• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Clarke announces ODI retirement.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think Bleed_Blue's post deserved any serious responses at all. It was absurd.
Come on, you should know by now that I demolish absurd arguments before pointing out how superfluous demolishing them actually was because they are so self-evidently absurd.

Likes for days, mate.

dfrinku

U19 Debutant
Is Clarke selfish because if they win it will be about him? Or is he selfish because there will be more pressure on his teammates?

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Come on, you should know by now that I demolish absurd arguments before pointing out how superfluous demolishing them actually was because they are so self-evidently absurd.

Likes for days, mate.
the other thing is im sure clarke is getting **** for it in other places, coz everything clarke does is questioned by a sizeable group of people, so of course we're gonna respond

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Exactly, it's become the Clarke show, it was the same before the World Cup, will he be fit won't he be fit? Dominated headlines and threatened to derail a stable team.
Didn't realise Clarke's influence went as far as him writing the headlines. Amazing.

And it clearly derailed as stable team. Seeing as we are about to play in the final and haven't dropped a game.

8-)

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
the other thing is im sure clarke is getting **** for it in other places, coz everything clarke does is questioned by a sizeable group of people, so of course we're gonna respond
Yeah, there's been that trend for Clarke to cop **** for breathing because people have already decided that he's a **** who deserves to be crucified for everything because of who he was nearly 10 years ago. 2015 Clarke and 2008 Clarke are completely different in almost every way.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Great player, leader and seems a fantastic bloke too. Sad to see him retiring from odi cricket , he will be missed. Hopefully Smith gets captaincy..

adub

International Captain
Well done Pup, scratchy start, but finished well on top as befits a champion.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Exactly, it's become the Clarke show, it was the same before the World Cup, will he be fit won't he be fit? Dominated headlines and threatened to derail a stable team.

A great player but also a very selfish one IMO.
it turned into the clarke show ftr. selfish of him

burr

State Vice-Captain
What a player he is/was. A truly class act. I love Smith and have always championed him but he is not as class as Clarke. It was Ponting. Clarke. The last two great Aussie batsmen. Will be missed a lot more than many people recognise.

Swingpanzee

International Regular
What makes him truly great is how he developed into the classy cricketer he is today over the course of his career. I won't say too much about him now since he still plays tests and Bailey's done the leading in ODIs for a good time in the past year or so - will pay tribute to them sometime later when he call it quits from tests. But he's had an ODI career to be proud of.

Darkh

Cricket Spectator
Good for him.

Now he is in the long line of great aussie captains who win world cups and announce their retirement just after that. :laugh:

Xuhaib

International Coach
could not believe my eyes when I saw he had 8 K @ 44 don't remember one standout odi innings from him infact don;t remember him playing much odie's for past 4-5 years must have been really gun in fist half of his odi career.

Debris

International 12th Man
could not believe my eyes when I saw he had 8 K @ 44 don't remember one standout odi innings from him infact don;t remember him playing much odie's for past 4-5 years must have been really gun in fist half of his odi career.
He played less but he was better statistically over the second half of his career.

He has averaged 47 since 2009 in 105 games with 5 of his 8 hundreds. Bowling has fallen away though.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Who would be the obvious replacement? Bailey has been going through a bad run of form since the India tour, no?
I think we should look at Chris Lynn, Peter Handscomb and Nic Maddinson. Although we might just continue Watto for a while and just play bring in Mitch Marsh, giving him some extra batting responsibility.