• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Clarke announces ODI retirement.

indiaholic

International Captain
Plus I have always felt that the best time to leave is when you are not absolutely essential to the team. All this retiring at your peak is selfish horse ****. Plus fans deserve an opportunity to say good bye. Excellent timing.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If Clarke retires immediately after the match and Aust won, media would accuse him of making it all about himself and taking attention away from his teammates.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
If Clarke retires immediately after the match and Aust won, media would accuse him of making it all about himself and taking attention away from his teammates.
That would also be true if Australia lost.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I mean, these same journalists are (rightly) pissed at MSD for doing a presser and then quitting

Bleed_Blue

School Boy/Girl Captain
Pretty selfish to announce this the day before the final, he could have either announced this at the start of the tournament or after the final, now yet again he has made this the Michael Clarke show

Spikey

yeah youre right im only interested in tomorrows games now coz its clarkes last

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Pretty selfish to announce this the day before the final, he could have either announced this at the start of the tournament or after the final, now yet again he has made this the Michael Clarke show
This could be the last World Cup final for all 22 named tomorrow. I doubt that its going to be as big of a factor as you're making out,

Bleed_Blue

School Boy/Girl Captain
yeah youre right im only interested in tomorrows games now coz its clarkes last
Exactly, it's become the Clarke show, it was the same before the World Cup, will he be fit won't he be fit? Dominated headlines and threatened to derail a stable team.

A great player but also a very selfish one IMO.

Flem274*

123/5
i don't think this is fair at all. clarke strikes me as a grounded man these days and he just wanted to get it out there quickly so he wasn't making the announcement tomorrow night or later with rumours flying. he consulted the team beforehand so he's being very australian by putting his team first.

Bleed_Blue

School Boy/Girl Captain
This could be the last World Cup final for all 22 named tomorrow. I doubt that its going to be as big of a factor as you're making out,
Huge difference between could be and will be though, once you make an announcement you are deviating attention from what matters most and that is the team, I respect Clarke a lot as a player and love watching him bat, but he's got this wrong ImO

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Huge difference between could be and will be though, once you make an announcement you are deviating attention from what matters most and that is the team, I respect Clarke a lot as a player and love watching him bat, but he's got this wrong ImO
I don't necessarily think the timing is perfect but I don't think it's selfish and I don't think it's the Clarke show now. sure, when he comes out to bat, I'll want to see a few drives through extra cover and they will mean a bit more then usual but its a huge game and its not as though he is retiring from the sport or even playing for the country.

World Cup 2019 buildup starts after tomorrow.

OverratedSanity

Yeah, Clarke's retirement will indeed take away attention from the game... it's only the world cup final after all.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
yeah, good decision.

Can't seem to remember him being crucial for Aus in ODIs
You've obviously got a short memory then.

2004-08 he was a tremendous player. Brilliant batsman who could go big when needed, economical and accurate spinner and you simply didn't take on his left arm at point.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Can we please rename the sub forum 'The Michael Clarke Retirement Parade' please

Swingpanzee

International Regular
no.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
i don't think this is fair at all. clarke strikes me as a grounded man these days and he just wanted to get it out there quickly so he wasn't making the announcement tomorrow night or later with rumours flying. he consulted the team beforehand so he's being very australian by putting his team first.
Yeah exactly. If he'd made the decision himself today and didn't announce it, it'd undoubtedly leak and he'd be accused of being selfish for letting rumours fly and derailing the lead-up to the match. Whereas here, he's gone and told the guys that tomorrow will be his last ODI (which may well motivate them a fraction more, if being a World Cup final wasn't motivation enough), quashed whatever rumours may arise immediately by announcing it, and will now get on with the job.

This is such a complete non-issue, and the posting by Bleed_Blue, in particular, isn't worthy of being taken seriously.

I mean, the only thing that you can question is why Clarke came to his decision to retire today, of all days. And if you're gonna do that, **** you, because literally everyone predicted this pre-World Cup anyway. Clarke ain't playing 2019. Clarke barely plays bilaterals anyway. Smitteh needs captaincy XP. Clarke is vital to Australia's Test hopes. Doesn't take a rocket surgeon to work that decision out.