• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ Black Caps future squad and road ahead

Greenlite

U19 Debutant
What a night, hopefully Kiwi fans will reflect on Bc's achievement in a few days and feel happy and proud, and thanks Black Caps :)

I am not an expert on this but I will be interested to hear everyone's thought on the NZ ODI/test team from here on, and the rebuilding phase towards England 19.

Vettori, Mills, Elliot will be retiring before the next WC.

BMac, Taylor, NMac and Ronchi will be considering it during the next 4 years.

Southee, Boult, Mitch (?) will be almost 30.

Williamson, Anderson, Milne and Henry will be at their peak.

Wattling, Neesham, Sodhi, Craig (?) will be making their claim.

Thoughts??

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
You forgot Tommy Latham - the kid should be class. I'm sure there will be some Bracewells playing ODIs for NZ and I'd like to see the likes of Santner and Munro get a crack. Will Young? Cleaver? Mitchell?

jcas0167

International Debutant
Guys like Glenn Phillips and Tim Seifert should be emerging by then. Possibly Christian Leopard. Maybe Jacob Duffy & Mitchell Santner in the bowling.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Apparently Elliott said today he'll play for NZ as long as he possibly can. Legend. All hail the Jav.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Neesham has a stress fracture, bad signs.

Does Waltlng open? Latham groomed as an opener?
Latham will get better as he gains experience. Watling really should have been selected ahead of him for this WC on that basis. By 2019 Latham may well be a starting opener, or could take on a number 4 or 5 role. I would see Watling more as a middle order player in an Elliot type role in 2019 if he is playing well. The players I mentioned above, Seifert & Phillips could potentially open also.

Flem274*

123/5
Nothing matters ODI wise except the 2019 world cup

we have a good chance coming up to get the first crack at English conditions. that means we can get designing a team for those conditions early.

the final convinced me that there's no such thing as too much cake in a knock out, even though 90% of your other odis won't need it. england also favours cake.

Greenlite

U19 Debutant
So possible target 2019:

1. Guptill
2. Latham
3. Williamson (c)
4. Watling (wk)
5. Anderson
6. Neesham
7. ?
8. NMac/Santner
9. Milne
10. Henry
11. Boult

Back ups

2. Munro/Phillips/Seifert (the later two are school boys now!)
5. Taylor if he's fit and in good form
7. BMac if he is fit and can play the cameo/finisher role, or a sober Jess Ryder but doubt it.

Bowling back up - Southee, Duffy, Mitch, Bracewell.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nathan McCullum will surely be gone. Even if he's still playing (he'll be 39), I'd be disappointed if Santner and/or Sodhi weren't better options than him by then.

I'd be looking towards this:

1. Guptill
2. Latham
3. Williamson
4. Taylor
5. Watling
6. Anderson
7. Neesham
8. Santner
9. Milne/Henry
10. Southee
11. Boult

That team is definitely a bit more cakey than the current one, with Watling being a more pure cake than Elliott who can play an icing role if needed, and Latham in for McCullum, but I still think it's balanced pretty well. Santner offers potentially more icing than Vettori.

The fact that so many of the side should still be playing is great. BMac might even still be there if he decides ODIs are what he wants to focus on and his back holds out; plenty of older players than him still playing at this WC.

Last edited:

Greenlite

U19 Debutant
Wow didn't know NMac is 35 now, thought he's the same age as BMac.

Don't see any physical reason for BMac not to still play a smaller role in 2019, is slip position less straining on the back? If Dan with his history can play then I'm sure BMac would be good enough to keep going. But I have a feeling he'll move onto the breeding business by then.

Anderson looks like he can be more cake than icing if he gets more experience, and would be formidable at 5, but with Watling and Neesham he'll probably need to take on the finisher role, unless Neesham stays fit and learns Elliot's tricks, or we have BMac at No.7 to hit the winning runs in the WC final.

JediNudist

U19 Debutant
What a night, hopefully Kiwi fans will reflect on Bc's achievement in a few days and feel happy and proud, and thanks Black Caps :)

I am not an expert on this but I will be interested to hear everyone's thought on the NZ ODI/test team from here on, and the rebuilding phase towards England 19.

Vettori, Mills, Elliot will be retiring before the next WC.

BMac, Taylor, NMac and Ronchi will be considering it during the next 4 years.

Southee, Boult, Mitch (?) will be almost 30.

Williamson, Anderson, Milne and Henry will be at their peak.

Wattling, Neesham, Sodhi, Craig (?) will be making their claim.

Thoughts??
Southee Boult and Mitch will be hitting their peak bar injury at 30. As Mitchel Johnson showed if you can keep fit you can be effective.