as they can. Allows them to put more wrist work on the ball. So good to watch.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I love how, in this clip, Southee and Boult hold themselves back at the delivery stride instead of steaming through the crease like the usually do. They sort of stay upright and just place the ball in the right area, instead of bending their backs and flinging it down as hard as they can. Allows them to put more wrist work on the ball. So good to watch.
You're the sort of cricketer and cricket fan I want to see become a bit more prevalent in New Zealand, for sure. Mark Geenty would've just seen Boult down at 77mph and wanted to give him a cup of concrete, harden up and get in the toilet wall contest.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, especially Southee. Have tired of pointing out to the bend-your-back crowd that McGrath and Ambrose were two of the most upright bowlers, and there was a reason for that.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I've always enjoyed how late Wells plays the ball. I think he'd be a better county cricketer than he is a Plunket Shield player but Test cricket is probably slightly above his station, even in conditions that would suit.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
He was injured a fair bit, from memory. Was only really fully fit during the OD comp, where I believe he actually did quite well.