• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mfuneko Ngam

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Ngam is back to play vs the Kiwis. He was reckoned as a great prospect before having trouble in his bones. Its a huge surprise that he has made it back to the South African team. I havent seen him much but to people who have seen him, how do you rate him?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
LIGHTNING QUICK. I've seen quite a bit of him and with an action resembling Michael Holding a bit, he is SUPER fast. Was a great pospect for SA before being injured. I hope he can still bowl like he did.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Pratyush said:
Ngam is back to play vs the Kiwis. He was reckoned as a great prospect before having trouble in his bones. Its a huge surprise that he has made it back to the South African team. I havent seen him much but to people who have seen him, how do you rate him?
Seen quite a bit of him, very very good bowler.. VERY QUICK!!

He intentionally modelled himself on AD, he resembles him in his approach to the crease.. Definitely one to watch!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd prefer him to Peterson or even Adams any day.
I was seriously impressed with Ngam when I saw him, against Sri Lanka.
Very quick, swung and seamed the ball, and was far more accurate than any young quick bowler can ever be.
No-one could comprehend that a young, quick bowler was allowed to bowl accurately.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re: Re: Mfuneko Ngam

Langeveldt said:
Seen quite a bit of him, very very good bowler.. VERY QUICK!!

He intentionally modelled himself on AD, he resembles him in his approach to the crease.. Definitely one to watch!
Borrowed the name idea, too - Black Thunder as White Lightening.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Re: Re: Re: Mfuneko Ngam

Richard said:
Borrowed the name idea, too - Black Thunder as White Lightening.
Well AD at his peak, bowling in tandem with Ngam.. That would have been worth watching...

In a sense a bit like a Sachin-Sehwag partnership :D

Mingster

State Regular
I'm not really worried about Ngam, he's coming off a long break. And I doubt he will have the accuracy needed to threaten the batsmen.

Pollock though will do that. He's our main danger.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
He might not play much but Ngam will benefit by going on tour with the National Team. It will be a great learning experiance.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Ntini and Ngam the next opening bowling partnership
And where does that leave Shaun Pollock? Surely, he's not going to come on third change, as in Dhaka, is he?

He's a far more reliable option than Ngam, who's been out of action for a long time. Probably second change for Ngam might be better.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nel and Ngam would be a partnership I'd like to see opening for SA - but not for 6 years or so.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mingster said:
I'm not really worried about Ngam, he's coming off a long break. And I doubt he will have the accuracy needed to threaten the batsmen.

Pollock though will do that. He's our main danger.
Believe me, he's far more accurate than most people believe possible.
Young, quick bowlers are capable of being accurate enough, too.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard said:
Nel and Ngam would be a partnership I'd like to see opening for SA - but not for 6 years or so.
Agreed... the emergance of Nel as being a real strike force has put a spanner in the works slightly... Makes for a lot of healthy competeition...

Ntini
Nel
Pollock
Zondeki
Ngam

Also dont discount Pretorius and Terbrugge...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My ideal South African lineup would read...

GC Smith
HH Gibbs
G Kirsten
JH Kallis
JA Rudolph
M van Jaarsveld
MV Boucher
SM Pollock
A Nel/M Ngam/M Ntini - interchangeable at 9/10/11

Lance Klusener IMO should play whenever SA are on the subcontinent.

Mingster

State Regular
Richard said:
Believe me, he's far more accurate than most people believe possible.
Young, quick bowlers are capable of being accurate enough, too.
I believe the other people than you (the one who says Bond can't swing the red ball...etc)

PY

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
Pretorius
He was an absolute donkey in England.

A Test average of 72 doesn't look great neither. But the main reason is he didn't look anything like as good as those other three mentioned.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mingster said:
I believe the other people than you (the one who says Bond can't swing the red ball...etc)
So, resorting now to twisting words.
I never said "Bond can't swing the red ball". All I said was "I have never seen him swing the red ball".
I have never seen him bowl with one.
I have seen Ngam bowl. Plenty of times. And he's far more accurate than most bowlers of his pace and age. AND he swings and seams the ball.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Agreed... the emergance of Nel as being a real strike force has put a spanner in the works slightly... Makes for a lot of healthy competeition...

Ntini
Nel
Pollock
Zondeki
Ngam

Also dont discount Pretorius and Terbrugge...
Not to mention Kallis! (Or, whisper it, Klusener)
Still not totally convinced about Zondeki - he certainly has some ability, but not enough for Tests yet.
Pretorious, meanwhile, still needs a hell of a lot of work. Again, I genuinely believe he's got some ability, but his accuracy is simply nowhere near Test standard ATM.
Terbrugge, meanwhile, has surely to be one of the most unfortunate players of recent years. A fantastic bowler if you ask me, who has taken just about every opportunity offered him, and never been granted the extended run his performances have merited.
Certainly I'd have had him in my SA side up to this summer and the emergence of Nel. Now he'd be my first reserve (yes, I do still have hopes on Adams).