• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Honestly I think the NZ fans are over-analysing the game looking for reasons for the loss that aren't there. Both sides played well in patches, just that when England had a moment they got further ahead in the game than NZ did. It took something really special from two guns to flatten them, Stokes scored all but two super quick tons in the match and then took a couple of key wickets with the ball. That's cricket and it was one of the best adverts for the 5-day game in years.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Honestly I think the NZ fans are over-analysing the game looking for reasons for the loss that aren't there. Both sides played well in patches, just that when England had a moment they got further ahead in the game than NZ did. It took something really special from two guns to flatten them, Stokes scored all but two super quick tons in the match and then took a couple of key wickets with the ball. That's cricket and it was one of the best adverts for the 5-day game in years.
So much this.

Daemon

that's all they ever do on cw tbf

Zinzan

So guys...what about Craig? He hasn't been discussed in much detail here and imo his poor performance was a massive factor in letting England back into the game. Root really took him apart at times and that probably dented his confidence but if he fails again the next match does he stay on or is it back to Sodhi? Imo Ish is one of the best batsmen in the tail i've ever seen and was a big reason why NZ's tail has been strong in recent times.
Unfortunately we don't have other options. I'm not sure Sodhi is even on tour and I'm certainly not convinced he'd offer anymore than Craig.

I'm probably the wrong person to comment on Craig tbf, because I've always felt he's got cheap wickets in the past and have never rated him.

He's just not accurate enough to be a factor against the better test sides in anything other than on absolute dust-bowls. I don't think he could have bowled worse to Cook if he tried when we still had a slight lead on day 4... by the end of his 2nd over, England were about 30 ahead.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Unfortunately we don't have other options. I'm not sure Sodhi is even on tour and I'm certainly not convinced he'd offer anymore than Craig.

I'm probably the wrong person to comment on Craig tbf, because I've always felt he's got cheap wickets in the past and have never rated him.

He's just not accurate enough to be a factor against the better test sides in anything other than on absolute dust-bowls. I don't think he could have bowled worse to Cook if he tried when we still had a slight lead on day 4... by the end of his 2nd over, England were about 30 ahead.
Is there no decent youngsters coming up that NZ could look at? It really would be a shame if Southee and Boult go through their peak without any decent support. Henry might be that man but as we saw in this test if one of southee or boult are not in their groove the game can be take away from NZ.

Zinzan

Is there no decent youngsters coming up that NZ could look at? It really would be a shame if Southee and Boult go through their peak without any decent support. Henry might be that man but as we saw in this test if one of southee or boult are not in their groove the game can be take away from NZ.
There's no good promising spinners on the horizon (outside Sodhi for those who think he may develop into the goods)...no. Not that I'm aware of.

OverratedSanity

Not really. Most of the posts have been discussing legitimate reasons for the loss anyway, not really any dumb factors which didn't affect the match's outcome.

Surely discussing Southee and Craig's bowling and McCullum 's position in the batting order are talking points because they absolutely did hurt NZ (atleast Southee and craig' s bowling did). Finding what went wrong with the team in a match which they really shouldn't have lost after the position they were in at one stage is what a match thread us for right?

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

Zinzan

Not really. Most of the posts have been discussing legitimate reasons for the loss anyway, not really any dumb factors which didn't affect the match's outcome.

Surely discussing Southee and Craig's bowling and McCullum 's position in the batting order are certainly talking points because they absolutely did hurt NZ (atleast Southee and craig' s bowling did). Finding what went wrong with the team in a match which they really shouldn't have lost after the position they were in at one stage is what a match thread us for right?
Agree, thought that was an average post tbh. Almost suggesting NZ fans should just accept England played well (which they did btw), without being entitled to look examine the areas in which NZ let themselves down in the match. And we really did let ourselves down in certain areas.

Zinzan

Actually, seems he declined a recall to the NZ team for its tour of the WI last year, so perhaps he is still technically eligible.

Let's find out and get him in there for Headingley. I'll even forgive him if he does a 'Stuart Broad' with the bat and doesn't get in behind the ball. :p

He can't do any worse than Craig, and he's had experience on all these English grounds now, saying nothing of his being one of the Wisden cricketers of the year in 2014.

Last edited:

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Yip jeets is available for headingly he only ruled himself out for the WI tour, he took 4 wickets last night on a dodgy pitch.
I wonder if craig just struggled bowling with the slope as he got lots of wickets in the warms ups, but after his first spell he was just terrible with bat and ball.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I thought he's been ruled out from playing for NZ. Isn't he a Kolpak cricketer now?
Nope, he's Warks' 1 overseas cricketer, and he's stated in interviews that he's still keen to play for NZ. The tour of WI last year came at a particularly awkward time for him (he was negotiating a 2 year extension to his contract) and he wasn't sure if he'd even get a game for NZ in the Windies (Ish was still first choice at the time).

If NZ really wanted to win this series then Jeets really should've been the 6th or 7th name on the squad list. Yeah, I can understand that it would've been tough dropping Craig given that stats wise he hadn't done a whole lot wrong. But we dropped Bracewell for Henry despite the fact that he took 5 wickets in his last test. Sometimes you've just got to make tough calls on the basis that even though one guy hasn't done anything particularly wrong, there's just someone obviously better waiting in the wings.

There probably isn't an NZ cricketer going around with more experience of English conditions than Jeets, and he's been the best spinner in county cricket for the last 3 years running. A part of me is holding out hope for a Vettori-style one-off test callup for Jeets, though I'm sure it won't happen.

Howe_zat

Audio File
zinzan and bahnz completely ignoring this :laugh:

Zinzan

Nope, he's Warks' 1 overseas cricketer, and he's stated in interviews that he's still keen to play for NZ. The tour of WI last year came at a particularly awkward time for him (he was negotiating a 2 year extension to his contract) and he wasn't sure if he'd even get a game for NZ in the Windies (Ish was still first choice at the time).

If NZ really wanted to win this series then Jeets really should've been the 6th or 7th name on the squad list. Yeah, I can understand that it would've been tough dropping Craig given that stats wise he hadn't done a whole lot wrong. But we dropped Bracewell for Henry despite the fact that he took 5 wickets in his last test. Sometimes you've just got to make tough calls on the basis that even though one guy hasn't done anything particularly wrong, there's just someone obviously better waiting in the wings.

There probably isn't an NZ cricketer going around with more experience of English conditions than Jeets, and he's been the best spinner in county cricket for the last 3 years running. A part of me is holding out hope for a Vettori-style one-off test callup for Jeets, though I'm sure it won't happen.
Yeah I agree, I was initially thinking the McHesson's might think that's overly harsh on Craig, but you make a good point .. they've done it to the likes of Bracewell and even Wagner in the past, so is this any different..

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
I think there is a better chance of Dan been called up, which is quite unfortunate.
For all the success stories of the McHesson regieme the non-selection of JS Patel remains the biggest failure

WindieWeathers

International Regular
One thing I'd be very disappointed about if i was a kiwi fan is the start of the second innings chase. Imo Guptil and Latham's main goal should have been to at least blunt the new ball for the first ten overs and anything after that is a bonus. Think back to England's last test before this one...the opposition needed 198 on a pitch doing loads and their openers were a 22 year old and a 21 year old playing his first game out of position and still those two held out for 12.5 overs. Granted they didn't score a shed load of runs (though 35 wasn't bad tbh) but merely sticking around to see off that first Anderson/Broad burst was a massive reason behind the win. If Guptil and Latham had lasted at least seven to eight overs then there's a very strong chance NZ may have held out. Those are the fine margins that can win or lose you a game.