• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Brownlies the same at tests though.10 tests at 29.
Colin Monro is averging 56 in first class hitying 43 sixes.Give him a go.
Are you suggesting that Munro should open in Tests? If so, that's one of the worst ideas I've heard in a while. Getting him to open in England would be carnage and yes, I believe it would be worse than opening with Spudderford, Brownlie or Guptill. Plus, just because he can hit sixes? Wtf?

Spark

Global Moderator
Iain O'Brien @iainobrien
Quite a bit of talk earlier today regarding 4 day Tests. Hearing some disturbing news already about this. 1/n

Iain O'Brien @iainobrien
I've just heard, rather reliable source, that the BLACKCAPS Test @ Trent Bridge is going to be the first to trial this system. 2/n

Iain O'Brien @iainobrien
110 overs per day. 3 sessions. 2 1/2 per session.

If overs not completed in day play starts that many overs early the next day. 3/n

Iain O'Brien @iainobrien
All overs to be bowled on last day - play until result or overs completed. 4/n

Iain O'Brien @iainobrien
That did not take long from inception to trial.

Where is cricket going?
If this is true this is ****ing disgusting. God ****ing damn the ECB are dickheads. Fancy using a Test against the WC finalists to trial your random thoughtbubbles.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
If this is true this is ****ing disgusting. God ****ing damn the ECB are dickheads. Fancy using a Test against the WC finalists to trial your random thoughtbubbles.
Turns out, it is first April in NZ already.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I struggled to find pictures that capture it but Henry with his all new grown-up face and hairdo is a dead ringer for Jeremy Coney imo.

Anyone else see it?

All aboard the Henry train for the tour of England. Toot tooot!

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Neesham has a very good average of 43 for tests as a batsman.He is competing directly with Cory Anderson for the all rounder spot if Guptill opens and Macca bats at 5. I would go with Corey at this stage. Southee and Boult definitely and either Henry , Wagnrr or Bracewell.Spinner is Craig people think ?
Colin Munro deserves to be selected again.Averging 56 striking at 106. Hes hit 46 sixes ! Head and shoulders over nearist rival Stephan Murdoch
Brownlies the same at tests though.10 tests at 29.
Colin Monro is averging 56 in first class hitying 43 sixes.Give him a go.
The averages don't mean a great deal, especially over such small numbers of games. High domestic batting averages should also be taken with a grain of salt and you need to look at who the runs were scored against and where - Munro has pedigree... at dining out in the lower middle order ('engine room') on flat wickets against bowlers that aren't moving the ball much. He has a very good eye. But against quality bowling or against a newer ball - nah. He might be an option in ODIs but from what everyone has seen to date and unless something big has changed, is nowhere near test level.

I would go for Neesham over Anderson for England ftr. Neither inspire a great deal of confidence against a swinging duke but Anderson is the more suspect of the two against good bowling in the off/just-outside-off corridor imo. Neesham a little more unpredictable which works to his advantage.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Munro does deserve to be selected again. However he is fighting for a spot a #5 or #6 and is still behind McCullum, Anderson and Neesham for that spot. It is a 2 Test series so we won't have a large squad and unfortunately shouldn't get picked. Squad of 18 and he should definitely be there.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Brownlie v Guptill and Dougeh v Henry v Wagner in the tour matches. Neesham (fitness pending) v Anderson too. Neesham has had two poor series in a row but has been unfairly given the downhill skier tag on here, and it's not like Corey didn't throw away starts or have a more competent technique during his time in the test team.
Agree and hope the IPL doesn't interfere too much. Pushing for Brownlie, Henry and Neesham though it's pretty rough on Dougeh to give way after one test back. I'm all for a genuine trial though i.e. if any of those players perform significantly better than the others in the warmups, they're in.

JediNudist

U19 Debutant
Are you suggesting that Munro should open in Tests? If so, that's one of the worst ideas I've heard in a while. Getting him to open in England would be carnage and yes, I believe it would be worse than opening with Spudderford, Brownlie or Guptill. Plus, just because he can hit sixes? Wtf?
How can you say Dean Brownlie is better when he has been tried at both ODIs and tests and been not really successful at either

Last edited:

JediNudist

U19 Debutant
Brownlie
Latham
KW
RT
BM
Anderson
Watling
Craig
Henry
Southee
Boult

Guptill
Wagner
Neesham
Ronchi/Bracewell

Brownlie deserves to open, having shown form actually scoring runs there, and generally being a level above the rest in Plunket Shield. Guppy gets a spot on the bench for his fielding, and to give him a taste of Test's again. I would take Anderson over Neesh, due to amount of cricket each have been playing.
Actually Colin Munro has been the best this season in the 4 day events

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How can you say Dean Brownlie is better when he has been tried at both ODIs and tests and been not really successful at either
My word. Look, Munro is competing for a spot in the middle order. There is no way that he's gonna be chucked in as an opener without any experience of it - at least in Tests. Brownlie has made a play this season to grab that openers berth by taking that role for ND. And he's scored runs doing it. I'm certainly not expecting that Brownlie will be a success and, quite frankly, someone who could average 30-35 is going to be a massive step up over what we have had in the last 10 years, but Munro is never going to average 30-35 whilst opening - in Test cricket - in English conditions - in May. How can I say Brownlie would be better? Well, he may not have been "successful" at opening (arguable) but at least he's opened. Opening is not the same as batting in the middle order and the volume of sixes scored is a complete irrelevance to opening in Test cricket.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Brownlie's stats may not be great, but he has shown good signs whenever he's played. A much better option than Guptill or Rutherford IMO.

Blain

U19 Captain
I would love to have Munro in the mix for number 6 with Anderson and Neesh, but his bowling seems to have stopped? Injuries?

IMO his cheeky little 120km seamers would probably be more effective than Neesh and Ando's bowling, which is more bounce and seam reliant.

No way in the world is he an opener. 5/6/7 only. His technique was dodgy against spinners, this would probably be his best tour to avoid that.

JediNudist

U19 Debutant
I would love to have Munro in the mix for number 6 with Anderson and Neesh, but his bowling seems to have stopped? Injuries?

IMO his cheeky little 120km seamers would probably be more effective than Neesh and Ando's bowling, which is more bounce and seam reliant.

No way in the world is he an opener. 5/6/7 only. His technique was dodgy against spinners, this would probably be his best tour to avoid that.
How about ODI opener ? Who else can we have opening with Guptil if Macca is calling it quits ?

Colin Munro
People seem to think he is middle order only . With a strike rate of 98 I think he needs a chance to open

Rob Nicol Who could forget his debut century but at 31 perhaps long in the tooth. Averages 30 in ODIs and 52 this domestic season

George Worker
Former NZ under 19. 25 years old .Averaging 48 this season . Has opened for CD

Henry Nicholls 23 yrs old averaging 40

Dean Brownlie

Any other names ?