• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Niall

International Coach
Anderson for Ronchi? So you mean Watling should be retained as a middle order bat I presume.

From the audio feed and cricinfo it seemed like a typical Anderson innings - always positive and looking to move on with it, but keeping the opposition interested with minimal footwork and some very ill advised shots. Personally i would stick with him as he's very much a pet project in the test side, not yet a genuine no.6 but delivering often enough to suggest he'll make the position his own eventually. I'd have Baz and Latham swap batting positions if Latham is to keep. Ronchi a luxury NZ can't afford against this opposition IMO.
Watling is more than good enough to be in this side even if he can't keep. A lower order of Bmac, Ronchi, Anderson,and the bowlers is one that could be ripped apart quite quickly. However if Watling can't play, I'd get Latham to take the gloves as a once off, and maybe bring in Brownlie to add some steel to the middle order.

It wasn't even the top and middle order playing shots. It was the tail. Some of the shots Craig and Southee were playing were just wtf.
Southee is a lost cause, at least Broad had the excuse he got roughed up by Aaron and the Hughes incident was in the back of his mind. Southee just doesn't seem to care which is a massive shame.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
I mean, the last wicket partnership had played out what, 8? overs without many alarms other than a couple of edges off Anderson. Then Boult just decides he'll try and stick one in the stands.

It was literally as if he'd been listening to Spark ranting about the 3rd man position on comms and decided to go "this is why he's there, watch" before belting the ball straight to him.
Yeah, that was pure comedy gold. Seemed out to destroy the good work Watling and Anderson had done.

Escaped my mind that Mark Wood made the vital contrubution of getting Watling's wicket. Likely starter for the Ashes?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
It wasn't even the top and middle order playing shots. It was the tail. Some of the shots Craig and Southee were playing were just wtf.
The defensive aspect of Southee's batting has really atrophied in the last 4 years. I remember him just starting to resemble a test number 8 with a 50 against Pakistan back in 2011, but he just can't be bothered with it these days. I think he legitimately believes he'll last longer swiping at the ball than he does batting defensively, and to be fair he might be right.

Craig has no such excuse. He's played a handful of quality rearguard innings in his international career (admittedly in far easier batting conditions than these), he should be better.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
The defensive aspect of Southee's batting has really atrophied in the last 4 years. I remember him just starting to resemble a test number 8 with a 50 against Pakistan back in 2011, but he just can't be bothered with it these days. I think he legitimately believes he'll last longer swiping at the ball than he does batting defensively, and to be fair he might be right.

Craig has no such excuse. He's played a handful of quality rearguard innings in his international career (admittedly in far easier batting conditions than these), he should be better.
He was really good in that innings at seddon park, best I have ever seen him bat. He has convinced himself (or someone has convinced him) that he cant defend so why bother.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maintain that ww is the worst poster on CW. So bad that I refuse to use capital letters in his initials.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Yeah, and while we're at it, Bell got out first over on day 4 as well. The **** can't bat properly to save his life either. Christ.
The point is, much like Gayle Baz simply isn't reliable in those tense situations. Happened in the world cup final and it happened again today. Class player no doubt but just doesn't know how to play a defensive game imo.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Maintain that ww is the worst poster on CW. So bad that I refuse to use capital letters in his initials.
Is there any need for this? Bahnz had a go at me when i predicted that Baz wouldn't be reliable today and my prediction couldn't have been more right. So i've done nothing wrong here.

Niall

International Coach
The point is, much like Gayle Baz simply isn't reliable in those tense situations. Happened in the world cup final and it happened again today. Class player no doubt but just doesn't know how to play a defensive game imo.
To be fair, NZ wouldn't have got to the final without his ferocious innings in the semi final. He ****ed up in the final for sure, but to much is made up of it, don't forget it they were 150/3 at one stage and collapsed to 183 all out, it wasn't his fault they lost the final.

This test? Yeah not his finest moment, but did you see his 200 against Pakistan and triple against India? They would have lost those series without him, both of those innings came when they looked somewhat doomed.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
To be fair, NZ wouldn't have got to the final without his ferocious innings in the semi final. He ****ed up in the final for sure, but to much is made up of it, don't forget it they were 150/3 at one stage and collapsed to 183 all out, it wasn't his fault they lost the final.

This test? Yeah not his finest moment, but did you see his 200 against Pakistan and triple against India? They would have lost those series without him, both of those innings came when they looked somewhat doomed.
If this post were an innings it'd be a gritty 57 scored on a green top under chilly grey skies on day 1 of a county fixture between Yorkshire and Worcester.

Last edited:

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Cmon guys. There's no point in arguing with someone who speaks such irrefutable truth all the time. Just agree with him and get on with it.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is there any need for this? Bahnz had a go at me when i predicted that Baz wouldn't be reliable today and my prediction couldn't have been more right. So i've done nothing wrong here.
You never fail to waltz in when NZ are in a bad position just to rub it in and nothing else. You come into a thread for the sole purpose of being smug. I don't think it's trolling and I wouldn't ban you for it, but it's by far the worst posting I've seen on this forum.

I can literally see the smile on your face when their players do badly, it's that obvious.