• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Antihippy

International Debutant
Yeah, but that's because NZ approached the series in a more intelligent fashion, not because they're the better team. We pitched the ball fuller, batted more sensibly and didn't make panicked changes with little/no reason behind them. Australia just tried the exact same approach that had worked for them in Aus and SA in completely different conditions, and unsurprisingly it didn't work out so well. Maybe that makes NZ a more flexible team than Aus, but it doesn't make them a better one.
I would count being more flexible as being better honestly.

I dunno, from my point of view aus batting < NZ batting while aus bowling > NZ bowling, but it's not by huge margins either way.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah Australia are better than NZ by a bit but they really aren't that Good. Got problems in their batting. SA are the only great side in world cricket right now and even they have a few holes.

Zinzan

Not saying it does work like that but if a team is unbeaten in two years and get to 3rd in the rankings why shouldn't they be aiming to win?
Funny, I expected to come to see a sudden plethora of posts from you today. You didn't disappoint.

Athlai

Not Terrible

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
That was a good win but this was better. We didn't really pay all that badly, a bit of luck and some quality play gave England the victory. Victory was won over sessions, not due to bad players playing badly.

Only 2008 Taylor and 2008 Vettori make a case for making the current NZ team and I'd keep 2015 Taylor.
As exciting as Henry is, I'd take the more reliable O'Brilliant over him any day of the week, and not just because I'm a Wellington poster.

Zinzan

We're better than Aus in some countries but not in the two that matter
I wouldn't read too much into those back to back series against Pak in the UAE late last year. The 3rd test was hardly 'normal circumstances' to be fair. But granted, even if we do give NZ the UAE based on that... what other countries are we better than them in?

Athlai

Not Terrible
As exciting as Henry is, I'd take the more reliable O'Brilliant over him any day of the week, and not just because I'm a Wellington poster.
O'Brien was great on that tour too. He'd possibly make it, but I don't think it's that big a loss either way.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
That was a good win but this was better. We didn't really pay all that badly, a bit of luck and some quality play gave England the victory. Victory was won over sessions, not due to bad players playing badly.

Only 2008 Taylor and 2008 Vettori make a case for making the current NZ team and I'd keep 2015 Taylor.
This team would be phenomenal with 2008 Vettori over the last two years.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
With this side, on an ongoing basis, absolutely. Maybe - maybe - you'd take Henry in England but hardly anywhere else.

Zinzan

You'd more than make the 'case' for Vettori. He got a couple of cheap 5-fers in that '08 tout IIRC.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Could you imagine Vettori buying us an extra 8 or so overs today and having O'Brien at 11, blocked out the last ball of the day with his knackers? Would be glorious.

Zinzan

I can't be arsed checking now, but in the 10 or so test we've played in England since 2004, I swear we've been in winning/dominant positions in 4-5 of them, only to fall over at the last. Seems such a momentum thing for us in England.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I can't be arsed checking now, but in the 10 or so test we've played in England since 2004, I swear we've been in winning/dominant positions in 4-5 of them, only to fall over at the last. Seems such a momentum thing for us in England.
Yeah, in order:

1st test - set England 290 to win on day 5 - bowled pies and lost.
2nd test - scored 400 plus on a tough batting pitch, but then bowled pies to let England somehow score 500 even as the pitch became a minefield, before finally being skittled for 100 in our second innings.
3rd test - Got a strong first innings lead and made an excellent start to our second innings, before the middle order folded and England scrapped their way home to win by 4 wickets.

2nd test - the big one. 180 run first innings lead that we somehow contrived to lose.
3rd test - had England 90/5 shortly after lunch on day 1, but let them run up 360, before folding twice.

1st test - held the edge for most of the test until spectacularly imploding on the 4th morning.

OverratedSanity

Yeah, in order:

1st test - set England 290 to win on day 5 - bowled pies and lost.
2nd test - scored 400 plus on a tough batting pitch, but then bowled pies to let England somehow score 500 even as the pitch became a minefield, before finally being skittled for 100 in our second innings.
3rd test - Got a strong first innings lead and made an excellent start to our second innings, before the middle order folded and England scrapped their way home to win by 4 wickets.

2nd test - the big one. 180 run first innings lead that we somehow contrived to lose.
3rd test - had England 90/5 shortly after lunch on day 1, but let them run up 360, before folding twice.

1st test - held the edge for most of the test until spectacularly imploding on the 4th morning.
That's basically how almost our entire overseas record of the last year or so reads. :(

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I reckon England have a psychological edge in Test cricket as they are used to playing 5 day games, whereas we are not. So often superior skill takes us ahead by the end of Day 3 and then we seem to lose it mentally, esp. against Australia and England.

Dream victory for any England supporter this Test, came from behind on a number of occasions. Immense disappointment for NZ, just couldn't put them away despite playing ourselves into the lead.

It can't be often that you take 20 wickets and score 500+ in your first innings and lose.

The question now is: can England play that well two times in a row?