• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Clarke announces ODI retirement.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was going to say, couldn't he have waited til after the final?

Nah, good on him. Had a fine career, especially around that 07 WC win. Hope it prolongs his test career for a few years

Swingpanzee

International Regular
if it extends his test career by a year or two it would be great. He is not essential in ODIs anyways

been a great ODI career for him

indiaholic

International Captain
Personally I am happy with this. Love to see him bat and this should help prolong his test career by a couple of years.

indiaholic

International Captain
Who would be the obvious replacement? Bailey has been going through a bad run of form since the India tour, no?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Great opportunity for Smith to take the ODI captaincy and sit as Clarke's VC in the test team for a year or two.

I think Clarke has had a significantly better ODI career than a lot of people give him credit for. Never a power player, but has played some great innings over a long career.

Hoping he bats at #4 tomorrow and tons up, or that he doesn't have to bat at all...

Flem274*

123/5
storm in a teacup brewing over his timing of the announcement. apparently the aussie journos at the conference think he's making it all about him.

source - bryan waddle who also thinks clarke is being dire so grains of salt etc

i couldn't care less when clarke announced it. meh.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
storm in a teacup brewing over his timing of the announcement. apparently the aussie journos at the conference think he's making it all about him.

source - bryan waddle who also thinks clarke is being dire so grains of salt etc

i couldn't care less when clarke announced it. meh.
Good luck to him........I reckon the timing is perfect. Can't see why Clarke shouldn't have a farewell game, and if it happens to be a WC final at home then good for him.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
A World Cup Final at home is the perfect time to retire irrespective of the result IMO.