• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Azhar Ali as Captain?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Examples?
Azhar Ali and Virat Kohli :ph34r:

In all seriousness, Graeme Smith, obviously and Lara (who's said that even though he struggled to come to terms with it for a while, it was the extra responsibility which lit a fire under his butt for the 99 series vs Australia after their 5-0 defeat in SA made him feel personally responsible for the state of the team) are the two who come to mind for me.

OverratedSanity

Also, I seem to remember Inzi saying that him being given the captaincy in 03 is one of the reasons he was motivated enough to have a great run of scores in 04-05 I think. He was old as **** by then though, so doesn't really prove my point about youngsters.

Does go to show though, that captaincy isn't necessarily a burden which will affect your output as a batsman negatively.

91Jmay

International Coach
Cook was an animal both ODI and Tests when he was first appointed as well although not a young player. But then Ali isn't young either.

Daemon

There's also Holder who looks like the responsibility has done him good, Mushfiqur who's batting improved a lot when he was captain (though whether thats a coincidence I'm not sure) along with Angelo Mathews who's been a beast since taking over.

But the main one that stands out is Dhoni imo. Completely changed his game in a remarkable way which allowed him to be decent in Tests. Of course looking at some of his performances in England one wouldn't say he was trying to be responsible but in all other areas there was definitely a huge change in thinking.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
IMO Kapil was the only Indian captain who didn't let the captaincy dictate his batting style.

Niall

International Coach
Good start, some are annoyed he batted first today, but Pakistan have a horror time chasing.

I'd like to think they won't give up on Shezhad, but its going to be very tricky to fit both he and Azhar in the same side. Tricky one.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
IMO Kapil was the only Indian captain who didn't let the captaincy dictate his batting style.
I didn't see Kaps bat in the 80s. In the 90s though, he was horrendous. Just went to slog every thing and was terribly irresponsible. Was exciting though when it clicked and he hit those two sixes before he got out.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Had played remarkably few ODIs before taking over. Seems a very English move to treat the ODI captaincy as a vice captaincy position. Seems very un-English in that it appears to have worked.